Extinction Rebellion

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Jeremiah18.17, Oct 27, 2018.

1. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I don't know, probably more a convenience that's being taken advantage of than something that was engineered from the start. Anyway just idle thinking rather than firm accusation.

2. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

3. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Good interview. Apparently they are expecting to be physically attacked once government realise they're serious and not going away.

4. Rivendelboy

Rivendelboy Banned Banned

5. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

This is what tory MP David TC Davies has been busy doing this week. Writing a letter to pop group the 1975 and then tweeting it to express how pissed off he is with their support of Extinction Rebellion.

muscovyduck likes this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

The responses are entertaining, mind.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  8. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

XR's pink boat spotted on the move in Tottenham earlier 20190906_183212.jpg

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Nice big Mitsubishi L200 diesel motor pulling it along...

Magnus McGinty and mwgdrwg like this.
  10. kenny g

kenny g Sheeple Wake up!

TopCat likes this.
  11. Rivendelboy

This from a couple of days ago. They don't seem to have learned how cops work. Hallam offers no actual evidence this works, he just assumes, because he's got a degree in it, that it will work.

12. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Unknown member

He's gone full on delusional.

BigTom likes this.
  13. copliker

copliker ...

hallam loon.jpg
    hallam loon2.jpg

Don't get battered/arrested for this loon.

Grace Johnson, NoXion, ddraig and 3 others like this.
  14. Red Sky

Technically now disaffiliated from Extinction Rebellion- haha.

15. Rivendelboy

His position is theoretical, it is not based on any experience. He's studied this as part of a degree or summat (i don't recall) and thinks that the idea will work in reality. I can't fault him for that, but this tactic is clearly ill advised at best. I mean,,,spycops?

BigTom and muscovyduck like this.
  16. Rivendelboy

Really?

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

i watched the first three minutes of it and gave up and i was reminded of frankie howerd and the prologue in up pompeii, although there was more sense in up pompeii

friedaweed likes this.
  18. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Unknown member

There's a few small bits that are OK, or that might be worth further thinking about and discussion, but it's mostly just a fairly incoherent ramble of his particular predictable position that he also seems to think is somewhat new and radical, rather than it just being what every liberal and hippie has droned on about for decades.

19. Red Sky

Well yes, following a big stink kicked up by nearly everyone around the Heathrow drone action it was decided to carry it out as an "unaffiliated" action. Roger Hallam is the main proponent of that action. Doesn't seem to have stopped him acting as spokesman for XR or drawing a stipend.

20. redcogs

redcogs in the gutter beholding the stars

Am i detecting a little cynicism?

OK the guys a hippie, but the essential point that there is a juggernaught of shit coming quickly towards us all seems irrefutable? i'm frightened for my kids, and i share that fear with many others - so im prepared to overlook any failings that the messenger may have and listen carefully to the vital message. We know that direct action has succeeded many times in history from female suffrage to civil rights etc, surely we can hope that humanity can get its act together and try to intervene to prevent famine driven social collapse?

21. Red Sky

That does seem to be the modern way, why write three paragraphs when a rambling two hour monologue on YouTube will do?

22. Rivendelboy

But that doesn't mean they have disavowed him as you seem to imply. Do you have any sources?

23. Rivendelboy

I agree, we all do I hope. But that isn't going to be solved by pandering to the cops though surely

24. Red Sky

They haven't disavowed him . That's my point. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

25. Red Sky

In some senses what he's saying is true. If you approach the police before an action and say that it's going to be peaceful and symbolic and you're of the right demographic then they probably won't turn up with batons drawn.

26. redcogs

Not read the thread so unaware of main argument re the coppers. On the assumption that it relates to the state's inevitable resort to violence if ER activities begin to threaten the interests of the wealthy id suggest that a non violent response in the Ghandian tradition is unlikely to be effective - as ever, the key will be to mobilise numbers - sounds easy dont it? But the coppers will be cautious if they are massively outnumbered. If some uniformed thug starts laying into you in the interests of capital, then they must realistically expect physical resistance. i'm not for turning the other cheek.

27. Red Sky

28. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

It seems like the sort of thing that will work for a while.
    Until it doesn't, then it's not going to be fun.

But then in the video above that, he seems fully aware of this.

29. smokedout

smokedout criminal

Well it appears to have just stopped working.

BigTom and Pickman's model like this.
  30. redcogs

i fear for Roger Hallam. The corrupt and powerful forces that Extinction Rebellion are taking on will not hesitate to crush prominent eco radicals if necessary - yet its not clear that ER recognise this. Hallam's admirable integrity coupled to the astronomic success of ER thus far make him a clear target for the gangster element of the establishment, who will regard him as having about the same significance as a cockroach in the kitchen.

His naive style shouldn't blind anyone to the fact that he is one courageous comrade - and i'm inclined to raise a fist in solidarity with both him and his pal Mike Lynch Whyte.

8ball likes this.