Exhibitions at the Royal Academy, London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 24, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

clicker, _pH_, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Thanks for the report. We went a week back and enjoyed it too - I thought the Eduardo Souto de Moura was the most successful (reminded me of Rachel Whiteread). Planning on going back with the kids as I think they'll enjoy the straws.

Edit to add - a notice regarding the same:

[​IMG]

blossie33, Greebo and editor like this.
  3. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Really looking forward to this, have always loved the gold detailing and cherubs on the ceilings in there, will be great to be up amongst it on the viewing platform.

Greebo and Maggot like this.
  4. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I have a week off work and was planning to go to this tomorrow with my mum, as she's a member of the Royal Academy. But now going to Drew's funeral instead.

5. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

All things being equal, I might go on Saturday. With camera of course. :)

6. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Looks great, when is it on until?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From the blooming article I linked to: "the exhibition runs until 6th April 2014."

Greebo likes this.
  8. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Must have missed it, sorry :/

9. _pH_

_pH_ .

Looks excellent. Must book more tickets and try and actually get there this time...

Greebo and editor like this.
  10. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Looks great, I must try and get round to seeing it.

Is it possible to get in without pre purchasing a ticket? Say if I went early on a Sunday or something? I don't generally book if I want to see something at the RA.

Greebo likes this.
  11. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

This looks fantastic, want to see this.

12. vogonity

vogonity Hmm...!

It is fantastic: great spaces filled with extraordinary structures, topped off with a really informative film on the featured architects.

Greebo likes this.
  13. ChrisD

ChrisD .

any experiences on how busy it is would be welcome....
    I'd like to come but will wait until work takes me into London and then chance a last minute visit.
    also how long do you reckon is needed to wizz around all the bits?
    http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/sensingspaces/plan-your-visit/
    it annoys me that I can't leave my work bag (A3 thin case) into exhibition or at their left luggage.

14. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I wandered in today and got tickets on the spot. They let me take a pram and nappy bag in with me- they may be more strict at peak times I guess

ChrisD and Greebo like this.
  15. vogonity

vogonity Hmm...!

I got tickets on the spot, too. It should take about 45 minutes to get around. That said, it was a rainy Tuesday morning... peak times may be a touch more difficult.

16. iona

iona toxic clown

I didn't even have to queue for tickets and I went midday on a fairly sunny Saturday. We were probably there for an hour an a half, but we did lots of wandering round taking photos and sat and watched the whole film and then wandered some more.

Greebo and ChrisD like this.
  17. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Went to see this this morning, got there at 10am when it opened and no problem getting in without booking.

Really enjoyed it, went round once then went and watched the film which was very interesting and useful as the architects explaned their ideas behind the work which gave a good added insight. Then I went round again.

Particularly liked the Japanese guy's bamboo and lights in the dark room and the Chinese guy's rooms built out of sticks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  18. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Appealed to all ages and spent far too long playing with straws - closes 6th april i think.

blossie33 and editor like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus