Exit impact on Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Cos we don't seem able to do it.

likesfish likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

because our government only does making messes and not clearing them up

likesfish and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  3. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

The north needs a special designated status within the EU.

Strong point, I'd have thought?

4. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Northern ireland was a bad idea when it was proposed Carson the fuckwit lived long enough to regret its creation.;)
    But we are where we are now the South can't afford the north its only kept afloat by british civil service jobs and subsidys .
    Offical uk goverment policy was too ignore the place which went well for fifty years till it literally exploded .

5. Old Spark

Old Spark Well-Known Member

Well dont know about the impact of exit but if Michelle O'Neill becomes deputy first minister noone will get a word in edgeways.

6. Old Spark

Old Spark Well-Known Member

May turns down invite from Edna Kenny to address the Dail when she meets him.

Irish unimpressed.

likesfish likes this.
  7. brogdale

Meanwhile in Europe...

8. likesfish

Probably because "oh fuck I didnt think and havn't got a clue what to do about Ireland or Northern Ireland isnt going to go down well :(The British tend to treat ireland as a semi detached part of the UK apart from the north which is the mad relative in the Attic who we dont talk about.:rolleyes:
    Doesnt help that London has a bigger population than ireland wales and scotland put together.

9. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

If UK & Ireland are both determined that the completely open border will remain then it's difficult to see how the EU could change that. It just sounds like BBC worst case scenario remoaner stuff to me.

10. likesfish

Yes because Northern ireland is still soaked in petrol and throwing matches is really going to help.

11. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

I saw a penguin parade at Edinburgh Zoo once, just add a few sashes and I reckon they'll get along fine.

likesfish likes this.
  12. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

The sash their feathers wore.

Poor penguins. How will they manage the big noisy drums?

Perhaps it could be a sort of exchange thing. The penguins might quite like to move to somewhere less icy, and the orange types can do whatever they want and harm no-one.

13. likesfish

Its perfect Argentina wants those islands so they have catholics to annoy although building a bonfire on an ireland with no trees and making it bigger enough to be seen from 1000 miles away might present a :Dchalenge

Bahnhof Strasse and Celyn like this.
  14. brogdale

On C4 News last night Gary Gibbon said that one of the first things that SF told Brokenshire they wanted (after telling him he was unfit to chair negotiations:D) was a referendum on a united Ireland. (2.00mins)

likesfish likes this.
  15. likesfish

not sure Ireland would be that keen on taking the North at the moment one thing if they are all happy clappy at the idea but with a small % of loyalists murderously unhappy at the prospect the idea would rapidly pale.
    its not like Ireland could actually afford to police the north if it kicks off.

16. Captain Christy

Captain Christy Active Member

Dont agree with that. All they need do is make every paramilitary a community worker like they did in Northern Ireland. Pay them a handy wage each week for drinking tea and playing pool in the local youth club and spending the rest of the day in Paddy Powers

Dom Traynor, likesfish and Artaxerxes like this.
  17. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

I'm pretty sure that the Irish establishment is not to keen to see a united Ireland, butrecent polls conducted at home have shown that a majority of people in the south want a united Ireland. This is just one such poll admittedly for The Journal Poll: Do you want to see a united Ireland? there have been others, which shows a consistently high support for a 32 county Republic.

As for the cost I think N_igma mentioned that a unified Ireland could see the economy benefit by up to $38bn http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Modeling-Irish-Unification-Report.pdf

As for loyalists, the majority while they may bash the Lambeg, shout FTP, talk in a fucking made up language and generally act like sectarian arseholes after too many lemonades on the 12th, without the backing of the British state will somehow find away to accommodate to Dublin. They'll do it quickly to have some influence. This will be especially true of the MC loyalists. As for WC loyalists, there may even be sense that 'lets see how things go, can't be any worse than what we had' (curious thing about the last election in the north was the amount of young prods openly saying they gave the Shinners a high preference rather than vote for the DUP.)

Anyway the Irish state will probably NOT de-Baath the statlets cops so will have some sense of continuity.

Most of those who would probably talk about making trouble will probably head to Larne, get the ferry, and settle in Bolton.

18. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. The famous, scary loyalists who never did fuck all without the organising and back up of the british or the RUC Special Branch... who even their own won't vote for... and whose hungerstrikes lasted til lunchtime.

Bunch of fat, ageing, drug-dealing parasites. I look forward to the day when working class loyalist communities are confident enough to turn on the cunts.

19. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

20. flypanam

Next thing she'll be decrying that 'The Irish never became white'. She's a goon an upmarket Katie Hopkins (She's more a Choirzo kind of girl). I kind of hope Bishop Street (Sunday Times in Ireland HQ, unless it's moved) is swamped today.

likesfish likes this.
  21. flypanam

22. Captain Christy

Captain Christy Active Member

Is she a pen pal of Arlene?

23. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Good little piece here picking apart Phillips article, and raising some interesting points:
    Authentic Nations

I particularly like this line (which makes more sense in the context of the article) "Got it? Scotland and Ireland don’t really exist, but Britain does, but it’s really England." <- which sums up UKIPs vision , and why I think much of the Brexit vote and campaign was based on that same understanding...Brexit as a form of 'English' Independence vote (not for everyone of course). Phillips is useful in demonstrating what people like this really understand by "UK", and how little fucks were given or considered about Scotland or NI in terms of Brexit.

Artaxerxes and likesfish like this.
  24. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Well-Known Member

With the announcement of Indyref2, Sinn Fein seem to be pushing for a border poll on unification with Ireland. And importantly, as of earlier this month, Unionists no longer have a majority in Stormont.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/video-brexit-sinn-feins-martina-anderson-tells-theresa-may-to-stick-border-where-the-sun-dont-shine-35530267.html

Irish border poll unlikely, but possible - BBC News

25. flypanam

Two things of small interest the first that The North if unified into a united Ireland will get straight into the EU, which I think could in time become a big carrot to the unionist rural population down the line. The second is that the weird/nutty/Nazi end of loyalism (sort of/sort of not) represented by Jim Dawson are now arguing that a federal Ireland could be a solution. Far-right millionaire: I'll use social media network to back Scottish independence

likesfish likes this.
  26. brogdale

David Davis united Ireland letter shows Northern Ireland has automatic route back to EU: SDLP chief Eastwood

27. likesfish

The open border is apprantly staying so we will see how much chaos ensures from that decision as far as I know it was never fenced anyways so what exactly they are expecting not really sure.

28. brogdale

Who tells you that?

29. likesfish

30. brogdale