1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Famous photographers cameras

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by stowpirate, Jul 14, 2009.

1. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

Does anybody have any idea on how to find out what the serial numbers of Robert Capa's Contax II's he used when he covered the Omaha Beach D-Day Landings are? Or did he abandon his two camera's and run like hell with the exposed film?

[​IMG]

Interesting to know if such information is available or if somebody has the actual cameras in a collection somewhere. Also it would be interesting to know what happened to other famous photographer camera kit, serial numbers and where they are now.

2. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Family i guess

3. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Don McCullen ocassionally lends to exhibitions the Nikon F that took the bullet intended for him.

Taizo Ichinose's Nikon is in the family shrine.
    [​IMG]

4. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Robert Capa was an amazing photographer. I used to know all about him at one time, before I forgot. However although I am familiar with his story and the bit about the D Day landings on 'Easy Red' and that when he stood on the exit of the landing craft to take a photo he was booted in the behind and into the water by the next soldier who just wanted to get on with the attack.

That stuff was interesting. However somehow I never hear any details of his Contax camera, least of all the serial number.

Stowpirate you are an obsessive.

5. stowpirate

In Robert Capa's case I believe he was a bit of an itinerant living in hotel rooms and constantly on the move. I do not think he had a fixed address or a family in the normal sense. More like colleagues and a string of women in his personnel life. Anyway it would be interesting to know what happened to these two Contax cameras as they would now be worth a small fortune. I have a c1938 Contax II which is well worn and heavily used and modified with flash but still fully working. It is worthless maybe £20-30 at most - forget ebay values they are well inflated above market value. But if it turned out to be Capa's camera it would be worth a small fortune!!!

[​IMG]

6. stowpirate

Thanks a lot :D

Have you read the book blood guts - Blood & Champagne by Alex Kershaw?

It would be nice to know all the facts. He also used a Rolleiflex. during WWII.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think his best work was his none war stuff.

[​IMG]

7. Hocus Eye.

Stowpirate

Thanks for pointing me to that book which I have not read. I had a bit of a look using several search engines but only managed to catch a snippet from a website as follows:

"... and to think, both of Robert Capa's cameras (Nikon S & Contax IIA BD) both survived the landmine blast that killed him! ..."

That of course was much later when he died in Vietnam. The website that the quote comes from reveals a blank when you click on the link. It is gone to that great web in the sky.

8. stowpirate

I do not know if you are based in London. if so there is a great (or was) second hand book shop in the streets opposite St Pancras station. It had loads of photographic books including technical guides to cameras.

I used to visit it when my son was in Great Ormond street if I was not in Jessops Classics: )

9. Hocus Eye.

I am almost in London but my book buying days are nearly over now. I have been a collector of English Topography books for about 30 years and my floor is full. I also have a library of photography books that fills up a bookcase. Perhaps I should put them on ebay. My nowhere near up to date catalogue is available on Librarything.com under the name HocusEye.

10. kerb

kerb trip-stop

What type of Leica did Cartier Bresson use?

I'd love to see it/them in real life, just so I could see what camera he used to take all those shots.

His camera's along with Eugne Atgets' would be great.

11. stowpirate

According to wikipedia he first used a Leica 1

[​IMG]

I imagine in his later years he used a Leica II & III, Maybe a later chrome not a black 1932 first production batch like this II.

[​IMG]

The Leica III had an additional slow speed knob in the front.

12. kerb

kerb trip-stop

I salute your knowledge sir

13. stowpirate

i only googled his Leica :D

[​IMG]

This I think is his most famous photograph :)

14. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Check the EXIF data? :hmm:

:D

pogofish likes this.
  15. Adamallen

Adamallen New Member

Well he also used the Argus c3 along side a few of the others he used about 4 or more types of cameras id imagine if you could figure out what camera he used it could be worth a bit of money