FastStone Viewer

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Apr 6, 2019.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Perhaps a general thread on Faststone Viewer, which is certainly fast.

It does not permit the easy changing of white balance on raw files, although it permits the colour changing of them extensively.

2. weltweit

I am not on my home computer but I think I recall that I could batch convert Nikon NEF files into jpeg format with just the push of a few buttons. Can any other user verify this for me?

3. editor

editor hiraethified

I can't help you but it is a bloody amazing piece of free software.

4. weltweit

I remember I took 177 raws for a star trails photo and then found that my stacking software wouldn't use raws so I had to convert them to jpeg before stacking. I am pretty sure I used Faststone to batch convert all 177 images which it did quite quickly into a new directory for me. At least if I didn't use Faststone I can't imagine what else I could have used.

5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Click the 'Tools' tab and select Open Batch Convert / Rename.

weltweit likes this.
  6. weltweit

Saul, do you know if it is possible to change raw White Balance with FastStone?

7. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I honestly don't know, as I no longer use it, but I doubt it, because essentially it's just a viewer.

8. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

The only way you can change white balance in FIV is either via the Auto-Adjust Color (Ctrl+Shft+B) function, or the Adjust Color dialog (Ctrl+E) but then you have to change the RGB channels separately. It's not actually a full white-balance function.

FIV.jpg

You could achieve this via a batch process if you select Advanced Options > Adjustments from the Tools > Batch Convert Selected Images dialog, but it's fiddlier correcting colour this way than with a true white balance function.

FIV.png

weltweit likes this.
  9. weltweit

Thanks RoyReed I can see that one can change colour quite extensively but one has to know what you are doing whereas changing WB settings would have been a bit simpler.