FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round, 19.10.19 - Havant & Waterlooville vs Dulwich Hamlet

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Oct 7, 2019.

1. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

2-0 up after 20 mins! Christian Smith (11') and Aaron Barnes (18')

2. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

2-0 at 22mins.
    Happy Birthday B.I.G !

StephenMac and B.I.G like this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm cheering from the rehearsal rooms! Come on Hamlet!

4. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

5. editor

editor hiraethified

Hang in there Hamlet!

6. editor

editor hiraethified

How are we looking?

7. editor

editor hiraethified

Make the injury time end!

8. Paninaro71

Paninaro71 New Member

9. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

were through!

10. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Fuck me, well done. :thumbs:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  11. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

Gillingham away would do for me. :thumbs:

EDC and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  12. Paninaro71

Paninaro71 New Member

Is this the first time in a while Dulwich have reached this stage or am I getting confused (happens often)?

13. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

This is only the 3rd time since the end of WW2.

bkbk, planetgeli and Paninaro71 like this.
  14. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

What a celebration. Thanks everyone!

editor, Pink Panther and Lucy Fur like this.
  15. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

That was proper good. What a finish from Barnes.

Emirates FA Cup first round draw live on BBC Two

The Emirates FA Cup first round draw will be broadcast live on BBC Two from 7.10pm on Monday 21 October.

Carshalton and Kingstonian join us in the hat.

16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Maybe all to nah will stop fannying around in middle of nowhere!

all to nah likes this.
  17. cg__

cg__ Active Member

That was a great day out but very stressful

bkbk and crocustim like this.
  18. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Very stressful in the 2nd half, was great to see the players buzzing with the result at the end.

Pink Panther likes this.
  19. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

That was an awful lot of splendid.

bkbk and Lucy Fur like this.
  20. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Thought I saw a passing reference to the attendance being updated from 826 to just over 1,000 (they estimated 200 Hamlet fans ?)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  21. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Sounds about right

22. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Pink Panther likes this.
  23. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

Great result capped by a cracking (eventual) winner from Barnes. Despite the deficiencies of the officials - and the endless refereeing from the H&W players - it was nice to see the team run down the clock professionally to see it through. A word for the volunteers at H&W - the ones I encountered were pretty friendly and gracious.
    More decent money in the coffers & a good day out.

Pink Panther likes this.
  24. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I think the phrase "hard fought away win" applies accurately to this one. Hamlet came under intense pressure at times from an experienced home side, although I don't recall us allowing them too many clear chances. The home defence looked surprisingly vulnerable under any sort of pressure and I reckon we probably had the better chances overall. It took just over ten minutes to break the deadlock when a long throw from Connors, well beyond the near post, was flicked on and Smith netted at the second attempt from close range at the far post. We had a clear chance to double the lead less than five minutes afterwards when Yusuff got clear to the right of goal, but with the option of passing inside to Mills he sliced his shot wide of the near post. Only a couple of minutes later we did double the lead as a crossfield pass found Barnes in plenty of space on the right, and with the defenders backing off he strode forward and cracked a magnificent drive inside the far post from at least 20 yards out. There was instantly some fatalistic talk of the "this has got 2-2 written all over it" type, and by the half hour Havant had pulled a goal back from a corner than wasn't cleared despite at least two opportunities to get the ball away properly, but our lead remained intact until half time.

Unsurprisingly Havant pressed us hard from the beginning of the second half and during the middle phase there were periods when we barely seemed able to keep the ball much beyond the edge of our own box, but there were still opportunities to seal the win on the break with Connors coming close from a fierce shot that narrowly missed the target. Five minutes of stoppage time were indicated at the 90 minute mark most of which seemed to be used up by Hamlet forcing a sequence of throws and a couple of corners deep inside the Havant half, yet the referee somehow managed to find almost a further five minutes during those five minutes. The very last play of the game saw Havant create a clear scoring chance with a cross into the heart of our area but Grainger thankfully smothered a downward header and the final whistle blew as he got to his feet.

The pitch looked lovely at the start but was clearly very heavy and cut up quite badly, making it difficult to run with the ball and players often lost their footing when otherwise they wouldn't have done. Havant are clearly a strong side for our division but my impression is that they've overloaded with National Division veterans who, whilst probably still capable of doing a job at that level, are possibly not quite hungry enough for the task of dropping a division and helping an ambitious club to get there. I think Margate made that mistake in the Isthmian league a few seasons ago. These type of clubs with a big shot manager and loads of players who like to think they're more "professional" than the rest of us seem to have a inflated sense of entitlement. You see that when you look at the way they try to lean on the referee and start a debate over each decision when things aren't going their way, or react petulantly to the mildest comments from opposition supporters as their number 4 did during the first half immediately after he himself had sworn loudly at the linesman for not raising an offside flag.

Team (3-4-1-2): Grainger - McCoy, Taylor, Smith - Barnes, Chapman, Vose, Connors - Hunte - Yusuff, Mills(c). Subs: Clunis (for Yusuff), Monlouis (for Hunte), Ijaha, Monakana, White, Splatt, Edwards (not used).
    Attendance: 826

StephenMac, Cat Daisy and editor like this.
  25. StephenMac

Simon Walton was their 4. An absolute weapon of a bloke.

Interestingly, some of their gate staff openly querying the attendance on Twitter.

editor likes this.
  26. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Name didn't register so I googled him .32 years old, began with Leeds United as a youngster, played 30+ League matches for them, itinerant lower division League player since then followed by spells at various National Division clubs, plus a brief spell at Billericay last year. No surprises there! I know first impressions can be misleading, but he came across as an intellectual midget who plays the game with a scowl on his face and a chip on his shoulder.

27. StephenMac

Yeah, a Harry Wheeler favourite - took him along for his disastrous few months at Maidstone.

Pink Panther likes this.
  28. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I'm minded to think that spearing opposition playes with training poles is a step too far but if it is Simon Walton i'm ok with it.

EDC likes this.
  29. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

They were taking cash in hand at the turnstile if you had the right change.

30. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Cracking day which more than made up for a few disappointing games earlier in the season.

Ade Yusuff is almost unrecognisable from pre-season, confident and powerful in a more central role. Vose and Chapman had decent games and I like Christian Smith a lot more in central defence than midfield. Barnes looks good in a more attacking position too.

Several H&W looked chunky; we were hungry for the win while they were hungry for the after match buffet.

Roll on tomorrow, a winnable tie at home would do for me...