1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolution of a Goddess.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

OK. Here we go. This should be a laugh :hmm:

A continuation from the Alternative Ibiza thread in 'Travel' :D

But, this one is not so much about Ibiza. Posting here on a new thread because... some people like reading, some people like to see my work, some people like to take the piss, and most importantly of all; there will be a record, so I can read back in future years and see how I fucked up. Keeping my blog clean, although other stuff will be there also.

A reminder: My mission is to complete 20+ large format oil paintings to hit the big galleries with. I'm out for the cash. Fuck the recognition – I want the money :)

Those who know me best will bet all they have that I will give it my best. Whether my best is good enough, or not is another matter entirely. I have survived winter. It was really, really, really shit at times, but it is done. Spring has sprung and my phone is calling. I have good work to fund my living expenses for the time being. I also have a client in Paris who has agreed to take a painting, and a fellow U75 person is buying one and helping also. The largest gallery in Ibiza have already contacted me. No details yet, but it could be the ideal launch pad to work from when I HAVE DONE THE PAINTINGS. All is good, but I am still up against it. The thieves, the police, the crazies, the selling, the doing, the talking (in all sorts of tongues), they are going to be long, long, very testing days.

Thankfully, I am old enough and sensible enough to avoid all temptations of a 24/7 party island. Hmmmm... financial restrictions are securely in place! I see so many permanent drug fuck-ups here. No recovery option :(

Progress will be charted. And, it will be progress. If nothing else I am going for it. Like seriously going for it in a way that is going to be fantastic fun. Danger, excitement, boredom, shit – the entire warts and all honest account will be here. The biggest test? Putting yourself on a pedestal very publicly and remaining calm and sane. So far today I have taken "that is a hideous dog", and "I could paint that - it is shit". Sooner, or later I will bite. No doubt about it. In the meantime...

stefi001.jpg

A messy start. I am far too impatient. Nothing even starts to make sense until the entire canvas is covered. This is not going to be safe, pretty, unchallenging art. I really don't give a fuck about anything other than what I like and want to do, and the fucking cash ;)

"Come on then you bastards. Throw those fucking rotten tomatoes". Not the ones with big stones hidden in them. I don't like those.

2. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8

Subscribing to the thread. I'm always interested in your art. One day we will be in the same place at the same time and I'll have to buy something from you for Mrs D.

3. Stanley Edwards

Well thank you. My prices are already up mind ;)

Large sketches selling for €200 minimum. Paintings now €2,800 minimum. Discounts for good people. Shall probably up prices even farther soon. If you have 10K to spare, just tell me where and when I need to be :D

Sweet Meiga and dessiato like this.
  4. Stanley Edwards

No painting today :(

Got caught by some bug last night. Vomiting, fever, shits, miss-firing on all cylinders. Totally zapped this morning. I have spent the entire day drifting in and out of sleep in the plaza for the sake of having a bathroom close by. Hopefully, just a day thing. No Goddess painting - couldn't even bring myself to set-up and look at it. Exhausted, dehydrated, shattered, wondering whether to fork out the minimum €40 for a half decent room with bathroom. Only problem here is that means carrying Three large canvases with fresh paint, plus my backpack, plus my toolbox full of paints, pens, brushes etc, plus a hat which holds all my promotional display stuff all the way across town without getting wet oil paint all over the place. Not easily done on a good day.

I have painted a canvas in preparation for a job tomorrow. Old client introduced a friend who wants a 2 Meter x 1 Meter sketch of a view I have done far too many times before. It is money. I can't say no even when I feel like shit. I'll photograph that job tomorrow as I do it.

I want to avoid getting into the trap of just sketching the same old for the sake of good cash. I am here (and there are many places I would sooner be) to paint Goddesses. However, cash is cash ATM.

Here's me much, much earlier in another place doing the same sketching thing. Really shouldn't moan. It is nice work, but once you've done the same sketch 10 times, or so it starts to kill you slowly. Seriously. If shoveling shit for 40 quid a day was an option I would take it. That's a lie obviously, but...

me02.jpg

Those who care to can now put half a face to a name.

