FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round Replay, Chippenham Town v Dulwich Hamlet, Tuesday 26 November 2019

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I can't make this one but if I could the cheapest train fare I could get is around £37 off peak day return. That involves splitting the tickets at Didcot to use my Network Railcard, and even then I would need to leave Paddington before 5pm. Other railcard holders (Senior etc) may be able to get that down to under £30. Basically anyone intending to go by train should take care not to pay more than they need to and look at split ticketing options. I don't think there are any savings to be made at this stage with advance bookings.

There's a train back at 2217, which should be convenient enough if the game is decided within 90 minutes, otherwise there's another (the last one) at 2301.

StephenMac likes this.
  2. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Had ruled it out about two minutes after the final whistle with a glance at National Rail Enquiries.

Renationalise the railways.

Lucy Fur, editor and Pink Panther like this.
  3. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Love a midweek away replay!
    Av it!

4. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

For those not able to make the game unfortunately there won’t be any live radio commentary for this game from us, I can’t make the game due to work commitments this year. Jam will still be filming however.

StephenMac likes this.
  5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Gah!

6. Don Reid

Don Reid Member

Dam it I'm going to have to go now!!!

StephenMac and baleboy_93 like this.
  7. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Pink Panther : Can I buy the two different tickets at the ticket office at Paddington tomorrow, or will I have to get off the train to buy the second one at Didcot Parkway?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

You can buy them online and pick them up at Paddington.

9. Pink Panther

You certainly don't need to break the journey by getting off the train, you only need to be on a train scheduled to call at Didcot. I normally buy all my tickets online (any train operating company should sell them for the same price, it doesn't have to be GWR) for which you get emailed a code, which you then use to collect them from a ticket machine at a station of your choice. (Make sure you choose which station you want to collect from when buying otherwise it defaults to Paddington, which may be very busy if you don't have much time to spare.) You insert the bank card you used to buy the tickets and enter the code to print them out.

I believe you should be able to buy all the tickets you need from the office at Paddington station, but I don't do it that way so I can't be 100% certain. (In fact you can probably get them from a local station in south London.) When I looked at the possibility of going the most convenient train was 1651 off Paddington, which requires a change of trains at Swindon. It looks like tickets bought with a Network Card discount are not valid on trains leaving London after 1700hrs during the evening peak. If you have a Gold Travelcard you may have fewer restrictions.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  10. Pink Panther

Winners drawn away to Oxford City or Hornchurch.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  11. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

I think you can collect tickets at any station with the code, even if it is not the one you specified at time of booking

12. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Certainly winnable for either side...

13. Bugpowder Dust

Against my better judgement just checked train prices. £119 return for a journey of just over an hour!

I thought it was bad at £55 for a weekend return, but that is a whole new level of terrible value for money.

14. Trimmy

Trimmy Lives for Charking Picken

upload_2019-11-25_15-20-50.png

£9 round trip, but you will need to find some form of drinking emporium to keep you amused until the coach boards - which guarantees it won't go to extra time and pens...

B.I.G likes this.
  15. Pink Panther

Even with no railcard discount it's £47.20 with off peak day returns if you split the tickets at Didcot, like I said in the first post. Still expensive I know, but not even close to half of £119. A Network Railcard or Gold Travelcard takes a tenner off the Paddington to Didcot leg.

If that's affordable just run two separate searches on National Rail Enquiries, one for each leg, and have a look at the train times. It looks like off peak tickets are only valid for trains leaving London before 5pm and you may need to change at Didcot or Swindon, but you're not restricted to a specific service and you can get any direct train home as long as it calls at Didcot, which I think they all do at that time.

Attached Files:

pettyboy likes this.
  16. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

If anybody is travelling can they let me know as we may have some free entry passes available.

Also car leaving Champion Hill at 3pm with three spaces. Fee of £25 towards hire fee. Message or reply if interested

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Nivag and B.I.G like this.
  17. Don Reid

Don Reid Member

I'll have a space !!

Nivag and B.I.G like this.
  18. Bugpowder Dust

I get that there are various schemes that can reduce the price of train travel, but if you are working and don't finish until 5 or later, with no railcards, and just want a simple day return then the standard fare is shocking.

Fair play to all Hamlet fans making the trip tomorrow, I'll be following on twitter. Could yet another 2-2 draw be on the cards?

19. Pink Panther

Yes, it is shocking. I think cheapest possible fares on that line are advance tickets for about £14 each way, but they have to be booked weeks in advance. Walk-up fares are disgraceful. What annoys me most of all though is how difficult it is to work out the cheapest way of getting there and back.

Some people will commute from Chippenham to London on a daily basis. I dread to think how much an annual season ticket costs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  20. Pink Panther

"Work commitments"? Too busy writing poncy crime books more like

20191126_121134.jpg

baleboy_93 likes this.
  21. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

This author uses a pseudonym and chose Tom Bale as it’s “unique and easy to remember” :p:p actually got given one of his books as a birthday present a few years back, still not read it as it annoyed me he “took” my name!!!

Nivag, Lucy Fur and Pink Panther like this.
  22. Pink Panther

Ijaha and Clunis replace Chapman and White from Saturday's starting XI:

Screenshot_20191126-192952_Football Web Pages.jpg

all to nah likes this.
  23. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

0-1 to the Dulwich!

Raymondo likes this.
  24. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

1-1, there’s a surprise.