FA Cup 2017-18 - news and discussion

Discussion in 'football' started by stavros, Jan 4, 2018.

1. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

No thread on this that I can see, so let this be the place for discussion. It kicks off tomorrow night with a Merseyside derby on the BBC, with two more on the Beeb at the weekend and three on BT.

BBC Wales are showing Newport-Leeds on Sunday, which I'd like to watch. Can we in England get BBC Wales online?

Bizarrely, despite the almost unprecedented shock on the Manchester United-Derby County game not being shown live, it's still being staged on a Friday night. Anyone got any idea why?

Badgers likes this.
  2. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

With a Sky subscription.

US TV. Access rights to the FA Cup.

3. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Man city playing at home as well.

4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Go to iplayer and switch your location to wales! I do it all the time if i want to watch english programmes rather than welsh BBC.

stavros and passenger like this.
  5. stavros

Excellent. I've just moved house to the Millennium Stadium.

Liverpool-Everton was shite, in the first half at least. I was glad to hear the pundits all agree that it wasn't a penalty, but I did get a bit bored by the hard-ons they were all having for Van Dijk. I thought Andrew Robertson was the best player on the park, giving an almost complete full-back's performance.

Good on Fleetwood too, although Leicester were dire.

6. 1927

Have you managed to change location and are you seeing Welsh tv? if you are can i apologise on behalf of our nation for the shit quality of local programming!

7. stavros

I just changed the postcode on my personal settings, which I presume will allow me to watch the Newport-Leeds game tomorrow. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Badgers and 1927 like this.
  8. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

Coventry's Jack Grimmer scores a humdinger, to see 1987 winners Coventry through at the expense of "Premiership" Stoke.

A single gunshot shortly after the final whistle marked the despatch of "Sparky" Hughes from the Stoke hotseat...was only a matter of time given his recent stressed demeanour, and open revolt amongst the fanbase. He just seemed to have run out of ideas totally. Hughes is a decent manager most of the time and I'm sure he will re-emerge somewhere.

I'm quite pleased for Coventry, a club that's had an awful lot to deal with in the last decade.

Elsewhere: Peterborough demolish Aston Villa; decent win for Notts County at Brentford, too.

It's a sad echo of how it used to be, though, the third round. The bigger clubs clearly don't give a shit anymore.

Badgers and editor like this.
  9. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Must sat that we, Chelsea, were shite.

Badgers likes this.
  10. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Forest Arsenal easily the best game of the round unless you're a gooner of course.

Can't see Brighton Palace emulating that with Big Brother watching every move.

Badgers and craigxcraig like this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Good draw for yeovil in next round :thumbs:
    It's shit knowing the next round before you have even kicked a ball in the last round.

Badgers likes this.
  12. 1927

Hope it worked for you. Bloody great cup tie!

Badgers likes this.
  13. sealion

Fourth-round draw in full:

Liverpool v West Brom

Peterborough v Fleetwood/Leicester

Huddersfield v Birmingham

Notts County v Wolves/Swansea

Yeovil v Manchester United

Carlisle/Sheffield Wednesday v Stevenage/Reading

Cardiff/Mansfield v Manchester City

MK Dons v Coventry

Millwall v Rochdale

Southampton v Watford

Middlesbrough v Brighton/Crystal Palace

Bournemouth/Wigan v Shrewsbury/West Ham

Hull v Nottingham Forest

Newport County v Tottenham

Norwich/Chelsea v Newcastle

Sheffield United v Preston

14. sealion

It was and a good draw at home in round 4!

15. 1927

Great draw for Mansfield too!

16. sealion

They are on a decent run at the moment but you should be beating them at home.

17. 1927

We’ve got no chance away!

18. stavros

Yep, all fine and dandy. It was good fun listening to the "Let's concentrate on the league" bollocks from my Leeds-supporting colleague on Monday morning.

1927 likes this.
  19. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

Newport-Leeds was pure quality; strong echoes of Leeds' demise at Ninian Park at the same stage about fifteen years ago. That game and the Tottenham game should help the club out of their seemingly perennial financial problems.

Usually I've not much time for Cardiff City but any result that leaves that fat crook Steve Evans choking with rage has to be a good one. Hopefully Coventry can carry on in the next round against the Franchise whose customers are grumbling after an underwhelming league season.

I will also be very interested to see if Swansea can negotiate a difficult tie at Meadow Lane; the lazy romatic will snooze through a routine win for Man U down in Yeovil; Sheff U-Preston and Hull-Forest are intriguing all Championsip ties. If West Ham play as they did against Shrewsbury, they'll be vaporised by Wigan, who played really well the other night in despatching Bournemouth.

After a few years of largely pish drawns and forgettable finals this season's competition has been not bad.

sealion likes this.
  20. stavros

Although the thread title is specific to the third round, I can't be arsed to start a new one, so let's talk about the fourth round here. Yeovil Town-Manchester United on BBC1 this evening.

Huish Park was the first ground I ever went to, in 1991 for England U17s vs Wales U17s. The Welsh team had a young Manchester United boy on the left wing.

Badgers likes this.
  21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Is much of this on normal telly?

22. sealion

Yeovil on the bbc tonight, Cardiff v Man citeh on bbc Sunday.

Badgers likes this.
  23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

None of the Saturday games? :(

24. sealion

No. Sold to the highest bidder i expect.

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Cunts

sealion likes this.
  26. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

Badgers likes this.
  27. stavros

Both Yeovil and and Peterborough were good value for the first half hour or so, but neither were going to keep it up for 90 minutes. Hopefully Newport can buck the trend this evening.

The pundits were all going giddy over Sanchez, somewhat inevitably, but I am certainly going to miss Michael Carrick playing when he hangs up his boots at the end of the season. He's a joy to watch, the closest thing I can remember to an English Pirlo and should have broken the Lampard-Gerrard duopoly in the England midfield.

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Spurs cut it a bit fine and West Ham gone

29. stavros

Spurs were total shite. They had a lad at left back in the first half who seemed unable to kick with his left foot.

Yes, Manchester City were very impressive. However, I am getting a bit bored of the punditry drool that greets everything that Guardiola does. He's been exceptionally good at managing teams with far greater resources than almost all of their domestic rivals so far.

Does anyone else think that the free kick de Bruyne scored from should've gone to Cardiff, if a free kick was given at all? Gundogan seemed to kick Ralls rather than the latter causing the contact.

30. 1927

From what I remember there was a huge shout for hand ball against Man City immediately before they were awarded the free kick, so you may well be right.