Extinction Rebellion

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Jeremiah18.17, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

you'd know if you saw it

2. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Libertad and Pickman's model like this.
  3. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

They have been in Birmingham today protesting outside the McDonald’s on the Bristol Road between 7 and 10AM (this is a big junction for people wanting to get into / out of town). Every seven minutes they blocked the road, then unblocked it then blocked it again.

4. kenny g

kenny g Wake up!

The thing about that grief circle is that if I were a tree in a forest I would be pretty annoyed with a group of people coming into my area and screaming and snivvelling for hours. If they made some decent music or read poetry or acted out some bits of shakespeare I would be mildly entertained but that noise would start to grate. Have they no empathy for us trees?

5. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

This is the the take from my local labour party. Sorry it's the wrong way round.

I have voted Labour down here, where thre is no point at all. But this prick is so opposed to any sort of civil disobedience, and is a local Labour name, I may as well vote fucking Liberal.

Attached Files:

6. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

7. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

8. CNT36

CNT36 Not carbon nano tubes

Extinction Rebellion protesters take over Cornwall beach and boats

Been getting their feet wet in St Ives and put flags up on 200 boats in Falmouth Harbour. They rowed. I like rowing at night but the bastards never asked me. Hallam did a packed talked in Penzance and another in Newquay a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be getting some real interest here. I went to a die in in Truro a couple of weeks ago to see what it was all about as the wife is getting into it. I doubt it achieved much but was a nice afternoon out with the kids.

9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

vanya and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  10. Rivendelboy

Rivendelboy Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking they should link up with broader working class movements, like DPAC or whoever. Of course climate change is serious and the effects will be/are devastating, but I just can't help being more concerned with things like welfare cuts. That's what affects me, personally speaking, most right now. Sorry

11. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

In what ways do you think that 'link up' would look like and work?

Is DPAC's focus and demographics broader, or more specific?

12. Rivendelboy

Just a broader working class movement that opposes the systems behind all of these oppressions. Maybe when DPAC (whom i mentioned just as an example) next protest, XR people could link up.

13. smokedout

smokedout criminal

I think there's a lot of potential for a movement that implicitly contains the message that working class people are not to blame for climate change, and that the poor especially do not have to change their behaviour on an individual level when it comes to consumption. Climate change is being done to us, for the enrichment of those who already oppress us, and whilst it's not our fault it is in our interests to try and prevent it. And within that context, as well as attacking the rich for destroying our plane,t there is a lot to fight for that would actually benefit working clas lives - better and much cheaper public transport, forcing landlords to improve energy effciency, more allotment space and green spaces for our kids to play in. There are lots of things that could be demanded that would benefit our lives and whilst they may not make a huge change to the amount of CO2 being pumped out they might help foster a genuine bottom up movement against climate change rather than what is often now perceived now as a bunch of middle class hypocrites making our grannies feel guilty for putting the heating on.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:47 AM
  14. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

This all depends on XR's aims.

To challenge capitalism or to call for it to make an emergency intervention.

15. LynnDoyleCooper

I largely agree, although I think that movement would look very different to XR just going on a few isolated smaller protests on 'other issues' that arguably have more specific focus and a narrower demographic attending.

I also have some sympathy with the idea that that is a long term project, and it's what people try and consistently fail to do anyway, and the current situation with climate change doesn't allow for that time frame.

16. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

There are some DPAC campaigners who are also XR campaigners

17. Rivendelboy

Of course, but those are individual examples, of which I hope there are many (and I'm sure there are). But XR is perceived only within the area of climate change and seems, according to Roger Hallam, to have one goal: get people arrested thus causing a the public to say "that's not cricket!" and shame the state into enacting whatever he defines as a climate emergency, in legislative/poliicy terms

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  18. Pickman's model

they seem to have two goals, the one to spread awareness of the severity of the climate issues facing us and the second to force a change in government policy. but they seem to have acquired a third, namely fundraising at which they have been significantly more successful that any other extra-parliamentary pressure group of which i'm aware. i don't know that they are a left-wing, or affect to be a left-wing, organisation, so i think it would be sheer folly to assume they are and proceed on that assumption.

BristolEcho and chilango like this.
  19. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Not left wing as stated policy, but the members I know are mostly lefties with a few floppy centrists. I don't think you'll find many right-wingers amongst them (though I'm sure you'll find one if you dig a bit).

20. Pickman's model

From what I'm told there's at least one former cop

21. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

XR* are now specifically calling for a 'movement of movements' and re orienting the October Rebellion towards attacking (inconveniencing) the elite.

*inasmuch as XR has a single voice.

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. LynnDoyleCooper

How have the discussions gone re: how the police might react to this next plan? Has the shut down Heathrow plan been shelved?

23. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

They'll be just like Greenpeace before you know it.

24. Red Sky

Heathrow has been shelved indefinitely - although some of the chieftains are still in favour and might do it as a "non XR" action.

There is such multiplicity of discussions, meetings , WhatsApp groups etc etc that it's virtually impossible to get a handle on anything, even a real sense of how big the movement is or how many people might turn up in October.

muscovyduck and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  25. LynnDoyleCooper

Yeah, I've been trying to get a bit of a handle on it by reading some of the web output (and chatting to some of the people involved up here) and it could easily be a full time project, the scale of the thing is impressive.

And thank fuck Heathrow has been shelved, totally the wrong direction I think.

26. salem

salem Well-Known Member

I can't shake the fear that XR is a convenient but largely harmless distracting force from the right wing coup, cunting about of democracy, large scale transfer of wealth and general brexit/alt-right related shite that's smearing the country lately.

The fact that they pretty much got a free pass to take over Waterloo Bridge/Oxford Circus earlier in the year seemed just a little too easy.

I hope I'm wrong and I don't doubt the good intentions of those involved but I can't see them as anything but a convenient smokescreen.

27. LynnDoyleCooper

I don't get what you're saying, that it's somehow started and/or engineered purposefully to distract from those things, or just that its appearance is timely for them?

salem likes this.
  28. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

And which do you reckon they’re opting for?

29. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

Rhetorical question btw.

30. Red Sky

Increasingly adopting an anti capitalist line, which is what you'd expect.