Extinction Rebellion

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Jeremiah18.17, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

They got on protestor off the wooden structure. IMG_20191010_155406.jpg IMG_20191010_155954.jpg IMG_20191010_155522.jpg

Lupa, Fozzie Bear and spitfire like this.
  2. 8ball

8ball Actually, some of my best friends are NT

Bahnhof Strasse and Gramsci like this.
  3. Gramsci

Another wooden structure with XR chained to it. Heard police are going to try to clear roads around Trafalgar Square tonight. Push XR off the roads onto the square itself. IMG_20191010_153739.jpg

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  4. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

well I accept some of that, but I've lived in this house for about 35 years and the area for a decade longer, so not that mobile :) One of the things I appreciate about U75 is gaining some understanding of other people views, from elsewhere in the country/world and from different demographics. You're apparently reluctant to expand on how community works where you are, and from your (mobile?, connected) experience. Which is obviously up to you, but doesn't really bolster your initial point about rooting change in geographic communities.
    that's changing the subject though, and is pretty wellworn territory on here.

5. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

It doesn't really work, that's the whole point. The political project is largely about re-establishing it along anti-State anti-capitalist lines. And it's hard, but if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be called struggle.

And where else could you root it, on a blog? Change is in large part going to be about providing political structures and material needs to people, where can this be done in anything but a physical space (workplaces or neighborhoods)? It doesn't mean we don't need social media and other forms of communication, but I don't see how they end up being able to physically enact the process of communalizing of resources and resisting their re-enclosure needed to provide what people need to survive. Are you really talking about organizing political activism rather than a wider social process?

Anyway, bit of a derail, back to pics of hippies. :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. Gramsci

Good atmosphere in Trafalgar Square. St James park has been cleared so everyone has moved here. There are arts and performance later on IMG_20191010_165823.jpg

7. Gramsci

A few people IMG_20191010_165209.jpg IMG_20191010_165155.jpg IMG_20191010_161412.jpg IMG_20191010_160614.jpg IMG_20191010_154017.jpg

8. Gramsci

IMG_20191010_163059.jpg Art IMG_20191010_165029.jpg IMG_20191010_164912.jpg IMG_20191010_164609.jpg IMG_20191010_164444.jpg

Lupa, newbie and bluescreen like this.
  9. Gramsci

Police still trying to get protestor off the wooden structure IMG_20191010_171121.jpg

Lupa, newbie, Idaho and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gramsci

XR who was chained to the wooden structure taken away IMG_20191010_172848.jpg

11. redcogs

redcogs in the gutter beholding the stars

in a right world you would be receiving a healthy stipend as gratitude for you first rate photographic record Gramsci. i sense these days are important.

12. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

Walked from Victoria station to Trafalgar Square via Parliament and Millbank this evening. Huge amounts of police and barriers everywhere, especially around Parliament, with small amounts of XR people wandering all through the area.

At Trafalgar Square there seemed to be a few thousand people, loads of tents and banners etc etc and a bit of a festival vibe with dancing and music. Quite an odd spectacle, as has been mentioned felt very devoid of anger and antagonism, more semi-religious. Feels like something Paul Mason might say but it did have the sense of a very 21st Century new type of protest thing.

XR definitely have something about them that widely appeals and has caught a particular moment.

muscovyduck, newbie, Gramsci and 2 others like this.
  13. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

It seems a co-ordinated or collective response to that cop monitoring account - lots of posts similar in tone & content - i'd guess from cop/cop adjacent social media.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Has Roy Harper turned up yet?

15. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I went on the XR Critical Mass this evening which was good fun.

Plan (from memory as posted on facebook) was Mall - Hyde Park Corner - Vaux Bridge - Millbank - Downing St.

The cops blocked off Lambeth Bridge and Millbank so we ended up going through the back streets of Victoria again and back to HPC at which point I bailed. Seems weird to tell them the route? Maybe they normally do it but the cops haven't got 3 vans full of public order police to stop the ride? Dunno, haven't been on a CM for years so not sure what usually happens.

Most motorists were pretty cool, few aggro arseholes but much more smiles and waves. Seemed to be a couple of thousand by the end but hard to tell.

Some more pics.

upload_2019-10-10_20-50-47.png

upload_2019-10-10_20-50-54.png

upload_2019-10-10_20-51-16.png

upload_2019-10-10_20-51-23.png

upload_2019-10-10_20-51-3.png

upload_2019-10-10_20-51-48.png

upload_2019-10-10_20-51-56.png

upload_2019-10-10_21-1-0.png

This was right at the start, many, many more people turned up but the iphone camera is shit in the dark so pointless trying to capture it.

16. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

i was hoping you would have photographs of this. I saw them in The Strand and thought they were awesome.

Gramsci likes this.
  17. spitfire

spitfire Toast

A bit of video. I did do an arty one cycling up an empty mall back to T Sq but obviously didn't press record...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

18. nyxx

nyxx Well-Known Member

spitfire ,

There was a legal battle somewhere down the line, critical mass won, they’re not obliged to inform the police of a planned route in advance of the mass.
    (Thank fuck)

19. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

cos there is no planned route as there is no planner, spontaneous gathering, guv.

20. spitfire

spitfire Toast

See that's what I thought but on the event page there was a proposed route and that certainly seemed to be what they were aiming for but couldn't get through the thin blue line. I did see some of the people at the front conferring and they all seemed to be if not "in charge" definitely used to directing a large group of people on bikes.

muscovyduck and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  21. Marty1

Marty1 Well-Known Member

How long is this XR event going on for?

22. nyxx

nyxx Well-Known Member

The legal battle I mentioned was over the monthly critical mass rides.
    Doesn’t sound like this ride was organised by the same methods.

spitfire likes this.
  23. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I had another look at the event and it isn't as cut and dried as I remember but there is a vague plan on there.

To my mind you wouldn't share anything but a start point like you say the regular ones do. The police had 2 solid lines across Lambeth Bridge and Millbank and basically herded us back to Victoria. Even had the helicopter watching along whilst by the river.

Gramsci likes this.
  24. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Pain & compliance...

then some of the silly fuckers do this:

upload_2019-10-10_22-35-23.png

25. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

Jeez I just don't know what compels people to do that. It's so offensive in so many ways

Gramsci likes this.
  26. Bahnhof Strasse

A pisstake, surely?

27. Bahnhof Strasse

Two weeks. But it is raining this morning and set to rain for the next three days. Which might dampen spirits a little?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Marty1 and Pickman's model like this.
  28. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

29. Bahnhof Strasse

30. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Up here for the day. Part of the problem with that is that pace of this is more like Test cricket than the 20/20 matches I'm used to.