Everybody In The Place, Rave Doc.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by moody, Jul 29, 2019.

1. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

really?? we tried watching this last night and thought it was dreadful. like a sub-par episode of horrible histories with all the humour removed.

discokermit likes this.
  2. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

I've seen nearly every piece of footage shown, bit disappointed.

Rutita1 and Johnny Vodka like this.
  3. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Or maybe you need to find a new hobby. ;)

Ground Elder, Rutita1 and Maggot like this.
  4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

yeah i thought i was a really interesting watchable history of the island in all its bullshit

never knew about the connection with Franco
    how the local historic landowners have basically been fleeced
    how its now owned mainly by one mafioso like arsehole
    the different negative impacts that each wave of tourism has had
    hinted at the corruption between local government and drugs gangs, superrich assorted cunts etc
    the terrible environmental impact
    sneered at the selfie look at me culture
    all the images of shiny happy people framed to look like twats
    workers are exploited and have to share shifts in a bed because of gentfrication/rise in property costs
    how ibiza today from a clubbing point of view is on its VIP arse and basically shit
    conclusion that modern ibiza is an abomination - and money ruined it

all in a fresh format without the usual talking heads

thumbs up from me

*eta: I was expecting some cringy kind of love letter to Ibiza which this very much wasnt - but still showed respect for the island

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Flipstick likes this.
  5. Johnny Vodka

Have you read the book The White Isle? TBH it's a while since I read it, but it might cover some of the same historical ground. I still enjoy clubbing in Ibiza (would rather club there than here, just because it is more tolerant) but you have to choose your nights and venues wisely.

6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

All of this plus the origins of the superclubs being hippy communes....I learnt so much. Ibiza never appealed to me because we had such a thriving free rave/dance scene here in London. I've only been once as you know because a younger relative got married and has settled there...was nice enough and there are certainly some lovely parts of the island away from the touristic traps... Apart from that, lots of beautiful people and instagramtastic if you like that kind of thing. The history of it all was nicely put into context in this programme though.

7. Johnny Vodka

I go to Ibiza every year. :D No plan to stop anytime soon. :cool:

Rutita1 likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Ibiza never meant shit to me, to paraphrase Chuck D

discokermit likes this.
  9. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Ha! Joke is...I now have the perfect excuse to go as the relative in question has also just made me a great-aunt. I will certainaly go back and of course try one of the superclubs out. Probably DC-10 though because after all i've said above, that's what her other-half does, he's a promoter and I will be on a full freebie. :facepalm:

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  10. Johnny Vodka

Go to DC-10 around 8pm and dance in the garden. Can get way too busy later (so I'm told).

11. Johnny Vodka

Have a badge. :D

12. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Anywhere I can watch this? I can't get BBC here.

13. passenger

passenger up and down...

Yeah me to the rest of the 90`s was great fun :)

Rutita1 and spitfire like this.
  14. diond

diond Well-Known Member

15. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

I enjoyed it :thumbs:

Looking back on the Sunrise Midsummers Night rave is always a treat, the footage does it some justice cos you can see the buzz in the place, it really was an incredible night, and 30 years ago :eek:

Rutita1 likes this.
  16. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

I must've gone to the kitchen for a line when they spoke about the role drugs had in the race scene.

17. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

There was literally no mention of drugs whatsoever.

18. passenger

passenger up and down...

We were high on life Officer Dibble

mwgdrwg likes this.
  19. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

I liked the bit when the flyers were handed out and one girl said she didn't get what it was about...

had she not been paying attention for the last half hour?

20. spitfire

spitfire Toast

He's on BBC Radio 6 now.

21. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

I found it odd that the young people didn't seem to comment on the gurning and wide eyed obviously-high of a lot of the clips.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    ddraig, toblerone3 and skyscraper101 like this.
  22. skyscraper101

At risk of being naive on my part, perhaps a lot of them were a bit young/religious to understand fully. Which is even more reason he should've gone into it.

I feel there was an opportunity lost to go into the specific psychoactive qualities of mdma and why it synched so well with repetitive dance music. Not to take anything away from the politics and technology of the time which was discussed, but not mentioning pills at all just airbrushes out a very significant piece of the pie.

ddraig, toblerone3, Maggot and 2 others like this.
  23. Flipstick

Flipstick Bargain basement Helen Mirren

He was teaching a lesson in school so he wouldn't have been free to discuss the delights of MDMA (I teach about drugs in science lessons, you have to be bloody careful not to allow kids to expose their own drug use, use personal anecdotes or be seen to be endorsing any positives of non prescription drugs)

24. skyscraper101

Perhaps he wasn't allowed to but I feel it is easily possible to have explain the history and effects of the drug in the context of education without glamorising it. Don't kids all learn about drugs and the dangers thereof at school by that age anyway?

25. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

It was a politics lesson, so looking at the political/sociological background would be more relevant than going on about pills

So saying, I would have liked more footage of people off their nut, dancing in fields

kalidarkone likes this.
  26. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

FWIW I didn't like the Deller doc either - the kids didn't seem very interested and his ideas seemed sloppy and poorly explained. I'm usually a fan, but this didn't work IMO

27. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

There would be nothing more boring than an ex raver banging in about how good drugs were. Don't think the school would have been happy if he did.

kalidarkone likes this.
  28. Flipstick

Flipstick Bargain basement Helen Mirren

I've tried to find out which school it was and failed. London state school is all I've got.
    If this was a college they may have had discretion to discuss adult themes. In academy schools it's the parents and governors that decide whether the school teaches about drugs in any more details that name, effect, legal consequence.
    Same goes for sex, basic anatomy and contraception only. Perish the thought that you mention orgasms or show a vulva!

29. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

We have tickets to Sweet Harmony at the Saatchi Gallery on Saturday, Sweet Harmony: Rave | Today The agony on our kids' faces as Frau Bahn and I reminisce will well worth the trip in to town :thumbs:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    kalidarkone, blossie33 and Supine like this.
  30. Johnny Vodka

Pretty sure there was at least one mention. Anyway, pretty obvious many in the clips were on something.