England vs Croatia

Discussion in 'football' started by Obnoxiousness, Sep 7, 2009.

?

So what do you think will happen on Wednesday?

1. Easy England win?

31.6%
  2. Easy Croatia win?

1.8%
  3. Draw?

5.3%
  4. England scrapes a win?

54.4%
  5. Croatia scrapes a win?

7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

:cool:

2. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Instinctively pessimistic poster here ...

I refuse to even think about SA next summer yet. Or at least not until after the group draw on 4 December.

We need to see how Capello does with his experimentations in the 2 remaining 'qualifying' games, and against Brazil -- a game which will probably bring a few of the more optimistic of us down to earth.

And as upsidesownwalrus says, a lot hangs on which of England's players get injured in the Prem before next summer .... :eek: :(

(Delighted about last night, obv. :cool: )

3. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

You must have quickly forgotten the one for 2006 which included Wales, NI, Azerbaijan, Poland and Austria, but which England made considerably heavier work of.

4. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Thats the big thing. If England were good enough to win the World Cup the pity is the "Best Domestic League in the World © Richard Keyes" would have knackered and injured a chunk of their best players anyway.

No way to get around that though. Well there is, but it won't happen.

5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Shall we start a book now on which England star is gonna get injured this season with a broken metatarsal?

6. upsidedownwalrus

:(

7. TrippyLondoner

Gonna guess Upson :p

8. Harold Hill

Harold Hill Jay Emm forgot his p/word

Next it will be 'England get carried away thinking they've won it already' when the reality is that everyone is just saying the above.

9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Well... what kind of major tournament would it be if we werent subjected to a Sun Campaign to get Rooney/Lampard/Gerrard or whoever it is fit by the date of the first match? Cue endless photos of them wakling around on crutches, bouncing on little trampolines on one foot, cut out and keep images of the 'injured foot' to pray for speedy-healing-of.. etc.

:D

10. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Yep. Although the media frenzy is going to be unbearable between now and next June.

11. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

easy to say in hindsight that it was an easy group. But back when it started Croatia were ranked 13th in the World, were within seconds of being the semi-finalists in Euro 2008, having won their group with 3 wins out of 3 (including beating Germany) and arguably were favourites to win the group. Ukraine are also a good side, having got as far as England did in the last W/C and unfortunately stumbled across an evil Euro 2008 qualifying group (the one with France and Italy in it). There also definitely easier things to do than travelling to Kazakhstan and Georgia.

12. upsidedownwalrus

Georgia? Belarus don't you mean? :hmm:

13. TrippyLondoner

I remember fearing croatia before the two games we played them, and everyone in the country was to. Funny how that gets forgotten when we do well and now the group is 'too easy' in the critics eyes.

14. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

No need for that kind of talk... yet ;)

15. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Indeed - the anti-england posse are getting pretty desperate.

Last nights match and Englands record in qualifying are very impressive however you slice it.

Yes we are going to have to endure 9 months of ill-informed, jingoistic and fatuous hysteria, but the fact remains that England look a better proposition going into a major tournament than at anytime since Euro 96 or Italia 90.

Unless Rooney gets crocked - :(

16. Lo Siento.

that´s the thing, my theory about major tournaments is that the winners will come from the big teams that manage the following (a) have a competent coach (b) avoid injuries to any of their 3 best players and (c) win at least one penalty shoot-out

17. upsidedownwalrus

Capello certainly seems to have changed the timid mindset of the team.

It's quite incredible that back when we were failing to qualify for Euro 2008, he said on Italian TV something like, no way should england be failing to even qualify with the players they have, it's clear the main problem they have is fear, and that's the first thing any manager should do to make England play well. It was like he knew he could only impress, and he has got rid of that mindset of fear to some extent, but can he take that into a tournament win us a knockout game against a really major power, of which I think we have only won one ever other than in 66, and that was a rather flukey win over Spain...

18. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

A big old slice of luck wouldn't go amiss either. It's not always the best team that wins a major tournament.

19. embree

embree Well-Known Member

The main thing he's done is surely stop them from giving the ball away willy nilly

The one thing that sees Italian football dissed as 'boring' by people who prefer the English gung ho approach

20. upsidedownwalrus

I dunno about that. You make your own luck. We too often blame silly events like that disallowed goal in 2004, etc...

21. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Holland?

The players clearly love playing for Capello. He is getting them to play to their full potential, something that previous managers just didn't seem able to do.

22. TrippyLondoner

Capello's actually combined the english/italian approach it seems.

23. TheDave

TheDave A man of constant sorrow

This is probably the key thing that I love that Capello has done, England seem confident to just pass it across the back four till a forward pass is on rather than in the past just hoofing it up field as it was in the past.

24. Lo Siento.

you say that, but if you look back over the years and the winners can point to a load of occasions where a freak occurrence got them back into the tournament. Like Ronaldinho´s lob in Japorea for instance.

25. upsidedownwalrus

Knockout games...

26. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

I'm not a football expert, but even I can see the vast difference in the way England are playing.

England always used to scrape through, by luck or by some fleeting individual talent. Never by good teamwork. England performances three years ago were chaotic, nail-biting dramas.

Let me illustrate my point... :)

World Cup 2006 England vs Trinidad and Tobago

After watching the highlights of that match, compare it to what happened last night against far superior opposition.

27. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Was a pretty handy group though,Croatia seem to be a pale shadow of the team they were 2 yrs ago.Winning the group hinged on the England-Croatia matches,losing 4-1 in Zagreb basicially knocked the stuffing out of them that result set the course of the group,the other half decent team in the group Ukraine might have given you a few problems with Shevchenko and Rebrov in their prime but them days are gone.

28. deadringer

deadringer meat pie sausage roll

you mean the media and knob head fans havent shut up. think you'll find 95% of the population are fairly realistic about our position in world football.

still, dont let that get in the way of a good generalisation eh :rolleyes:

29. StanSmith

StanSmith Three Lions on my shirt

You dread it? Well I would love it!!!!

30. the button

the button out on the kocker

Saw a young lad in a Croatia shirt clutching a can of Carling, staggering about on the wrong platform to get to Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line this morning. We had a conversation along the following lines: -

Him: Here to Heathrow, yes?
    Me: (shakes head vigourously) No. You go there. (points to opposite platform)

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.