1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England under 20`s reach world cup final

Discussion in 'football' started by passenger, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

He's better IMO. He has everything that Onomah has in terms of winning and retaining possession, plus he has a killer eye for a through ball and a fantastic passing range. He can shoot n'all.

As you can probably tell, I'm something of a fan lol. I genuinely think he's going to be a star though. I've described him as Scholes 2.0 before.

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I hope he doesn't win possession in Scholes' style!

Corax likes this.
  3. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

4. passenger

passenger up and down...

Done us proud, great match, the first thing I have seen on Eurosport worth watching :cool:

Badgers and Maltin like this.
  5. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Seems a bit odd that England win a football competition and the BBC haven't reported on it yet.

ETA They do have something - a breaking news square at the bottom of the page. They didn't even list the game in their football fixtures earlier.

Ponyutd and passenger like this.
  6. honkeymonkey

honkeymonkey New Member

Actually this is pretty a big deal. Because they are future of England team. Well not all of them but at least they've got the potential ability. It's gotta be spotlighted.

7. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

I ageee that it should be. From the look of the thread, the lack of a separate one on the u19 tournament and the BBC's lack of reporting, it doesn't seem that many people care though :(

8. Corax

My based-on-fuck-all feeling is that it'll be not many of them at all. My impression over the years is that very few who have banged it at this level have gone on to be more than journeyman players.

Is this actually true? Like I say, it's just my impression which may well be bullshit.

If so... There are questions about why that may be of course. I've read many articles by ex-players and coaches about how the English players get rewarded for physicality over technique for instance.

Anyway - I hope for change. I want Marcus Edwards to single-handedly spank the crap out of a combined Brazil-Germany XI for starters.

9. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

To busy , as is the Guardian, on either transfer rumour or news about Man Utd

Ponyutd likes this.
  10. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Yes, the majority (as with all footballers) are likely to not have glittering careers but the last English champions in 1993 featured Nicky Butt, Sol Campbell, Robbie Fowler, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes so hopefully some of the current youngsters can emulate their success at club level, if not do well at country level in the future too.

The forgotten story of… England's class of '93 | Rob Smyth

11. Corax

Well, four out of those five weren't a total cunt, which is good odds.

And one of them was Paul Scholes.

Paul. Fucking. Scholes.

:cool:

Or the beta version of Harry Winks, as he will be known by future generations.

Badgers likes this.
  12. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Fez909, The39thStep and Badgers like this.
  13. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

passenger likes this.
  14. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

On the red button now, they all look so bloody young!

15. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Ahem, maybe because they’re under 17? ;)

16. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

17. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Not seen this lot yet but any world semi has to be a big achievement. Watching now

18. Corax

In light of his recent showing for the full England side, I'd like to take this opportunity to bask in my own brilliance. :D

belboid likes this.
  19. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

I'll wait and see with Winks. Plenty young players impress early on then fall away.

20. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

that's no excuse!

21. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Goal!

22. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Terrific patience round the box from the nippers

23. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Lucky little shits. The world at their feet, literally in this case.

24. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Quite a few won't make it as top level players I guess, but most will make a living out of football. Don't know the retention rates tbh.

25. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

I like the incongruity of Brazil having a player called Alan.

26. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Looked at England's squad from ten years ago and there are a couple of notable players in there - Wellbeck, Danny Rose and Victor Moses

27. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

From the squad in 2011 Stirling and Redmond are now full international players

28. Corax

Difference being, IMO, that with Winks he's not impressing with tricks, strength, speed, pace or similar - although he has each of those to a respectable degree - what he's got is composure, positioning, and an ability to read the game with the range of passing to match. These are things that generally come with many more years than he has behind him. The other stuff can be trained/coached into a player more easily, this stuff not so much.

29. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Own up, he's your nephew.

S☼I likes this.
  30. S☼I

S☼I Cats Bumino

Oh, don't get me wrong, he looks a player. Just hard to know yet if he's going to become a Deco, a Wilshire, or a Michael Johnson.