5. Stanley Edwards

11am start to have my hands photographed! More than happy to give time to other artists projects. This guy even gave me a pouch of tobacco for my trouble. This isn't his photo - it is the current state of my hands. Apparently, they show life :confused: I was very interested in his camera, but the more questions I asked about it, the more nervous he seemed to get. You have to live with this if you are perceived as being poor. Generally, the majority of people do not trust you. Poor = thieving wrongun. Probably a smackhead, or summat. Poverty scares people!

fri03.jpg

Pretty.

One of my clients wants to record a video clip of me for 5 minutes everyday. Just me talking about life observations and stuff. One clip everyday for a year. She then wants to show it in Madrid. I'm trying to politely back out of this one.

Work ready.

fri01.jpg

Very pleasant day. Just a little windy. No pressure on time for this job. I would like to finish it today though.

fri02.jpg

Just started. Hopefully all done by 8pm, but hey... I am relaxing with a lump of mature sheeps milk cheese, spring onions and fresh out the oven wholemeal loaf. €6 for the lot. Cheese will last me a week. It's the proper stuff. Mountain cured and fucking delicious :)

dessiato likes this.
  6. Stanley Edwards

Day finished. Just waiting until I can go to bed. Photo of sketch tomorrow. Tired. Drunk. Stoned. New season police came. I am sat on a bench playing on my laptop, drinking a beer. Already pleasantly stoned. Didn't notice police at first. Five Meters from my bench is a stash of 2 very large, very wet oil paintings. A 2 x 1 Meter canvas with sketch. My tool box. Sleeping bag. Hat full of promotional crap. Another sleeping bag. A pillow. Two large sofa cushions. It was all as tidy as I know how to do.

I noticed one police going through it all. "No tocar! es no seco", I said.

Are you selling these on the street?
    No - they are for an exhibition.

Is this all yours?
    Yes.
    What! all of it?
    Yes.

I then explained that I had to go and pick up my laptop, but I will be back. They just hung around. Then I asked "is everything OK?". One of them said no. Said I had to take everything away now. They then went on to talk to bar people. 10 minutes later came back past and ignored me. I think I have summer clearance here on a very informal level. All the bars like me.

Have to sort some private space soon.

My mates head is going very wobbly. Bit of a problem this. Nothing whatsoever I can do. For the last couple of days he has been talking about going to hospital to get an injection for his allergy. No idea if he has actually been to any hospital, or medical centre - he is way out there somewhere. Found me tonight and told me the hospital said to leave it 2, or 3 days and come back if he still felt he needed it. That, I guess, was all fantasy, but the fact he is saying it concerns. He is paranoid as fuck. Told me he told the medical staff he just wanted the allergy injection as a preventative measure. No idea if he has been to hospital, or not.

Fuck all I can do about this.

dessiato likes this.
  7. Stanley Edwards

sketch.jpg

I really need to buy a half decent camera, or smartphone. On the waiting list with new boots.

I would be quite happy doing one of these every couple of weeks, or so to keep cash in pocket. People like them. They sell. Ibiza is good for this - one of the reasons why I am here for now.

Looks like I have a few days to paint Goddesses. Not good for anything other than my own amusement on the street, but I do have Two of the Three BIG fishes I was looking to catch. I may try and catch even more. I am being very flexible with this. Obviously, I don't expect people to pay €3,000 up front for paintings which don't exist. My Paris client has agreed to pay a certain amount each month into an account with an art supplies shop (he knows me too well!). This suits me fine - I will never have to wait for cash for a new canvas, or paints etc if all goes well. He gets to choose which painting he keeps. He then may want to resell it for profit at any future exhibitions. Locally, I would be quite happy accepting a spare room for a year, or a fucking good meal everyday, but each painting needs to realise €3,000 in value somehow. It seems to be working so far, so I will agree with Two more patrons if it happens.

Plenty of people have shown good interest already. More will come. In the meantime I know Ibiza can provide from now until November if I just put the hours in and stay lucky. However, I may well move elsewhere. I almost have everything I wanted from this island. Almost.

For those interested, and for my own curiosity (I have never done this in the 10 years working as an artist), I am going to keep track financially. That was €14 for the canvas. €2 for the pen. A days work for €120 sale (old clients get good prices), and about €20 in drops. €124 profit. I have spent a bit. I have €100 in pocket (that will be kept as a working float). A client owes me €220. That will be my opening balance. I think I can keep basic living costs down to €20/day if I continue to camp. Occasional hotels. Medicines and illness contingency isn't anything I can plan for.

