1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Euro 2016 Violence thread (to keep the footie threads on footie)

Discussion in 'Euro 2016' started by Anudder Oik, Jun 14, 2016.

?

Do you still think it's the English fans fault?

1. Yes, we're still in 70's and 80's

3.3%
  2. No.

80.0%
  3. Yes, 80 fans sang "This city is ours", in Marseille

3.3%
  4. Yes, for being nationals of one nation that's fucking the world over with its Cross-Atlantic cousin.

3.3%
  5. Yes, cos no one likes us.

10.0%
  1. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

No surrender to the prejudiced middle class twats!

passenger and Pickman's model like this.
  2. Anudder Oik

Anudder Oik heinous pointless bellend/fucking gobshite muppet

3. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

#notallenglishfans

4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Bad taste? Decent fan? In an effort to remind us of the fact (which we all know already) that not all English football fans are thugs you are revealing some of your own seriously dismissive/apologetic attitudes to the thuggery of the ones that are.

5. friedaweed

And he accuses others of trolling:rolleyes::facepalm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

to be fair he just said there was deliberate trolling on this thread.

The Boy and friedaweed like this.
  7. friedaweed

Aye fair doos :cool:

8. Anudder Oik

From the Independent article itself posted by Imposs1904:

"These kids must have been no more than eight or nine. It was pretty bad taste."

It has not been confirmed if the fans are English or not.

You are more worked up by this non event, involving how many people?, than by the extreme thuggery acted out on dozens of innocent fans. For you this takes priority. You are a hypocrite.

You call it thuggery. The definition of Thug is: a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  9. Anudder Oik

Bad taste or atrocity?

Here's the video. It's approximately 8 english fans throwing coins and sweets on the ground. One of the kids puts one in his mouth. It's bad taste, distasteful, but not the extreme nastiness you are making it out to be. Seriously, do you think this video should have a trigger warning?

What is the context you want to frame this in? What is the point you are trying to make by posting about it in a thread about the violent incidents at the Euro 2016?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. Saul Goodman

Grown men mocking children less fortunate than them isn't extreme nastiness, really?
    Hooligans choosing to fight and getting hurt is their own fault. I'm not suggesting they all chose to fight, because I don't know if they did, but many did, just as the people in the video chose to mock and belittle those children.

11. Anudder Oik

On the scale of things, the description, "extreme nastiness" can't really be surpassed. What comes after the word "extreme"?

If the men had kicked or hurt the children, then what? Surely you would have to use something stronger than "extreme nastiness" to describe it?

Do you see what I am getting at? Extreme emotional language is being used out of context. I would call what they did, bad taste and thoughtless but not extreme.

How would you describe the parents/clan that have forced them out onto the streets to beg in the first place? Extreme nastiness?

12. Saul Goodman

Extreme nastiness sums it up for me. I think what you should have asked is what comes after the word "nastiness", in which case there are many words to describe more despicable actions.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, so you know the background to these children and all about their parents? Great. Please quote your sources. Thanks.

14. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Meh. It was just a bit of drunken horseplay that got out of hand. Boys will be boys, eh?

15. Rutita1

What on earth are you talking about? You on this thread can observe and post that;

..but I am not supposed to notice, because if I do I am a hypocrite that doesn't care about innocent fans being bashed?

The behaviour towards those kids is just one incident posted about on this thread that show that the attitudes and behaviour of some English fans is thuggish...but Ssssssh, yeah? :facepalm:

16. Pickman's model

if you point it out you're a middle class wanker who doesn't understand the poor england fans who are getting bullied by the big russian boys. apparently.

17. Pickman's model

nastiness apparently

Saul Goodman and two sheds like this.
  18. Anudder Oik

I've said the coin business was bad taste from the beginning and repeated that. It is a callous act by 8 fans. What is surprising is it is the only incident that has alarmed half the posters on here, despite what has been going on since Marseille.

In reply to, and despite me writing "decent fans should walk away from such a scene", Rutita replied "Decent fans"? Either showing confusion over what was written or betraying her belief that decent fans cannot exist.

Here is a video of extreme cruelty during the Euro. Trigger warning: Scenes of phsychological torture.

