1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolution of a Goddess.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

How would it? Watch some knobs torment a bull to death on telly just to see if you'd like it?

2. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I've seen clips on Spanish TV before. It interests me about as much as seal clubbing. ;)

3. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards m©JiŢoËŞ for BŘe@ĸƑaƽƮ

I don't even bother watching football on the telly, and I would never pay to watch a bull fight. I am interested in talking with the old boys and trying to understand what they get out of it. As much of an animal lover as I am, I'm not that soft and I'm pretty sure I've seen worse things going on in pig farms and slaughter houses. I eat meat occasionally. I also wouldn't have a problem carrying a loaded gun in circumstances that necessitated. Bull torture does sicken me. However, I still wouldn't mind going to see just what it is that people seem to enjoy about it. Much of Spanish culture is all about flirting with danger at close range.

I will go to the fight and report back.

dessiato likes this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8

I think that talking to the older people will be very interesting. IME few young people are pro bull fighting. It'll be interesting to see what their socio-economic status is. Here it seems to be most popular among the more wealthy.

5. Stanley Edwards

I am still alive at least. Complicated times - not really worth discussing here.

I have almost finished Steffi (painting). I like it. Took a long time. Just need to live with it for a couple of weeks to be sure it is finished, then I have to find a buyer to move on. Money on the street is tough, tough, tough presently. Enjoyed a few evenings off thanks to Johnny Vodka Nice to see you again. U75 poster number Four to find me this year. May see you again in Ibiza.

Detail...

444.jpg

My house mates at the happening squat. UK, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Brazil, Czech Republic and Portugal all represented here. Johnny Vodka will recognise the setting - hope he enjoyed Granada. Sure he will agree, they are a very clever, bright, talented and attractive bunch.

555.jpg

We are currently raising money for Baggy's second vaccination, because he needs a full passport to follow his masters heart to Italy...

666.jpg

Very difficult ATM, but I can't be arsed to talk about it. Very good friends could well be in deep trouble, or worse. This was going to be difficult enough anyway.

Onwards and upwards!

Love Granada, but may well be Ibiza bound very soon. I've changed all my blurb to read 'Ibiza/Granada', so, I will be completing all paintings here and in Ibiza.

blossie33 and Johnny Vodka like this.
  6. Johnny Vodka

Great few nights with Stan and his crew. :cool:

Sweet Meiga and Edie like this.
  7. Stanley Edwards

Painting is finished. Took a long time this one. Just need to let it dry properly, retouch and seal before letting it dry properly again and putting it in storage/sending to a new home. Will photograph it properly another day.

What to do next?

My simple options are...

A: Stay put in Granada. Endure the heat and financial hardship knowing I have a safe, free bed and good friends. Save the cash for a new canvas (€120) and new paints and new brushes etc.

B: Go back to Ibiza. Walk into easy cash, endure the craziness that is Ibiza in July/August, sleep on the beach, or somewhere.

C: Take a bus to Madrid. Work a couple of days. Forget about painting for a while and head to Porto, then Lisbon, then South.

I think I am going to Portugal. I have never been there - it was always so close! I only ever here good things about the place. May talk a beautiful friend into joining me. If that fails, I will try talking a not so beautiful mate into joining me. If that fails, I will go alone.

Not sure. Decision to be made on the toss of a Three sided coin.

Photograph of painting will come soon. Two down, just 21 more to do! I have rescheduled my life. I think the exhibitions will now happen in Autumn 2019.

8. Stanley Edwards

A note about my working hours.

I do not get a salary. I cannot take a sicky.

I am currently working for cash from 10AM - 3PM, and 7PM until I drop (usually about 1AM). The hours in between are painting time. If I do not work, I get no money. A day off costs me about €40. I am not on holiday with a pocket full of cash. Days to paint are lucky days. Days with friends are good days, but I do actually have to work to survive.

I AM NOT ON A PERPETUAL HOLIDAY.

9. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8

Stan, Portugal is beautiful, but the attitude of the people is completely different. Just be careful if you go there. Porto, the Ribeira area, is probably the best place for you to paint because it's very tourist oriented. There's much nicer places to go, but there is where tourists board boats for the river cruises.

Wherever you end up, good luck.

10. Johnny Vodka

Lisbon is amazing, plenty of rough charm! Well worth a visit, though no idea what it will be like from the pov of making money.

11. Stanley Edwards

This is madness.

Not entirely unforeseen 'problems'. In Ibiza I was worried that some crazy person was going to slash a painting. Some police just don't understand it. I often wonder WTF I am doing and, more importantly, why I am doing it. Police keep coming up with 'occupation of a public space without permission'. I then tell them to issue a fine, or notice, or leave me alone. They then try to confiscate everything. I need new paints and brushes - those were very expensive work tools.

I was fully expecting that. What I wasn't expecting so much of was having to give time and a very careful ear to so many mentally not very well people. None appreciate that what I am doing is actually my work. It takes time and concentration. Yesterday, a guy I have known for well over a year now started expressing sure signs of schizophrenia. Nothing I can do about that. He was telling me that my paintings were all about his life!!! I like putting symbols and different stories into work for anybody to read as they so choose to read them, but when it starts to make me feel like I am fucking (inadvertently) with very troubled minds it troubles me.

This is far from the romantic simple life most seem to envisage.

Time to move before I get into deep trouble through no fault of my own.

I want to get to Porto (from there I plan to move southwards very slowly on foot). €80
    New canvas €120
    New paints and brushes etc €150

I need to remember to feed myself properly also. This is not easy financially, physically, nor mentally. As mad as I think this is, I would still bet that my brains are going to hold out far longer than my body.

I am currently emailing clients with what is effectively a full business plan. I think a serious approach to costs is the only way now. Police are being arseholes about letting me sketch for cash, so I need to try a new formula.

Pics will come when I have a half decent camera. Not sure when that will be.

I am still determined to complete a further 20 paintings (and The World's most expensive chocolate), then I can retire. Might take 20 years mind.

dessiato likes this.
  12. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Twenty years, that means you're going to have to find arguments to justify two more gap decades.

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. Stanley Edwards

Paintings have gone into safe, secure storage before I had a chance to photograph them.

Travelling. Taking a break from imaginative paintings. Off to make cash with very figurative Portuguese landscapes, and enjoy a couple of weeks hiking south along the Atlantic coast.

Shit life this :p

dessiato, Chilli.s and blossie33 like this.