I need new boots and a half good camera, or smartphone.

8. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Really not what I expected. I kind of thought you'd look older!

9. dessiato

He's really only 21. ;)

alfajobrob likes this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

You should see how he looks now, that picture's round 10 years auld now.

Thimble Queen and Badgers like this.
  11. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I like the Garden peas across the top but the scale on those bananas is totally fucked.

12. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Stanley have you ever considered selling numbered prints?

dessiato likes this.
  13. Stanley Edwards

For the first time I am trying to sell signed prints on the street. For years people have told me to sell prints. I didn't see the point, because a) I want to make art, not just sell art, and b) I couldn't see the cash in it. I've been putting prints on display as I work now for almost Two months. I haven't sold a single mounted print for just €10. No more. I was right all along. I do sell prints via my blog - very occasionally. Normally, enquiries come from people I have met whilst they were travelling. They note my blog. Look me up when they get home.

dessiato likes this.
  14. Stanley Edwards

That was me around 5 years ago in Santiago de Compostela. I'm ageing OK. A few more laugh lines and a couple of scars :)

Edie likes this.
  15. Stanley Edwards

Another day older...

Palm Sunday. Holy Week has started - not a good money earning week for me. These are Spanish working class people out to get wasted. Nothing more. Getting wasted whilst pretending to be selfish rich twats at the same time as being caring Christians. Sort of. Christianity and Easter means nothing more than holiday to most here. I think they get pissed off for having to go to church everyday to be forgiven for last nights sins.

Anyway, I am painting in the sunshine :)

sun01.jpg

Still don't really know where this one is going. Just playing with ideas for now.

16. Stanley Edwards

Look at my T-shirt. Only just seen it myself. Bought for a €uro from the market at San Jordi. I think it is probably a cool, designer, hip-hop T. Not sure, but I like the colour and the gold skull and cross bones :D

t.jpg

Christ! Have I really been wearing that shit for the past week, or more :D

My mate says he can smell the lemons again. Proper turned his stomach allergy. I think it is an everything allergy. Said he saw the ship coming in from Formentera fully loaded with fruit. I told him lemon picking finished in February. But, no - it was definitely a ship full of lemons, because he could smell them and they made his allergy bad.

"Have you ever been to Formentera?" I aksed.
    Him: "Yes".
    Me: "What is it like?".
    Him: "It's OK".
    Me "What did you do there?".
    Him: "About 8 of us went there to go fruit picking".
    Me: "Right. You've never been to Formentera have you?".
    Him: "It might have been Mallorca. We went on a boat anyway".
    Me: "What fruit were you picking?".
    Him: "We weren't picking fruit".
    Me: "But, I thought... nah, it doesn't matter".
    Him : "No. We had to watch the ship at night. It was full of booze. We were like the nightwatch security. They paid us and everything. But, we weren't allowed to sleep, but we did sleep and helped ourselves to loads of whisky".
    Me: "Ah. Cool. I have to go now".

My mate is not the sort of person I would recommend to anyone for any reason. He is a mate for other reasons. All differences are put aside, because we work well together in very tough situations. Half my size. If any shit kicks off he isn't right behind me, he is right in front of me scaring the living daylights out of anyone who dares. When I found him last September after a Three year break from the island he was almost dead. Thought he was in the RAF. Carefully nurtured he is now pretty much physically fit. His mind was pretty sound also until the allergy thing started. Whenever he starts talking about smells I know another fantasy drama is about to happen. Someone somewhere will be dead and chopped up into pieces (in his mind). He can be very convincing. Ain't his fault, but it really isn't harmless. The fantasies cause many problems. Like many with mental health issues of this sought he is very, very convincing.

Last time he was in hospital he woke up chained to the bed. This was after drinking a concoction of all sorts. No-one knows for sure. The blood tests showed pretty much everything in large quantities. He wasn't totally sound of mind before that. From what I have heard I'm very glad I wasn't in Ibiza for the summer last year. The deaths were not nice. Murder rather than drug fuck-ups.

