1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook hack?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Stanley Edwards, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards m©JiŢoËŞ for BŘe@ĸƑaƽƮ

Sorry - I did try a search.

I very rarely use Facebook, but received an email saying my password was changed this morning. The link was genuine, so I followed it, and saw that I was still logged in on this laptop. Instructions were to change my password, because my password had been changed. I don't really care. Can't even remember my password.

My question is: why would anyone bother to hack a Facebook account, and is there anything I should be concerned about? Will it just be some spammer crap, or even more curiously, is it just Facebook trying to regain interest?

2. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

never follow the link in an email that seems like it might be off. just log straight in to facebook via the browser instead.

why would anyone bother to hack a Facebook account?:
    Facebook is used for authentication to lots of websites these days. People can access your payment details and other information via these sites.
    Facebook contains a lot of peoples personal details. An ideal starting point for ID theft.
    Access to your Facebook allows the hacker to appear as you online. From here they can trick your friends in to providing info or money.

Will it just be some spammer crap, or even more curiously, is it just Facebook trying to regain interest?:
    Its probably a phishing attempt.
    Log into facebook directly (not via the link in the email) and change your password.
    This isn't some attempt to get you to engage in facebook. Facebook are a massive international company. They do not have to act like a teenager tryin to get someone to notice them.

dessiato likes this.
  3. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Handle with care.

Foraging facebook accounts.

4. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

GODDAMMIT you beat me to it :(

Pickman's model and cupid_stunt like this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Should find plenty growing wild along the lanes of rural Portugal at this time of year.

The39thStep likes this.
  6. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Hacker's bitten off more than they can chew here then :D

7. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

We now have two Stanley Edwards. Yay!!!!

8. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Someone really wanted to get into my facebook account the other week, and facebook were being arses about it, considering I have 2FA also set up on my phone they stll wouldnt let me log in. The attempts were coming from Vietnam, so you'd think the IP address I use at home which hardly ever changes would suffice to say it was me, but no, I had to send them a selfie!!!

9. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Holding a picture of today's newspaper? :)

10. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Nope, so I could quite easily have just saved an old profile picture and sent them that, thou I'd like to think their automated bots would realise that.

11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

:)