England vs Croatia

Discussion in 'football' started by Obnoxiousness, Sep 7, 2009.

?

So what do you think will happen on Wednesday?

1. Easy England win?

31.6%
  2. Easy Croatia win?

1.8%
  3. Draw?

5.3%
  4. England scrapes a win?

54.4%
  5. Croatia scrapes a win?

7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

LUV IT

2. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

Were it not for the assorted bitters, I wouldn't be that arsed, well it would be great anyway, but it's just to shut the lot of them up that I pray each and every time that we can rise above our usual level which is somewhere between just scraping qualification and possibly getting to the quarters, and actually win the bugger.

3. upsidedownwalrus

Yes. Mind you, Trinidad did give it quite a good go in that match...

4. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Oops, missed that bit.

Cameroon (1990) are considered a major power aren't they? :D

5. upsidedownwalrus

:D

I would include the former WC winners, plus Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands as being the major powers...

6. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

portugal might not even make it!

dave

7. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Might give Ronaldo a chance to top up his tan on some beach next summer :D

8. upsidedownwalrus

Yeah they're a bit of a weird team really aren't they... But had some impressive performances over the years considering the size of the nation...

9. kained&able

and despite never having a striker that i rate.

dave

10. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

If it will make you unhappy, then that's a further reason to yearn for England to win it. :)

11. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

There'll be a lot of hype during the tournament itself, no doubt, but apart from an imbecilic headline in The Sun (what a surprise :rolleyes:) I was actually pleasantly surprised by the rather calm way in which the press have treated qualification. Four years ago, the press would have been proclaiming the second coming, if one can use those words safely in relation to a team managed by Sven.

I think Capello may have achieved the impossible and may have succeeded in taming the press a bit. Certainly, his announcement that he is not going to allow any of the nonsensical distractions caused by the WAGS next summer is very welcome.

12. strung out

strung out (",)

eusebio was decent

13. kained&able

okay not having a striker i rate since i was born then.:mad:

dave

14. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

I like the way Capello dos'nt give a shit about the medja,dos'nt make much effort to court them,dos'nt want to be their bessie mate.

15. upsidedownwalrus

16. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

And it all came true! :eek:

You are Derren Brown and I claim my £5.

17. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

Uruguay?

18. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Watching the game with croatian commentators made it much more enjoyable .

they filmed the build up and post game bits in front of a studio audience who were the best behgaved football fans I have ever seen . They were also the most miserable football fans after the game. I was secretly hoping croatia would win then we could get the 3 points we need from another game so croatia at least finish ahead of Ukraine but I guess that wont happen now !

19. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

Yeh, I watched it on a Croatian channel -- love that commentator whose voice sounds busted by a 60 fags a day :D Pretty decent commentating duo they have, and fairly philosophical about the whole thing. Beats Tyldesley any day of the week.

20. upsidedownwalrus

Wow, can you speak Croatian? :cool:

21. Dirty Martini

Dirty Martini gets what he cant want

I get most of the football commentary, via a knowledge of Slovene :cool:

A lot of people here in Slovenia use the Croatian commentary in preference to the Slovene for CL matches, etc. Slovene commentators are universally awful -- I've seen them miss goals because they've just HAD to finish their pre-prepared set of statistics on a player's career. And they NEVER shut up :D The Croats at least show an understanding of tactics and the like. Not interested in how tall David Beckham is, or his sister's name.

22. upsidedownwalrus

Ah right. I hadn't realised they were so similar. Anyway, Slovenia looks like a proper beautiful country, so you're dead lucky :cool:

23. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

Brazil: played 16, won 9, drew 6, lost 1, GF 32, GA 9, Points = 33

Germany: played 8, won 7, drew 1, lost 0, GF 24, GA 4, Points = 22

England: played 8, won 8, drew 0, lost 0, GF 31, GA 5, Points = 24

Spain: played 8, won 8, drew 0, lost 0, GF 21, GA 2, Points = 24

Holland: played 8, won 8, drew 0, lost 0, GF 17, GA 2, Points = 24

Spain: played 8, won 8, drew 0, lost 0, GF 21, GA 2, Points = 24

Italy: played 8, won 6, drew 2, lost 0, GF 13, GA 3, Points = 20

Russia: played 8, won 7, drew 1, lost 0, GF 18, GA 4, Points = 21

[​IMG]

We've always had a reasonable set of tools, but we've never had a good craftsman to wield them.

If England were capable of making semi-finals under a crap manager... then I'm sure they can at least do it again under Capello. :)

24. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Psychogeographer

Yes, the millionaire superstars need someone who they are scared shitless of.

A manager being their best mate (e.g. McLaren, Keegan) clearly doesn't work.

I'm sure Ferguson would be a good England manager, apart from the obvious problem :D

25. shoylins

shoylins New Member

England aint gonna win it thats for sure, but that wont stop the media bullshit from now until they get knocked out in SA.

Anyway imagine the prospect of a World cup without two of the best players in the world, Messi and Ronaldo of course!!!

26. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

Suspicious that you don't know what you're talking about... They have every chance on present form and with time to improve further.

Confirms above suspicions (on at least the Ronaldo count)

27. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

On Telly Tonight..

BBC1, 2010 World Cup preview - except for viewers in Scotland and Wales, who will be shown the film 'Out of Africa'.

28. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

lol, class

29. upsidedownwalrus

30. upsidedownwalrus

Yup. Of course, it will probably be semi final heartbreak, but I can't see Capello failing to take us at least as far as Sven did three times, injuries notwithstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.