Everybody In The Place, Rave Doc.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by moody, Jul 29, 2019.

1. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

Showing on bbc4 this friday!

"Everybody in The Place: An Incomplete History of Britain 1984-1992 will be broadcast on Friday, August 2nd, and available to stream afterwards.

In the documentary, "Jeremy Deller argues that the explosion of acid house and rave in the UK was a reaction to a much wider and deeper set of fault lines in British culture [and politics]," according to the press release."

dfm, Bahnhof Strasse, Lorca and 12 others like this.
  2. moody

Deller is a previous Tuner Prize winner btw

Badgers, Chilli.s and Lupa like this.
  3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Will definitely watch this

Badgers and Lupa like this.
  4. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

puts in diary

Badgers likes this.
  5. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

This looks really good.

I went to an absolutely fantastic Jeremy Deller exhibition a few years ago called 'Joy In People' (there's a thread about it on here somewhere) and it's obvious the rave scene has had an influence on his art.

Badgers likes this.
  6. skyscraper101

I have a strange obsession with watching amateur rave footage from back in the day on youtube. It's good to see a snippet from this featured in the trailer.

7. fucthest8

fucthest8 What the zarking fardwark was that?

That one is a classic
    "I'm gonna keep dancin' forever me, well at least until I remember where I put me car"

8. skyscraper101

Maybe even ham face himself will feature.

[​IMG]

Badgers and moody like this.
  9. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

He uncannily looks like you actually! :D

10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

I thought that :thumbs:

Fez909, Badgers and Rutita1 like this.
  11. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I'd argue that it was because doing drugs and dancing is fun.

The popularity of Love Island is a reaction to the political split over Brexit. We needed something to reunite a bitterly divided youth.

12. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Illegal raves seem to become more popular when the tories are in power

13. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

It's not illegal rave but free raves (which just so happen to be illegal) or exceedly cheap raves (fire certificates and licences cost money y'know) and that's merely because everyone is skint (except for the Tories and their rich mates).

14. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I'm unreasonably excited about this. So fancy a night out at a proper rave with all the extras. Just need to find somewhere that's at least partially populated by the late 40s - early 50s age group.

Meanwhile I'm listening to this. Best acid/old school mix I know of. Does take a few minutes to get going but at around 19 minutes I started to feel the pill kicking in, even though I haven't touched them for 10 years.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. moody

ruffneck23 likes this.
  16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It was a bit underwhelming for me

Bit of nostalgia but nothing more than a search on YouTube.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    passenger and spitfire like this.
  17. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I thought it was very good, and not what I was expecting. I liked the format and it was relatively fresh considering how often this ground has been covered.

Flipstick, spitfire and kalidarkone like this.
  18. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Amazing. The teaching format and brilliantly sourced footage was :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

fucthest8, ezone, spitfire and 2 others like this.
  19. moody

anyone catch the Ibiza thing before it?

I taped both, will watch later

20. Johnny Vodka

Yeah.

I can see why Ibiza The Silent Movie isn't universally liked. It's irreverent and the historical re-enactments are cheesy. It also spends much of its time in the distant past. It definitely feels like a sillier screen version of The White Isle. I really liked it, though, when it jumped to footage of more recent history.

Maggot, Badgers and skyscraper101 like this.
  21. skyscraper101

I fell asleep in the first 10 minutes. More out of exhaustion than anything but that intro in the classroom about how hit man and her somehow embodied some national shift in politics and music because of that ‘rave’ episode they did at Shellys was already irking me.

Badgers likes this.
  22. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

I thought it was great- but to be fair I'd taken two tramadol for my back and thought everything was great!:D

I did enjoy the teaching format and interaction with the youngers and their observations.

I found it quite disconcerting how dated the footage of the 80' was. It's the first thing in my life to make me feel psychologically old:(

23. spitfire

spitfire Toast

The format was interesting but I would have liked it to go further to the CJB/A which to me was the logical end point of the politicisation of rave in a documentary. Maybe part 2 is in the tubes?

I'd like to ask him why he finished there.

Badgers and Johnny Vodka like this.
  24. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Although TBF he does call it "an incomplete history"... :D

Badgers likes this.
  25. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I enjoyed it and I especially enjoyed the kids learning about self expression in real life, not in the digital world. The sheepish looks from some of them when the absence of mobiles was mentioned meant I hope some of them went out with their mates after and actually did shit together. Probably not but I can dream. It did get me a bit itchy for a dance though.

oryx, danski, Orang Utan and 2 others like this.
  26. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed it and thought it covered the history well and it was interesting to see the reactions of the kids. I liked the extra insights into 80s life as well and the fact that it wasn't whitewashed.

I have seen a bit of nasty commenting on Facebook coming from some old school ravers about there being Muslims in the classroom.

27. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Absolutely loved this. Deller is a national treasure.

28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Liked it a lot but not really any new information/position in it...it is quite a well trodden path.

I think the best bit was getting kids reactions and i wouldve liked more of that. favourite bit was karate cop and also a flyer that claimed 10 bouncy castles :D

Jeremy Dellers whole thing seems to be making associations...like with the Acid Brass project, by getting colliery brass bands to play acid house tunes you make that connection between miners strike, working class communities, folk culture and the rave scene in one swift move - and it sounds good!
    Same goes for his Folk Archive project, really worth checking that out - theres a great book of it - a nice present for yourself
    Folk Archive: Contemporary Popular Art from the UK | Book Works
    Basically they curated lots of pictures and emphemera which makes the link between raving, soundsystem culture, neo paganism, icecream vans, crochet, flower arranging, graffiti etc etc - basically mapping what contemporary spontaneous folk art is today - folk as in regular people. Rebuilding a picture of british grassroots Society. Good stuff.

I really liked the Julien Temple Ibiza film though, fresh and interesting. Really recommend giving that a watch.

crossthebreeze, oryx, de_dog and 4 others like this.
  29. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Yeah not ground breaking news but a great way to present and contextualise what happened and why. :thumbs:

Did anyone else think 'this would have been the best history and politics lesson I never had'? Really loved the multimedia approach and the clever way he wove and presented the strands so that those young people were engaged. I imagine that was a few hours worth of seminar edited down so there would have been stuff we didn't see. They were able to clearly identify the differences between the way they live and connect with other people and spaces now etc. Lovely and predictable to see their hands shoot up into the lasers at the end.

It is a decent bit of tele. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  30. Johnny Vodka

I can only imagine if they started doing that in every school it would be controversial. You could almost argue on one level it's an enticement for kids to take class As. :hmm:

Rutita1 likes this.