England fans-do you sing "Rule Britannia" and "God Save the Queen" at internationals?

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Mar 11, 2010.

1. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

lol the idea of me as a liberal is brilliant.

i was more talking about your played out liberal baiting, you're behind the times, you need a new angle.

2. revol68

don't act coy you brought up this fact not as some sort of neutral and random piece of information but to make fun of english fans singing God Save the Queen and other 'British' anthems because they weren't the original 'britons'. That implies that 'Britishness' is legitimised on race and blood lines rather than on a civic basis.

The links you provide only serve to underline this btw, you utter muppet.

3. revol68

so am i a liberal or a loyalist?

4. revol68

and in all seriousness the welsh are shit, just england's passive aggressive lil bitches, the middle child to the Scots and Irish.

5. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

You've not changed, I'm glad.

6. Clint Iguana

Clint Iguana not an undercover cop

Now who is making sweeping (racist) generalisations?

We all know you have no ties with your own locality, preferring to support a football team based on success, rather than geographical and emotional ties.

Perhaps your not supporting a local team and your time spent on the net can be explained by everyone you meet in real life taking a dislike to you.

7. Jonti

Jonti what the dormouse said

The research cited by editor is circa 2002; it was a very small study compared to Oppenheimer's massive and definitive work which is summarised in his 2006 book "The Origins of the British ~ A Genetic Detective Story".

Oppenheimer found that the genetic evidence does not support the "Anglo-Saxon genocide of the native Brits" theory, nor even remotely. There was not a massive influx of people in Anglo-Saxon times that drove the then inhabitants of England into the hills. On the contrary, about 75% of the English bloodstock derives from the original settlements into Britain after the last ice age. The remaining 25% is largely germanic, true, but most of this 25% had arrived across the North Sea long before the much mythologised Anglo-Saxon incursions of the Dark Ages.

Of course, none of this should matter. Unfortunately "origin myths" do have resonance, and political influence too. So, even though they are, strictly, irrelevant, it's as well to know the facts of the matter.

8. revol68

Of course it's a sweeping generalisation you pillock, how else could you hope to comment on nationalities.:rolleyes:

anyway my lack of identification with my own locality, nation wah wah might stem from the fact it's defined by reactionary cunts. I have no allegiance to Northern Ireland football team beyond wishing them well from a suitable distance (likewise the Republic) because I don't want to be surrounded by a lot of idiots, many of whom I went to school with and know to be biggoted fucks.

as a kid I used to follow my local town's club but stop going when I hit my teens cos I got into music and would have took shit for either being a 'hippy' or a 'taig'. I'd be a liar if I said that's what stops me going to see them now mind, that honour belongs to the fact I don't fancy travelling for an hour and paying 8 quid to watch them in the Irish Leagues second division.

so yeah I fucking loath provincial shite and I loathe all nationalisms, even if I do think Welsh nationalism is the most pathetic of all the 'home nations'.

9. Clint Iguana

So i am right, everyone in your home town knows you are a knob and you are only interested in glory hunting

10. ernestolynch

Armchair unionist as well as armchair football fan.

11. revol68

considering the vast majority of people in my home town support an english club I don't think that is at all an issue.:rolleyes:

if you had any clue you might understand that there are some rather peculiar factors in Northern Ireland that have played a role in dimminishing crowds and I'm not just talking about the shit that is offered up under the pretense of 'football'.

But hey continue with your idiotic and childish notion, you utter clown.

12. revol68

please explain how any of what I posted equates to Unionism?:facepalm:

especially since it was the Unionist/Loyalist sentiments of both my local club and national side that turnt me off them.

13. ernestolynch

It comes to something when the dwindling local unionist clowns won't even take you. You're like those pathetic sharks from Viz

14. revol68

so behind your unfunny attempt to save face what you're saying is that no there is no reason to think I am a unionist/loyalist.

aren't you meant to be responsible for educating young minds?

broken britain, indeed.

15. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

I noticed they sang O Canada twice at the Paralympic opening tonight. First time, a blind guy was the soloist. The second time was some sort of group effort. The Vice Regal anthem was some sort of blend of God Save the Queen and O Canada. I don't know if people sang along.

