England fans-do you sing "Rule Britannia" and "God Save the Queen" at internationals?

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

Gildas a big one.

2. ernestolynch

Did you mean to post this to your pals on Stormfront you freak?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From the BBC:

4. ernestolynch

This is denied by the white nationalists on Krautfront as it puts a kybosh on their twisted theories. Mainstream UK unionists hate it too.

5. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Yeah but using sources like Gildas as primary, is very difficult, and perhaps impossible. He was writing religious polemics, rather than history.

You can glean maps like this from his work:

[​IMG]

But notions of an area being 'briton' or 'anglian' etc will have meant something different back then. They are likely to have reflected the family and kinship of the leaders and rulers of the areas. There is no evidence that all the peasants in those areas upped sticks and moved. Chances are they had to tolerate their new bosses the same as they did their old ones.

6. tbaldwin

tbaldwin the experts are morons R.I.P.

All that is irrelevant anyway. As far as most proper english people are concerned northerners are not really english. Its surely some kind of geological mistake that they are attached to us in anyway. Lets face it proper english people are all sophisticated and never feel the need to brighten up their sex lives with ferrets! They are every bit as foreign as the welsh or chinese but just cant admit it.

7. ernestolynch

'chances are' vs evidence of literary, genetic, dna, legendary, linguistic, placename, surname, archaeological, and the histories of victors and vanquished.

8. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

And I thought I posted some shit from time to time...

9. tbaldwin

tbaldwin the experts are morons R.I.P.

Probably through your own letter box if your from the west country or whatever it is they call dumnomia these days.

10. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The dna history of these islands is still in it's infancy. There's been a couple of early attempts, but nothing conclusive so far. And archaeological evidence is likewise open to interpretation. These are the two areas of most interest.

The linguistic stuff, and the legends and histories weren't enough to give us the full picture when they were written, and hence still aren't.

What you are doing (and always used to do) is claim that there are two sides to this debate. And any evidence that doesn't support your belief in your particular celtic/saxon fantasy world that may or may not have existed, is Stormfront propaganda. When historical analysis is not about sides. It is just a systematic review of the evidence, and an understanding about the limits of that evidence.

Anyway - we've done this to death many years ago.

11. UTJF

UTJF Well-Known Member

What a depressing thread :(

12. Jonti

Jonti what the dormouse said

It is isn't it :D

Two points:
    • it doesn't matter
    • the dna doesn't lie
    But yeah, much crunchiness. I'll risk all, and start a thread in science, or philosophy, sometime. Meanwhile, sorry for the derail, and back to the football.

Football! You sad fucks.

13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The dna may not lie, but the research you are citing is not a watertight case. It is looking a particular bit of dna evidence and extrapolating from that. It's a valuable bit of research, but not done and dusted.

14. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

:D :p

Spot on :cool:

But what of this alternative suggestion from earlier? :confused:

There's words for the Archers theme? What they then?

15. William of Walworth

I'm going to have a fine old time :rolleyes: between June 11 and July 11, living as I do in Swansea now :oops:

** Over a week of that time will be at Glastonbury mind :cool:

Thing is, I always support Wales in the rugby, and always did before moving here too, including against those public school twats (England rugby). That won't help me when I get to the WC though.

But how the hell can I support England in the football, in Wales? I'll either have to go to a very studenty area, or to Bristol, if I want to go to the pub for televised games .... :confused:

PS I'd never sing GSTQ or RB on the grounds that they're both imperialistic, and shite. Land of Hope and Glory at a push. More likely 'Ingerlund' or 'Rooooney!' ..... after sufficient beer anyway ....

16. William of Walworth

And as for England v Wales in the upcoming Euro qualifiers prior to 2012 -- definitely a trip to Bristol needed there, methinks..... :eek:

ETA : OK maybe Cardiff for my first ever live England match, albeit with Wales at home and me in the away end at the Millennium :hmm: :confused: , and Bristol for when England are at Wembley.

17. Jonti

Jonti what the dormouse said

I'm particularly interested that Irish legend talks of six cycles of invasion coming from the Mediterranean via Spain, during the late Neolithic to bronze age.

The very word "Celts" and "Celtic" are ambiguous. I think of the language and the people who brought it as arriving in this corner of Europe during the Neolithic period. The Celtic languages and culture were here as stone gave way to metal. Others think it was an iron age thing, that the technology of metal working was well established before there were any "Celts".

Semantics like this have to be sorted, before any sensible discussion can even begin.

18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Thankfully they have a new song now

friedaweed and Pickman's model like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They'll still be singing the same dirge tonight.

*shudder

20. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Durdle?

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Show me the way to go home?

cupid_stunt, Spymaster and Badgers like this.
  23. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Bit like the welsh

No tbf they do have lovely voices

24. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

:confused: how "bit like the Welsh" ??

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I really don't care for anthems, royal families or pomp and ceremony. However it is a bleak minute or two to ignore and then we have a match to watch.

Really not a big deal

krtek a houby and tommers like this.
  26. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

You bumped this horror of a thread!

Badgers likes this.
  27. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Voices are a bit girly - high
    And gems such as "Taffy aggro" and various others ive heard down the years, will not mention them
    as some get a bit upset.
    Anyway i am happy today, my local team are on the verge of signing a new player
    A welsh International infact.

Badgers likes this.
  28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I will bump you in a minute

cupid_stunt and tommers like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please explain what Wales has to do with this. Thanks. I'm a British citizen. I think I'm entitled to comment on the nature of the national anthem.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're sounding like big twat now with this xenophobic nonsense. Kindly desist.