Strange. The more outrageous his lies and fantasies, the more people seem to want to believe them. Perhaps he knows this. Crazy shit happens here on the streets. Many, many drug blown, crazy people. Some of them are very dangerous.

I bumped into someone I've known since my first visit here. He has always been totally out crazy. Drifting along in his own fantasy world. Apparently harmless. When I bumped into him the other week he was very different. Down. Wanted off the island. Talking in a very disillusioned way about the people here. He killed someone about a week later.

I have lost count of the number of street people/fringe society folk who have died here in the time I have visited. It is horrific, and it all comes down to drugs :(

If you're drinking, smoking at a very relaxed beach party it is all to easy to not question the offer of a drink from a shared bottle. Anything could be in it. You have to be very careful. I keep my own drink extremely safe and never share. Everybody here knows that. I take MDMA when I want to (I'll probably never bother again to be honest. The comedown last year was fucking horrendous). Dangerous little island this. I may well leave before the season starts properly and return when the coast is clear.

dessiato likes this.
  17. Stanley Edwards

Pretty colours.

colours.jpg

Love these colours. I think the entire painting is going to change much tomorrow. I am getting lost in painting a little too much. I need to sort a safe, affordable, regular bed. It is stressing me. No real option during Semana Santa - all booked, or just stupidly expensive. The place I have been using is only available after 3am, and I have to be out by 9am.

And, I am waiting to get paid. Really need the cash NOW! Mañana mañana. This is Spain.

whoha, clicker, blossie33 and 3 others like this.
  18. Stanley Edwards

More mañana frustrations. No idea how people make business work in Spain.

Work came in last night. So, all personal work on hold and off I went to the art supplies shop first thing this morning to buy a canvas.

"The guy who cuts the canvas isn't here - come back later".

"When?"

"Later".

Other than preparing a painting for post to Malaysia :confused: I have done nothing today. Three trips to the art shop. Will have to explain to my client how Spain's fuck slack attitude has cost me a days work. May get the paints out now anyway, or just take the day off and go bed hunting.

All they had to do was a cut a single line down a roll of canvas. WTF?

Celyn and dessiato like this.
  19. Stanley Edwards

OK. That was more, or less a day off. But, the evening has just begun!

I have cleaned, and oiled my hair clippers. My job for the day is to help my mate. I can do this drunk and stoned :D He's gonna get rid of that beardy shit, Five months facial growth, and find a bit of pride again ;)

Sorry. There is no way on Earth I would ever photograph this.

dessiato likes this.
  20. Stanley Edwards

Mission accomplished. Why do people trust me this much?

21. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Do you get hangovers?

Just wondering.

22. Stanley Edwards

Occasionally. When I oversleep.

23. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

[​IMG]

Have a good day Stan!

24. Stanley Edwards

Moving...

Got a call from friends looking to share a modern 5 bedroom house in Granada. Making my way slowly in that direction. Flying is not an option - I will be carrying Two large canvases, box full of brushes and paints, 25 Kilo backpack.

Just waiting for a client to pay me. They may not pay me. Then I'm off. Ferry to Denia and I have no idea what from there :D Could be an interesting hike. Will return to Ibiza at some point.

May go offline for a few days from tomorrow. I fancy a hiking break, but carrying all this? It is possible.

Celyn and blossie33 like this.
  25. Pickman's model

Nick a shopping trolley

26. Stanley Edwards

Hmmmm...

Nobody told me today was a bank holiday (as is tomorrow and Monday). I am stuck in Ibiza until Tuesday. Nothing better to do than paint and see if I can collect enough drops to pay for my beers.

27. Pickman's model

i thought that perhaps after so long in spain you would know when their publick holidays were

Celyn likes this.
  28. Stanley Edwards

Not a chance. There are local fiestas as well as national. Of course, I knew it was Easter, but didn't realise it was from today until Tuesday. I thought it was just Good Friday and Easter Monday like the UK.

Not a big problem. I gave up my bed, but will find another for Five fucking nights. This is going to damage my budget unless I get lucky.

29. Pickman's model

Public holidays in Spain - Wikipedia

30. dessiato

This is the problem in Spain. It's not a holiday here today, tomorrow is. Sunday of course, but not Monday. It's so easy to get caught out.

Celyn likes this.