During the Olympics, O Canada got sung on the streets a lot. Often it would be some drunk girl on someone's shoulders, singing off key, but then the whole street would join in. I know I did a few times, singing loud. It felt good.

16. revol68

the welsh might have a petty passive agressive nationalism, but atleast they don't have one of the worst national anthems ever.

i mean ffs 'O Canada' it's just plain retarded.

still nothing like a genocidal sing a long.

17. Johnny Canuck3

It's not a great song. So many other countries have really good anthems, really nice music. Japan, France, Russia etc.

But it's all we have, and we can fucking belt it out. :)

18. ernestolynch

You really, really need to start courting some nice lassie. Do you the world of good.

19. revol68

it might be a shite genocidal anthem but by heck it's your genocidal anthem.

20. revol68

being seeing one for near two years, can't say it's changed my mind on nationalism or the dumb flag scum that embrace it.

21. Johnny Canuck3

I think during the olympics, we realized we were singing to and with each other, and fuck anyone who doesn't understand. :)

22. Clint Iguana

I am well aware that lots of people all over the world support Manure PLC and i am sure in my home town there will be lots of people that support premiership clubs rather than cardiff city. I am also aware that Northern Ireland has a rather unique history.

However, these facts are not the basis of me coming to the conclusion that you are a knob, no that conclusion is based on the fact that just about every post i have ever read by you is full of bile, hatred and cheap insults - and not very clever insults at that. You perpetuate the stereo type of the irish - never at peace unless you are fighting

It would not be so bad if you stuck to posting on threads where you had some inteligent contribution to make (granted, that would limit you somewhat) but you seem to turn up everywhere like some kind of uber troll with a planet sized chip on your shoulder, talking crap and contamiating this site in the same way irish pubs contaminate the real world.

23. ernestolynch

I like it anyway Johnny. He's just a wee bit grumpy this morning. He's going to have an Ulster fry, then go and get his haircut and some nice new togs in TopMan, then take a girl to the pictures this evening, followed by some food in TGIs, and he's going to say nice things to her.

24. revol68

i see alot of words there but none seem to address my point.

i've supported man united since 1987 and make no apologies for doing so, nor would anyone else I know who grew up supporting English sides, afterall football is about your enjoyment not about being an immature wanker who uses it as a splint to support their fragile sense of identity. Still I can see why it grates seeing a load of paddies across the sea getting pleasure out of watching fantastic football and taking joy in it's success, especially when you are forced to support a welsh team who play in their masters league.

25. revol68

was at the cinema last night, got a hair cut last week (from the girlfriend) and might get a fry this morning, then I'm going to play Final Fantasy XIII before sitting down and doing a rosary for Hull to beat Arsenal.

26. Johnny Canuck3

It's sort of dull, truth be told. Nikky Yanofsky did a good rendition at the olympic opening ceremony, but it's a hard song to perk up much.

As a kid in school, I always preferred singing The Maple Leaf Forever. :)

The shamrock and the rose entwine the maple leaf forever.

27. Clint Iguana

Sorry, I did not address your point because I did not realise you had one.

Yes, football is all about enjoyment. I get my kicks travelling all over the country with my mates watching my local team, having a laugh and a drink, singing passionately and getting behind the team. We share the highs and we share the lows – and those highs are all the more intense because we have been through the lows and because it is nice to see the local boy doing good.

No one forces me to support my local team, if I wanted to I could sit in front of the telly and watch some random team I have decided to attach myself to (and therefore nothing stopping me changing allegiances if I felt like it), but that would bore me shitless.

I have no problem with “a load of paddies across the sea getting pleasure out of watching fantastic football and taking joy in it's success” – I would be a very sad and lonely twat if I let that sort of thing worry me.

What does grate is obnoxious cunts – no matter what team they ‘support’.

28. revol68

and i've explained why I (and many others in Northern Ireland) feel a certain distance from both my local club and national side.

if you're problem is me being an obnoxious cunt then by all means take issue but I'd suggest in order not to look so thick you do so by sticking to the topic immediately at hand rather than going off on ignorant rants about things you have fuck all clue about.

29. Clint Iguana

QED

30. live_jayeola

live_jayeola /me is jayeola

GSTH == yes