ESA advice

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by moody, Nov 19, 2018.

  1. moody

    moody Being alive increases risk of death.

    aw man,

    the DWP just sent me a "Capacity to work" form. I have a feeling because I work (16 hours permitted ) that they want to kick me off the ESA that I am claiming at the moment.

    I only just had an assessment in August. My employment worker/advisor told me I should be good for at least a year.

    I am dreading being forced on to universal credit or other such nonsense and hence being forced to give up my course that I just achieved funding for and as a result being made to take up some dead end job in retail/ hospitality just to please the statistics.

    I know for sure, this will put me in a much worse position immediately and for the future too.


    Any advice would welcome.
  2. Argonia

    Argonia Happy go licky

    No advice but solidarity mate
  3. yield

    yield zero

    Argonia likes this.
  4. moody

    moody Being alive increases risk of death.

    thanks guys.

    it's not that I can't/don't want to work. I do want to work. but I have no qualifications or real skills and would only end up in an unskilled job as described in my op.

    the dwp won't have it that I am using the space esa gives me to better myself by doing a course so i can gain a professional qualification and thus a job where I am engaged, interested and keen to do.

    I've come so far, giving up a full time drug addiction, then my dad died... fucks sake, this is all I need.
  5. quimcunx

    quimcunx protestant traybake

    Unfortunately, as various job coaches or whatever the fuck they are called have said to people I know doing ESOL courses, 'We don't care about your education. Get a job.'

    They don't care that ESA is giving you space to improve your life chances. They want you to no longer qualify for ESA so they don't have to pay you ESA. Then you will have to move to UC/JSA element where they will only care about you getting a job so they don't have to pay you that either. Actually they don't care about you getting a job either, just that they can stop paying you.

    Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you'll get someone decent and still qualify for ESA. Sorry, I don't have any advice. I feel that I should after such a negative post. :oops: I'm just angry and want to rant.
    yield and Rutita1 like this.
  6. yield

    yield zero

    Sorry to hear about your dad. Might be worth getting an appointment with Citizens Advice To see if there's a grant or something you can get to help till you've done the course?
  7. geminisnake

    geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

    Dunno where you are but a form within 6 months of an assessment seems wrong, get in touch with CAB and check if your local council has a welfare rights office and get in touch with them. Some areas also have law centres so check for that too

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice