EU Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by NoXion, Nov 21, 2018.

1. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

So what do fellow Urban tech users think of this?

What is Article 13 and Article 11? The EU's "meme ban" copyright plan explained | WIRED UK

Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market - Wikipedia

Seems like it would mean more "video unavailable"s on YouTube, and possibly good-bye to those streaming websites that enabled me to watch The Expanse.

Leaks Show Europe's Attempts to Fix the Copyright Directive Are Failing

This article seems to show what a shit job the EU is doing at writing this law. They don't have a clue.

2. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Coincidentally I received this e-mail earlier today from those unbiased arbiters of truth and justice: YouTube

Hi,

Imagine an internet where your videos can no longer be seen.

Imagine an internet without your favourite creators.

Imagine an internet where new artists are never discovered.

It could happen in Europe.

Article 13 is part of a new European Union copyright directive created with the intent to better protect creativity and find effective ways for copyright holders to protect their content online. To be clear, we support the goals of Article 13. However, the current European Parliament proposal of Article 13 will have serious unintended consequences. It threatens to deprive millions of people in Europe of their ability to upload content to platforms like YouTube. European viewers would lose access to billions of videos from all over the world.

There's a better way. Learn more and make your voice heard at YouTube | #SaveYourInternet - Article 13

The YouTube Team

3. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

Hah! The idea of YouTube as anything but the walled garden that allows exactly this sort of control in the first place is laughable. A large amount of copyrighted material on YouTube is already blocked in the EU and who's responsible for that?

4. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

Youtube is a bit bonkers.
    I watch quite a lot of copyright TV programmes on there such as Time Team, whereas when I uploaded a video the other day it was blocked because of the barely perceptible Brian Eno music playing in the background...

5. ItWillNeverWork

ItWillNeverWork Back again

They have automatic filters that cross check soundtracks with a database of songs registered with them as copyrighted. Then they block anything that flags up as a match. I guess the Time Team team just haven't registered their stuff yet.

I can't blame them, to be fair. After a hard day digging up Roman brick shitters and ancient Celtic fertility charms, all whilst slowly getting pissed on farmhouse scrumpy, I'd probably not have the energy either.

Some pissed archaeologists ftw:

time team pint.jpg

time team 2.jpg

cupid_stunt and gentlegreen like this.
  6. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

I think the bottom photo is of a skeleton not a pissed archaeologist.

Hope that helps.

7. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

YouTube's algorithm doubtless thinks otherwise.

8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I thought it was just a tightening up on copyright, isn't it?

9. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

It's supported by the same companies that installed rootkits on peoples' computers without their permission, so I very much doubt it's that simple.

I've no doubt that the likes of Google, etc have their own reasons for opposing it, but that doesn't mean there won't be any fallout. I expect that this EU garbage will reinforce walled gardens, not weaken them.