Turkish football fan trashes house after his wife pranks him by repeatedly turning off the TV with a hidden remote.

19. Pickman's model

i wouldn't say alarmed, disgusted maybe. sickened perhaps.

20. Rutita1

I was in Marseille and I know: all England fans bear some blame for the football violence | Tom Walker

It was easy to avoid the trouble – as indeed I did – and this alternative reality proves how easy it would have been for the English to have come and gone, leaving behind only a welcome spike in the profits of bars, and the respect of the inhabitants.

Of course, England fans were not directly to blame for the premeditated and terrifying attacks perpetrated by organised Russian criminal gangs or the odd feral local. Nor were they directly to blame for the unnerving scenes on which a group of Russian criminals charged across one section of a stand behind the goal, very nearly creating a Heysel-style disaster.

Still, as we walked back across Marseille, the city had militarised. My boys found this exciting, but I was nervous as we threaded our way back to our apartment through the crowds.

I was by this stage braced for the torrent of cliches, half-truths and excuses that would be proffered. I read them avidly in the days that followed: stories of heavy-handed policing, of provocations, and the tired old tale of the mindless minority taking us back to the “dark days”, whenever they were.

Such commentaries do not, in my view, take us to the heart of the problem. Worse, while they parade as objective and sober assessments they diffuse analysis and obfuscate – setting out our national party line that there will always be some “bad apples”.

The truth is, as a national footballing community it is time to start taking responsibility for our members. The reality is that the corpus of English football culture, however much it has improved, still requires surgery. A bit of honesty is desperately required.

So let us recap. England fans turned up in huge numbers to a multi-ethnic city in a country in the middle of a state of emergency. Many of them gathered in a series of bars in and around the Old Port. They paraded flags bearing the names of the small towns and cities whence they came. They drank excessively and they sang abusive songs, about Marseille, about the French, about anyone who was not English.
    The unpalatable truth of the matter is that while those intent on violence may number in the low hundreds, there are an equal or greater number of England fans intent on aiding and abetting the disorder. Hundreds, then, who clearly revelled in their aggressive occupation of the port. The whole purpose of this occupation being to provoke – they wanted rivals to attack; and when they did, the English responded in force, sometime dispersing their assailants before going on to attack the police, who if anything were not “heavy handed” enough.

It is time to stop making excuses and take some responsibility. This sizeable minority is nourished by a culture of disrespect – and it is the majority who are also to blame. Let me point to the way England fans react to their opponents’ national anthems. At the Russia match you could barely hear their national anthem above the deluge of boos from the “respectable majority” of England fans. Like it or not, England fans breathe a spirit of malevolence into the game.

If we really want to stop the hooliganism, forget the minority: it starts with the mindless majority. And it is time for all of us to start showing some respect. Respect for the game, for our hosts, for our opponents and, perhaps more importantly, for ourselves. Until we do, we must accept responsibility for the behaviour of our countrymen instead of comforting ourselves with the same old stories.

21. Rutita1

Maybe too Middle Classed to be allowed to comment?

22. Skyfallsz

Skyfallsz Increase the positivity Banned

So the author is arguing that this large and mostly peaceful section of English society needs to take responsibility for and accept that they are to some extent complicit in the actions of a tiny minority of extremists who claim to have the same beliefs as them?

23. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

The Chase back on in 20 mins. I've managed to keep a lid on my violent urges so far. Better not be a teatime match tomorrow tho

24. Skyfallsz

Apparently the Croatia fans were attacking the Croatia fans inside the stadium and the players are blaming that for them losing their concentration at the end

25. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

"Tom Walker is a criminal barrister based in Cardiff"
    He should hear what the welsh are like on here
    :hmm:

Maltin likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're sounding a bit desperate now. Pathetic, almost.

spartacus mills likes this.
  27. pocketscience

[​IMG]

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A word of advice: to be a successful troll you're not supposed to make yourself like a try-hard muppet.

HTH. HAND. TTFN.

29. pocketscience

lol. successful troll - an oxymoron.

Just highlighting another example of this weird obsession the welsh seem to have with national anthems - which ironically came to my attention when a welshman was being a muppet trolling England fans.

diond likes this.
  30. Skyfallsz