Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

english folk music recommendations

rutabowa

LOSE IT
i just found a book on english folk guitar and got a bit interested in it, i would like some recommendation of things to listen to. I don't really want folk rock type stuff; the older and bleaker/stranger the better. I don't know did folk music in england just always carry on, or did it die out completely and then had revivalists bring it back?

i would also be interested in recommendations of song books.

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
It was worth listening to. He showed a very eclectic taste in his choices and the programme was a real pleasure.
Seemed like a lovely bloke too.

I'd recommend Eliza Carthy also - not old, but she certainly has some bleak/odd moments. Her version of Just as the Tide was Flowing is one of my favourite pieces of music of the last decade or so.

peterkro

Greasin' on American Express card.
Fuck me, I thought the name Alistair Hulett rang a bell,I was involved in the folk revival in NZ (not as a musician) and knew him quite well from Christchurch and the Monde Marie in Wellington.He was extremely good looking guy and had a younger sister who was stunning,I had no idea about his later musical and political life and of the people who were around at the time wouldn't have picked him as a committed politico.When drunk and someone farts it is my habit to burst into:
Who farted?
Wee Annie,
Do it again,
No I cannae,
God bless your wee bum.
He taught me that,it's a Glasgow street song.Very pleasant guy and talented.We both must have moved to Oz around the same time and I never heard of him again.

ice-is-forming

Phill Beer, i think he started off playing with Paul Downes (Downes & Beer) and he used to play with Arizona smoke review and now is half of Show of hands

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
Do you really mean just English, or British, by the way?

Seems a shame to exclude the rest of the British Isles, when so many of those we've named already have loads of Celtic stuff in their repetoire anyway.

kittyP

schmeeer
Pilgrims Way
Won folk on 2 award last year. Not that bleak but reasonably traditional in musical style.

If we are talking British not just English then I bloody love The Battlefield Band. Scottish. The Yew Tree and The Rovin Dies Hard are my favourite tracks.

I sung them (badly) with my dad at parents 40th wedding anniversary party :oops:

I love traditional British folk and the bleaker the better in my humble opinion.

Kate Rusby has a few bleak tracks but can't remember names.

Subscribes.

kittyP

schmeeer
rutabowa said:
I don't know did folk music in england just always carry on, or did it die out completely and then had revivalists bring it back
It's always been there bubbling away. ;)

I was brought up on, imho a healthy bed of trad folk and rock music :)

kittyP

schmeeer
Also if you pick apart more established folk bands like say Steel Eye Span and look at individual members, past and present, and look at their solo stuff you find more trad stuff. Iyswim.?

Stigmata

sexual tyrannosaurus
Seemed like a lovely bloke too.

I'd recommend Eliza Carthy also - not old, but she certainly has some bleak/odd moments. Her version of Just as the Tide was Flowing is one of my favourite pieces of music of the last decade or so.
Some of her Silly Sisters stuff was great, I thought.

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
Fuck me, I thought the name Alistair Hulett rang a bell,I was involved in the folk revival in NZ (not as a musician) and knew him quite well from Christchurch and the Monde Marie in Wellington.He was extremely good looking guy and had a younger sister who was stunning,I had no idea about his later musical and political life and of the people who were around at the time wouldn't have picked him as a committed politico.When drunk and someone farts it is my habit to burst into:
Who farted?
Wee Annie,
Do it again,
No I cannae,
God bless your wee bum.
He taught me that,it's a Glasgow street song.Very pleasant guy and talented.We both must have moved to Oz around the same time and I never heard of him again.
I only recently came across him myself, when butch posted his version of the internacionale - its certainly the best version I've heard. The roaring jack stuff is quite splendid too...

Sirena

Don't monkey with the buzzsaw
The Copper family of Rottingdean. A family with a genuine tradition of passing songs down through the generations.

Pick a locality and go through all the local folk songs of that place. Tyneside is a good place to start and the High Level Ranters have done every Geordie traditional folk song. Songs like 'The Waters of Tyne' and Alex Glasgow's 'When The Boat Comes In' and even Kathleen Ferrier's 'Blow The Wind Southerly'. The Unthanks are modern Northumberland music.

Lau is the modern face of Scottish traditional music: often quite abstract musical structures but done in a purely traditional style.

Most stuff on Reveal Records....