Etiquette accepting a job

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by muvva, Jul 9, 2018.

  1. muvva

    muvva Well-Known Member

    Hi Urbans
    Could someone give me advice please?
    My partner had an interview, he’s likely to hear the outcome tomorrow. However another organisation has responded to his CV and are interested.
    What is the etiquette when accepting a job when you’ve applied for more than one?
    Thanks!
     
  2. Supine

    Supine Rough Like Badger

    Never outright lie. Use minor delays 'to think about the offer', be honest (ish) and say another company are deciding on an offer. Tell them you want to think it over at the weekend. A few minor delays will help.

    I'd suggest you need to decide by Monday so contact the other side and say your holding an offer so they need to decide by Thursday with a counter offer.

    Play both sides against each other to get a pay rise :thumbs:
     
  3. alex_

    alex_ Well-Known Member

    Yes, delay the first one. Eg I need to discuss some things with my parter, ask them to post you the contracts for you to review, take a full day to reply to everything ( eg reply to emails in the evening ), ask lots of questions, but not all in one go, emphasise how busy you are at work ( I’m a model employee....) apologise that it may take you a while to respond to things because of this. You can easily string it out a week. Be aware that the hr person you are talking too if they are any good, will be able to figure this out if you take too long. Do you know if they have any other candidates ?

    Then for the other lot - you’ve got a really attractive offer already, better in at least one way they are going to struggle to compete with - closer to home, more aligned with something you say is important, make it clean they need to hurry.

    Alex
     
    cupid_stunt, Voley and muvva like this.
  4. muvva

    muvva Well-Known Member

    Brilliant advice, thanks Supine.
     
  5. muvva

    muvva Well-Known Member

    Thanks alex_ I’ll get him to delay a bit, glad to hear a few days isn’t unreasonable!
     
    alex_ likes this.
  6. cyril_smear

    cyril_smear Well-Known Member

    Ye man.

    "They're offering me minimum wage but if you offer me £7.83 an hour I could be tempted"
     
    muvva and BristolEcho like this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

    dunno really.

    in the grand scheme of things, which job is he more keen on? i assume from the fact that he's still considering the second one that it's better (in whatever way 'better' is defined here) than the first one? it's sod's law that if you're applying for a few jobs, it's the one you're least keen on that offers first.

    how fast are employer 1 going to want to move? would it be offer subject to references / medical or anything like that? in which case that in itself will create some time. how soon is anything going to happen with employer 2? there's possibly not a lot to lose from asking employer 2 if they could get a move on because he's been offered something else, but they appeal to him more.

    i'd be wary of telling employer 1 he's got something else up in the air and (by implication) he'd rather wait for that than accept their offer. Unless he's in the kind of field where he's likely to be successful in playing them off against each other. Some employers would take the attitude 'well if we're your second choice, we're not going to wait around for you, we'll offer it to our second choice'. you (and partner) know the line he's in, i don't.

    likewise, if he ends up passing on the first offer and the second one doesn't come to anything, how big a deal is that, either career wise or financially? (don't expect that answering here, but just saying it needs thinking about)

    personally, i'd go more with the approach that alex_ has suggested.

    legally, once you've accepted a job, you can withdraw your acceptance - in effect giving notice before you start - i think in theory an employer could insist on you starting and working out that notice, but i can't imagine any employer actually doing that.

    and probably goes without saying to be professional with all concerned and not be a dick about it - you never know when you might encounter someone again in business, either as a possible client or boss in the future...

    best of luck to all involved
     
    muvva likes this.
  8. alex_

    alex_ Well-Known Member

    You can definitely string it out a few days, a week would be a bit tricky. If you are going to do this it might be worth setting it up first rather than just disappearing - eg I’ve got a big project and am going to be doing a lot of Hours, I’m travelling for work, england are playing and I’m going to get proper fucked up ( maybe not this one ) etc as this will make you look a lot less flakey.

    Alex
     
    muvva likes this.
  9. Mrs D

    Mrs D . Banned

    I would just accept the first one, and if the second one comes along and seems like a better prospect, accept that one too. Then you can just tell the first one you reconsidered. Sucks for them but if they’d offered an unbeatable package in the first place you wouldn’t have gone elsewhere.
     
    muvva likes this.
  10. cupid_stunt

    cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

    A few years ago I accepted a job offer, the Friday before the Monday I was due to start, I had a call from another company interested in my C.V., I pointed out I was starting with their opposition on Monday, and wouldn't feel comfortable going for an interview so soon after starting with them.

    Much to my amazement, the guy offered me an interview straight away, then offered me the position on the spot with £3k more than the other lot, asking me if his offer was near to their's. I replied, 'near', and much to my amazement he upped his offer by another £2k, so I accepted.

    The other lot weren't best pleased, being let down at such short notice, but then ended-up head-hunting me a couple of years later.

    The moral of this story, is play the game, and get the best deal. :thumbs:
     
  11. chilango

    chilango *shrugs*

    Obviously depends upon industry and role, but...

    I'd avoid answering the phone when you're expecting to hear. Let it go to voicemail. Then you can reply as and when appropriate.

    Ideally pre-warn employer No.1 that you might not be able to to take phone calls that evening because [insert plausible reason] but that if they leave a message you'll get back to them as soon as - but give them an indication i.e later that night/the next morning/the following day. If you're having this conversation face to face you should be able to get a feel for how quickly they'd need a reply.

    Then (if its an offer) you can reply with a positive "acceptance in principle... but can you just clarify [insert plausible query]? which depending upon how quickly they can answer might buy you a bit more time.

    Meanwhile tell the second prospective employer that you've had an interview and are awaiting an outcome/been offered a position and give them a timescale of when you'll need to confirm acceptance with prospective employer no.1. If they're keen enough they'll get a move on. If not, you know to accept the first.

    The sort of jobs I go for there's little chance of playing one off against the other unfortunately as they'd just tell me to fuck off and move on to the next candidate :D
     
    muvva likes this.
  12. cybershot

    cybershot Well-Known Member

    It won't be the first, or the last time the company has recruited and then get's let down days before someone is due to start. It's the nature of recruitment and also how bad the company want you. Most corporations are prepared to shit over their employees at any given opportunity, so i wouldn't worry about 'letting one down'

    Equally, you don't officially accept any job until you've read the contract and got it in your hands and sent it back. So this buys you several days anyway.

    Good to see the OH is working things out btw. :)
     
    Mrs Miggins, muvva and cupid_stunt like this.
  13. donkyboy

    donkyboy Crazy cat man

    why would you tell one company that made you an offer that another company has made you one as well? they might just say we aint got time for procrastinators and offer the job to the next best candidate.
     
  14. Supine

    Supine Rough Like Badger

    It's a negotiation isn't it. You get the best wage at the final offer by playing your cards at the table and making them feel that the power is in your hands.
     
  15. donkyboy

    donkyboy Crazy cat man

    this depends if this is a high skilled job or not-which the OP has not made clear.
     
    Badgers likes this.
  16. Mrs Miggins

    Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

    This.

    You are under no legal obligation until you've signed and returned a contract so you can verbally accept one offer but then say "I'm very sorry but a better offer has come up". Don't bin the one off until you've signed with the other though in case they do the same to you!
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice