Eustons first Afro-Carribean passenger guard remembered.

Discussion in 'transport' started by davesgcr, May 14, 2018.

1. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

There is now a plaque to remember this employee of the Windrush generation. I had the pleasure of meeting some similar staff in my career , really old school guys , often working in not very nice surroundings (the North London area and even Suffolk) , and they were an utter credit to the job.

Slo-mo, Poi E, Badgers and 8 others like this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Yeah North London is grim, agreed

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  3. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Was grim, much better now I think, specially in reference to the stations.

Used to do the evening mail runs when I worked for Walker sending parcels out, and the northern stations were a bit grim then, or couidl beenm the weather was pants. Always dark and damp, but efficient and nice people there.

4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Transformed from what it was in my days in the mid 1990's - especially Stratford to Canonbury , and especially Kensal Green to Wembley Central.

Amazing what a bit of extra money can do to improve stations by "proper" staffing.

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Fair play to the guy. London must’ve been a grim place back in the 50s and 60s for any person of colour to work in.

6. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Not just London.

Bristol Bus Boycott - Wikipedia

For example.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Yet only a couple of decaded previously, many British people had been astounded at the colour bar in the US Army.

Witness some of the Giles cartoons and the various stories of scraps between US Army personnel, when the locals would pile in on the other side to the white Americans.

agricola and dylanredefined like this.