England vs Croatia

Discussion in 'football' started by Obnoxiousness, Sep 7, 2009.

?

So what do you think will happen on Wednesday?

1. Easy England win?

31.6%
  2. Easy Croatia win?

1.8%
  3. Draw?

5.3%
  4. England scrapes a win?

54.4%
  5. Croatia scrapes a win?

7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

What are the chances of croatia qualifying now ?

I would like them to go through but it means we have to beat or draw with Ukraine and they have to win their final match .Hopefully England will be out to win all their games and not coast the last 2 .

2. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

Yeah I'd love to see England get a 100% record. Just cos we've never done it before.

3. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

I would not mind a 9 wins and 1 draw as long as it means croatia get through . I like the croatians .

4. upsidedownwalrus

Yeah tbh would be nice to get grouped with them again. There have been some great matches between the two. The 4-2 in Euro 2004 was one of our best big tournament performances that I can remember.

5. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Did'nt they get a 100% record in qualifing for Euro 1988? we all know how that finals turned out:p

6. upsidedownwalrus

No.

7. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

It's logical that Capello's England will equal or surpass the progress they made with Sven in the tournament.

So I think we can expect to make the semi-finals. If we are lucky England may go further.

Not only is their form good, there is also some depth in the squad. We have lots of mid-fielders and a good plan B for strikers. It's all positive stuff and the doubters are just protecting themselves psychologically against disappointment.

Disappointment isn't worth suppressing the enjoyment of optimism. Let's just enjoy the footy and don't worry too much who ends up with the cup. :)

8. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

These are exactly my thoughts, thanks for that post.:) Very well said.

9. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Your right they drew 0-0 away to Turkey

10. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

England is blates winning the WC now. Everyone else may as well not bother.

11. TrippyLondoner

As urb said 'lets not worry about who ends up with the cup and enjoy the football'

12. Corax

It's even more enjoyable when you know that England are nailed on to win it. :)

13. upsidedownwalrus

Yeah I just want to see England go there and actually play with some expression and as a team. Instead of tearing my hair out like usual...

14. TrippyLondoner

You're the one saying it, not me.:p

15. Corax

Maybe that's because I'm patriotic, and you ain't. :rolleyes:

16. TrippyLondoner

Ofcourse! that's it!

17. Corax

Commie.

18. TrippyLondoner

Damn you n your insults!

19. Corax

pwned, bitch.

20. TrippyLondoner

21. shoylins

shoylins New Member

What form? Against Andorra, Belarus, Kazakhstan or Ukraine, oh yeah big teams I forgot.

Against real opposition this year they have so far been beaten by Spain and could only get a draw against the Dutch. So if thats the form they take into SA then hey maybe you are right maybe they do have every chance.......of being ousted before the Quarts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely (ignoring any sour grapes Portugal in 2006) you are not denying he is one of the best players in the world?

22. TrippyLondoner

The comeback v holland was pretty impressive and was just a friendly anyway, which was right before the prem season and away to. So if you're basing your views on that then you're equally as much of an idiot as you're claiming we all are for being optimistic. And you conveniently left out our impressive results v croatia. Did you forget the 4-1 and 5-1 already? Oh let me guess, cause england did it it doesn't matter, but if spain did that then THEY'RE THE BEST IN THE WORLD! YEAH!.

23. upsidedownwalrus

We were the first team to win in Berlin for about 33 years as well. That's been conveniently forgotten...

The Spain game was pretty much a second team...

But again, therein lies the rub. If people get injured, we've no chance, IMO.

24. TrippyLondoner

I think we've got more depth than most countries(note: i said most, not all), and i think capello has the tactical know how to deal with that problem if it comes. I was never confident in sven being able to deal with it, cause all he did was rely on big names.

25. upsidedownwalrus

Yeah. But please, please, please, please, if there is someone up there in the sky, can we have a world cup where we don't have to agonise over meta fucking tarsals for the couple of months beforehand?

Let someone else have to endure it.

Cheers.

26. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

I was just watching Brazil play... and noticed that their left and right back defenders seem to always flow forward into attack.

England seem to be doing this very effectively using Glen Johnson and Ashley Cole. Almost to the point that these two players are secondary wingers with some goal scoring ability.

I think this gives England an extra dangerous dimension that wasn't there before.

The right wing having Johnson and Lennon working together would be a bloody nightmare to defend against.

The left wing with Ashley Cole plus Gerrard, Joe Cole or even Milner could be equally effective.

Lots of options.... I honestly cannot remember England being so genuinely capable.

27. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

But it helps if your full backs can actually defend, which is Johnson's weakness.

28. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

For as long as I can remember England have played like this with the fullbacks overlapping.

It has it's risks though, an on-form Ashley Cole is fine but I still have my doubts about Glenn Johnstone. Then again what are the alternatives? Wes Brown when fit I guess, but he won't give you half as much going forward.

29. Flashman

Flashman wtf did I do?

Micah Richards and Wayne Bridge.

30. upsidedownwalrus

Don't we say this in the few months before every tournament though?

I remember in 2002, being in Thailand in about January and every British person I spoke to was convinced we would win. Some of them were planning to go back to Thailand for the summer so they could watch the games in a sunny bar at the correct time rather than watch half a match then go to work...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.