Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Euro 2016 qualifiers

Wilf

Slouching towards Billingham
Pretty certain that graphic is classing Home International goals as friendlies rather than tournaments. Charlton got 16. I'm not raising it as a 'who is best' thing, but doing so underrates Charlton's goals. Home Internationals were certainly as 'competitive' as most qualifying games. Broadly, the opposition was weaker than the top international teams, but a lot stronger than the weakest.

Wilf

I used to bloody love the Eng V Scotland game in the home internationals - one of the few live matches you would ever see on telly. Some nostalgia on the Home Internationals here, even if it is a crappy ntl page:
Home Internationals on TV 1969-1984

ska invita

back on the other side
I havent watched any of these games...how are England playing? Is Kane caning it?
Looking forward to the comp this summer....

Wilf

Our attack options look good, midfield solid, defence worrying, keeper solid.

Quarters or semis would be success.
England were poor against Spain, which was an indication of how they might fare against the top teams. But yes, all the components are there for what might come together as a reasonable team. I'll go with 'guarded optimism'.

Wilf

... and on that point, of the period since Charlton set the record, Greaves would have broken it if he'd played 10 games more, Lineker very nearly did 20 years ago and now Rooney has. Even though there's nobody currently playing who's out of the teens in terms of goals, someone could easily break the new record in the next decade and a bit (though Kane is the only realistic candidate already in the England team).
Reviving an argument from this and subsequent postings a couple of years ago (last page), he's now on 18 in 26 for England. :cool: