FA Cup 2017-18 - news and discussion

Discussion in 'football' started by stavros, Jan 4, 2018.

1. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Unless I'm very much mistaken, each round of the Cup is independent of the others. That is, if Spurs win their replay and their quarter, they could draw any of the other three remaining teams in the semis.

Wilf and Badgers like this.
  2. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Nah, it's fixed. Michael Owen and Owen Hargreaves - in fact anybody called Owen who has played for Man United - is very skilled at detecting micro-grooves on the balls. It looks like a moment of reflective indecision as they swirl the balls - BUT IT ISN'T! :mad:

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Proof indeed about how the once hallowed FA Cup has sunk low: Swansea could barely muster 8,000 for tonight's Fifth Round Replay.

Sure it was cold, but that's still a pathetic crowd for what should be an important match.

4. passenger

passenger up and down...

Mad match at white hart wembley, VAR on steroids and so are Rochdale brilliant first half

stavros likes this.
  5. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I dont understand the complaint that players and spectators are getting infuriated cos they dont know whats happening. If decision is referred to VAR everyone knows that a decision is pending, what is so hard to understand, cricket fans, and rugby fans can wait why cant football fans. Surely the important thing is that the right decision is made. Booing Tottenham fans soon cheered when VAR awarded them a penalty, only for Son to cheat and rightly have the penalty disallowed. i fail to see the problem.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

it was used several times (6 IIRC), the waits were long, the flow of the game suffered badly, and on at least one occassion (the disallowed opening goal) the VAR decision made zero sense and Im still nonethewiser why the goal was disallowed. At least in American Football the ref has to say what the ruling is to give us some idea.
    One write up of the match makes this point:
    " Replays suggested Llorente’s tussle with Harrison McGahey might have resulted in the Spaniard fouling the defender, or the other way around, or both. Certainly it did not instantly appear (referee) Tierney had made a “clear and obvious” error, the criteria VAR is supposed to adhere to."

sealion, Badgers and editor like this.
  7. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

No. The important thing is that everyone watching, in the stadium or on TV, gets the emotional thrills that have made football such a popular spectator sport for a century or so.

There are subsidiary important things as well, like the game being the same for everyone, whether televised or not, all the way from kids with a parent for a ref through to the cup or CL.

What is not important is that gamblers and betting companies get everything reviewed because human decision making in real time may cost them, nor that the telly companies get an opportunity for in-play ads.

ska invita likes this.
  8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

What was bizarre yesterday is that it kept getting used when most people saw no doubt. Its there to clear up those rare uncertainties, not every Big Moment.

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

10. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

that's simply impossible. It cannot be done. Was the shirt tug prior to the shirt tug which got the goal disallowed a foul or an application of the advantage rule? Had the foul outside the area been correctly and instantly flagged there wouldn't have been a penalty to argue about whether the feint was during the run-up or at its end.

That is to say, there are always precursor decisions and interpretations. How far back should VAR go to remove uncertainty? Even if every camera feed was individually monitored in real time by a fully qualified ref who could halt the game if they saw the slightest infringement there would still be uncertainties, because different camera angles show the same incident in different lights, as we all know from MOTD.

Uncertainty is at the heart of involving real live humans in physical sport. If what's wanted is an end to uncertainty there's a whole e-sports world with real time algorithms designed to provide it.

11. 1927

So if your side was in a play-off final and a perfectly good goal was disallowed you’d rather lose the game than get the correct decision?

Badgers likes this.
  12. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

yes, I'd prefer the hand of god to VAR.

an inevitable part of the passion and emotional intensity of footie, particularly of high stakes games, is that 'we wuz robbed' outrage over some crucial decision. Followed shortly afterwards by a smug smirk when the other lot are going red in the face about something obviously trivial that they claim would have changed the result if it had gone their way.

anyway abusing the ref is a fine tradition that shouldn't be neutered by the dead hand of soulless technology. Where's the fun in waiting 3 minutes to find out whether to cheer or insult someone faceless in a shed on an industrial estate somewhere?

sealion and Hollis like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But then what would football fans moan about?

That Cup game was a farce. If they're going to use this stuff they HAVE to let the fans know what's going on.

sealion likes this.
  14. stavros

Leaving aside the VAR controversies, why did no one think to either close the roof, or at least give them an orange ball? I gave up watching on the hour or so because I couldn't see the ball.

passenger likes this.
  15. 1927

Wembley doesnt have a closable roof!

16. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

It will kill the game as a spectacle if there are lengthy or regular stoppages. The ref has ruined many a game for me when they are whistle happy as it doesn't allow for a game to get any momentum.

17. stavros

Where did I get the idea that it did?

18. Wilf

Cardiff FA Cup finals?

stavros likes this.
  19. stavros

Ah, it does have a retractable roof, but not over the pitch. Instead, it covers the end stands:

I seem to remember reading when it opened that it was the world's largest football stadium where all spectators were under a roof. That record may have been superseded since.

20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Looking like no upsets :(

Guess it will make a good final for the neutrals :hmm:

21. stavros

Spurs were really poor after the first twenty minutes. Did Kane even touch the ball in the second half?

I missed today's game. Was it worth watching?

Badgers likes this.
  22. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Damn, I hate both teams equally.

Maggot and Badgers like this.
  23. 1927

What is the point of that roof?

Badgers likes this.
  24. Wilf

To be honest, his nil touches were far more effective than Lukaku's three.

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Saturday 5.15pm then...

Who are the neutrals rooting for? I am watching the game with a Utd fan :hmm: which is a bit troubling.

Usually would be supporting anyone but Utd (and Mourino) but this season Chelski really don't deserve anything.

26. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Aging Russian space equipment to plummet to earth in a maelstrom of fire and chaos.

Maggot, Badgers, imposs1904 and 2 others like this.
  27. stavros

Something better than the 2007 final between these two. I remember that being shite beyond belief.

Badgers and The39thStep like this.
  28. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Have you ever thought of writing to the FA for a rule change so we just have teams in the final that deserve to be there rather than simply winning their games to get there?

stavros and Badgers like this.
  29. stavros

Do we know who the pundits are yet? Shearer will probably be the neutral, although Jenas or Murphy would be better. Lampard and Neville, P. for either side?

Badgers likes this.
  30. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

TV has got to be avoided until kick off with this daft wedding and even dafter build up of overpaid tosspots.

I just hope our overpaid tosspots run rings round the Chelsea Rejects XI overpaid tosspots.