European Elections 2019

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Tooter, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Who are you voting for in the European elections 2019

Poll closed May 9, 2019.
  1. Labour

28 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Conservative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Green Party

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Liberal Democrats

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. SNP

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Plaid Cymru

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Our Nation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Brexit Party

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  9. UK Independence Party

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Change Uk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Buckethead

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  12. Not Voting

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

So as you may or may not know the European Parliament Elections are on Thursday 23 May.

Are you going to bother voting? If so who are you going to vote for and why?

brogdale likes this.
  2. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Spunking cock option?

3. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

Just looked up who 'Our Nation' are because I thought they were Nazis. Turns out they aren't but, they are idiots.

Tooter likes this.
  4. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Why is there no Whig option?

5. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Have the candidates been announced yet?

6. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I might vote Change UK on the grounds that since I will probably be the only one who does I can look at the results the next morning and actually see my own vote.
    Seriously though I'm not sure that it's actually worth bothering, this is largely going to be a protest vote that won't get its point across and won't change anything. It will depend mostly on whether the weather is nice enough on the day to make me stroll to the polling station. maybe call in for a couple of beers on the way home.

7. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

Sadly Lord Buckethead is not standing at present, as he's worried he might actually split the vote. Which makes him ever so slightly less ridiculous than Change UK.

(I only learned today that he has, like Doctor Who, had multiple incarnations. Which would make sense as he also stood against Thatcher in 1987).

Tooter, spitfire and marty21 like this.
  8. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

'The deadline for candidate nominations was 24 April for the South West England region and is 25 April for all other regions'

I believe the Conservatives have said they are not going to release their candidate list until after the nomination deadline.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

If they're held I'll vote - not decided who for yet, but it won't be tory/kippers/brexit cunts, obviously.

10. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

A protest vote for who I wonder? Against Europe or against Brexit? Or against certain personalities? Surely voting may influence wether or not Farage and his ilk get a seat at the table in the European parliament. Worth a vote no?

11. existentialist

existentialist There's gonna be moquette!

You were probably thinking of "One Nation", which is the Aussie Nazi lot with that repellent chip shop fascist Pauline Hanson (in fact, I think they're officially called "Pauline Hanson's One Nation").

12. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't know that. He probably would have done quite well.
    Going off the recent events with inexperienced comedians being elected prime ministers it probably makes sense, judging by the public mood at the moment he could have probably won. :D

I guess it makes sense to not split the vote. On a personal note I just want to vote to keep farage and other idiots out of there.
    Is picking a candidate purely a pro or anti European choice? Not quite sure what other considerations there are.

It's likely someone will correct me but I think out of all the nominees across the spectrum there are only a handful of new faces...hardly groundbreaking change.

13. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

I'd be quite interested as to why people have decided not to vote. Is it just because you can't be bothered? Lost faith in politics? You see it as pointless?

14. chilango

It's highly unlikely there'll be anyone I want to vote for

muscovyduck and Tooter like this.
  15. existentialist

existentialist There's gonna be moquette!

So far, I have always voted. But it has felt to me increasingly as if, every time there is an election, I am having to think harder and harder about who is the "least worst" candidate. Nearly all, if not all of the candidates, represent a monied world of wealth and privilege that represents neither my values nor those of the communities I have lived in, and that disparity bothers me.

The irony is that, if I decided to stand, poverty-stricken and idealistic as I am, I would still represent a level of privilege that the voters who most need representation could only hope to aspire to.

hegley, muscovyduck and Tooter like this.
  16. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Perhaps not all, but certainly some have.

17. chilango

Those of you in the South East England constituency may remember the Roman Party from previous elections.

He drove my bus today :thumbs:

kebabking likes this.
  18. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

Heard a very interesting discussion about how UK voters should really be looking at what pan-european parties our domestic parties stand in....it quite surprised me I didn't know much about S&D, EFDD, EFA, ALDE, ECR. I have to admit it surprised me how little I knew about European politics, in turn it makes me think how few people with the power to vote are making an informed decision.

It would appear already that quite a few people in the UK are going to vote for the party whos only policy can't be enacted from the place they are electing them to. Not only that but voting for the personality who rallies against the unelected beurocratic EU. Another single ticket for the gravy train! All aboard!

muscovyduck likes this.
  19. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Probably Labour, just in case there's a strong Brexit Party-type push round here.

20. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

you can vote for the Lib dems

same thing really

21. not a trot

not a trot Well-Known Member

Add your own name to the ballot paper then vote for yourself.

22. Tooter

Tooter Well-Known Member

It was either whig or buckethead who is not actually running. I ran out of options.

Ax^ likes this.
  23. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

The EU elections have been promoted as a unofficial referendum by the FPBE crowd as well as those want to leave. Nor is such argument limited to EU elections, plenty of people (both on U75 and wider) argued for a vote for Labour in 2017 as a means of showing support for Corbyn even if a particular MP is/had been strongly opposed to Corbyn.

Tooter likes this.
  24. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

They are actually (for once) quite important, because of Brexit and the need for manipulation of the European parliament and thereby the council to suit our own agenda. Or be slightly less screwed over.

Obviously the right across Europe get this and are stepping up the pressure, as they hope to get rid of the current administration and get more political power within the EU.

As the liberals and centre will be getting a trouncing across Europe, now is definitely the time for the left to pull out some votes. So I will be voting Labour, if they actually happen... best of a bad bunch and better than abstaining and letting the right dominate.

rowan, William of Walworth and Tooter like this.
  25. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Seems the Labour advertising is coming in for some stick. It'll be interesting to see what the official policy on 2nd ref is after the NEC meeting next Tuesday.

HuffPost is now part of Oath

26. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Has anyone even attempted to provide a rational justification for electing brexit loons to the European parliament?

I mean if your problem is the UK doesn't have enough control within the EU, surely picking representatives who you know for a fact aren't going to even show up to work is likely to do the exact opposite of helping to address that?

27. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Some stick from the usual people, for the usual reasons, with the usual lack of any kind of sense behind it.

28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

All of the above. The EU parliament is a joke anyway. I'm not using my vote to justify UK participation in an institution that welcomes and empowers nazis.

HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  29. HungryTommy

HungryTommy Banned Banned

probably just best to boycott the whole thing

30. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

Argonia likes this.