Enoch Powell might get blue plaque

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by gosub, Feb 1, 2018.

1. gosub

gosub ~#

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  2. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

He shouldn't be forgotten but he doesn't deserve to be remembered fondly - maybe they could compromise and put the plaque on a sewer vent pipe near his former home or something.

3. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

The bit about the Tiber foaming with blood always gets quoted, but for me the phrase about 'the black man getting the whip hand over the white man in 15 to 20 years' was worse (if that's possible). Vile, vile man who did much to try and make racism respectable. Rather than a blue plaque he should get a position of honour in the deepest pit of hell.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

If the murderous Lenin can have a blue plaque I see no reason Powell shouldn't. Lenin to my mind rather puts Powell in the shade when it comes to being nasty to people. Not sure a blue plaque means people remembered fondly

5. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

It was Powell himself who said “all political careers end in failure” so a plaque can indicate his existence & his infamy without celebrating his life.

William of Walworth likes this.
  6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Joe Meek has one, and he murdered the woman he lodged with. Don Arden has one, and he was a violent gangster. And so on. If it was a badge of approval there's plenty who wouldn't have one.

7. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Powell was one of the most significant figures of British politics in the 20th century - if blue plaques are dished out to 18th century writers of utter dirge who's main achievements were wandering around Italy in a big shirt and dying of syphallis, then Powell crosses the line by some margin.

We note the lives of many who's life's works could be described as being of mixed value, Powell had an impact, so his life should be noted.

8. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Trying to think who you're referring to here. Sounds like a sort of regency Stanley Edwards.

9. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I don't think he should be noted as a person but the fact that we in Britain have never been immune to the dangers of fascism is somethng that needs to be remembered.

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Enoch Powell - MP, mental health reformer, classicist and racist live here.

Sorted.

11. gosub

gosub ~#

I was going to go with Enoch Powell MP. Champion of the mentally ill.

12. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

He's a weird one, an absolute shit contrasted with insisting that the government shouldn't feel able to act differently in Africa than it would in the UK and his attitudes that mental health needed more funding and a better model than chucking people in dark and horrible asylums (which in the present day government policy has sadly have been replaced by ignoring people until they go away and occasionally saying "oh I'm sorry")

Still a cunt.

HoratioCuthbert and Yossarian like this.
  13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Cyril Smith's blue plaque was taken down to "prevent vandalism," seems likely that a Powell plaque would go the same way.

Bingo likes this.
  14. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Yep, some parts of his record are impressive - but it's saying things like "it's not impossible but it's difficult, for a non-white person to be British" that he will be most remembered for, nobody's ever referring to mental health reform or speaking out against the massacre of Mau Mau suspects when they say "Enoch was right."

15. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

It's a shame he didn't remain as an outstanding classics scholar (double starred first in Latin and Greek) linguist, poet, author and soldier and stayed out of politics altogether.

16. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

The return of Paul Stott

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Only found out recently that Sharon Osbourne is Don Arden's daughter

18. Pickman's model

that's dr paul stott to you, sunshine

The39thStep likes this.
  19. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I think she took out an injunction and you're legally required to say "Don Arden's estranged daughter". ;)

20. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I’m not down with sanitising history.

21. gosub

gosub ~#

Possibly not the best place for Santayana quote since it was drawing parallels between the end of the Roman Empire and the British that got Powell in the dwang.

22. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I agree with everything else you say but he also did much to make wanting less immigration much *less* respectable by forever associating it with race.

Post Powell anyone who, like me, wants lower net migration has run the risk of being branded racist.

instape and MadeInBedlam like this.
  23. Gromit

I want higher net migration.
    It’s a symptom and necessity of prosperity and growth. Give us more and more and more.
    God helps us if migration starts to dwindle.

I won’t brand you as racist. I will brand you as a moron who doesn’t understand economics and has swallowed the tabloid shifting of woes from the government onto immigrants. The handy scapegoat.

24. sir.clip

sir.clip Well-Known Member

Why is it important to have these plaques anyhow, its straight up weird?

25. Pickman's model

no, no it isn't

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  26. sir.clip

Isnt Weird ? or isnt important ?

I dont get it. its like every one who dosent have a plaque is not important?

27. Horus Snacks

Horus Snacks Banned Banned

Just stop giving out plaques then.

If you can't help but award utter scumbags....

Or maybe they meant plagues

28. Gromit

You are basically asking why is history important.

I’ve walked past where Ghandi lived in London and was oh cool I didn’t know Ghandi lived here. I then looked up why he lived there and learnt something about history.

There are many ways history knowledge can be stimulated and gathered outside of a classroom.

Like the movie U571 where we learn it wasn’t the British who captured an enigma machine after all but seemingly the valiant Americans.

A380 likes this.
  29. Pickman's model

it's neither weird nor unimportant. and there are a range of bodies which have erected plaques, e.g. the auld london county council used to - for example, the plaque to andrew marvell on highgate hill - councils have, such as hackney's brown plaques, and other bodies have too, like the comedians lot who put a plaque on peter sellers' childhood home on muswell hill road. obviously not everyone will be remembered by a plaque, but that's life.

30. sir.clip

Yah its stupid. its very stupid. its not denying history. history exists blue plaque or not.

Why is it 'Cool' to know where Ghandi lived, more so than any other person who lived in the same house?
    Its not history its just showing off.