England Cricket 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Teaboy, May 24, 2018.

1. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Thats the dream for ECB/Lords anyway.

3. Teaboy

Rain has just stopped in SW London and bright skies overhead. What luck for the ECB and Lords!

Anyway, I reckon they'll be some play today. I dunno what the pitch will be like but you'd guess now we've had this rain it'll be Woakes in and bowl first. That being said Root does seem to like a bat first regardless of conditions or the fact we can't really bat.

4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Four-day game then. Does that bring Moeen back into the reckoning? Anyone know how Woakes has been bowling recently? He has had two modes in test cricket: one very effective mode when he bowls 140 k plus regularly and takes wickets; and another very ineffective one in which he stays under 140k and doesn't take wickets. Without recent evidence of the former, I wouldn't pick him.

5. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

I predicted Woakes over Moeen this morning purely on the weather forecast. Today washed out, rain now predicted for part of tomorrow and Monday. Don't need two spinners in damp conditions.

6. Teaboy

Yeah I'm not optimistic for a result from this match. The way things are these days losing an entire day usually wouldn't matter that much but Saturday aside there is still a fair amount of rain around and Monday could yet be a write off.

7. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

Rain saving India this morning by the look of it.

8. Teaboy

Fair play to India, despite there being virtually no play they are still trying to make it a result game.

That run out is all Kohli's fault. There was a run there and Pujara was running to the danger end, Kohli would have been well home but he sold him down the river.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    Pink Panther likes this.
  9. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

I love Trevor Brooking even more than I did before. He's just been on TMS talking to Agnew during the rain delay and half-way through the chat, completely out of the blue, Trevor launches into an attack on the 100 saying he just doesn't see the point of it. He then repeats that there's no need for it on and off for the next 5 to 10 minutes.

10. Teaboy

Its not the best but it must be doing something right to get 6 series. The 100 (TV series) - Wikipedia

11. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

He's not wrong to be fair. Three domestic cricket formats will probably do don't you think?

12. Teaboy

Looks like we're going to get some play. Bet the Indian batsman are licking their lips at the prospect of a couple of hours late in the day in these conditions against Broad and Anderson.

I don't think there is much chance of a result in this match but there is the chance to do some lasting damage to the nerves of the Indian top 6.

agricola and SpookyFrank like this.
  13. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

107 all out, in conditions that this England attack would have had anyone all out for less than 150.

14. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Now if the England top order can just put a decent score together they have a chance to put the boot on India's neck here.

15. littlebabyjesus

Was listening to that on the radio. They went on and on about how Pujara is a crap runner, keeps getting run out etc. Now just watched the highlights and that was 100% Kohli's fault. Not what I was expecting from the commentary. Made sure it was Pujara who went not him as well. Dunno what Kohli's run-out stats are or if he's in the Steve Waugh league of selfishness, but he looks like he might be (Waugh involved in 27 runouts - was out himself in just four).

agricola likes this.
  16. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

:D

(Any chance you can do the same for Jennings?)

SpookyFrank and littlebabyjesus like this.
  17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Shame Broad couldn't get a hat-trick but this is going pretty well!

Spymaster likes this.
  18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Stokes not guilty apparently.

19. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

20. littlebabyjesus

Judge was rather, um, leading...

You are now to retire (as indeed should I) carefully to consider your verdict of not guilty...

Ponyutd likes this.
  21. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

Amazed at that . What I saw, he was looking at a nice bit of bird.
    Very lucky boy.

22. butchersapron

The media reporting of what essentially was the prosecution case as the entirety of the proceedings was pathetic.

23. littlebabyjesus

A few bits of that prosecution case were rather shoddy work. Going after the 'drunk and enraged' angle when they must have seen the copper body-cam footage showing him very calm, reasonable and cooperative. Odd. Plus not checking out the bouncer's story a bit more thoroughly - reckon his unreliable testimony was a big part of the acquittal.

24. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

But looking at the video of the attack he looks absolutely the aggressor the whole way through. When others stop fighting he carries on after them....crazy verdict.

25. butchersapron

Are you serious? After it stopped one of them went and got a pole an attacked stokes with it. He got a non-guilty last week. No way Stokes was getting anything else after that.

Do you think the fight just started at the point that the cctv caught it? That was the whole point of the trial.

26. butchersapron

Anyway, get in the walkabout this afternoon. Should be lively.

27. littlebabyjesus

One had a bottle, the other, as butchers said, went to fetch something. They tooled themselves up, he didn't. His defence was acting to 'defend himself and others'. Bloke saying Stokes had been abusive is discredited in the witness stand. Crown story that Stokes was pissed doesn't stand up given his behaviour directly afterwards.

This sorry affair should never have gone to court, imo (and the judge's opinion too by the sounds of it :D), and wouldn't have done if someone hadn't filmed it to sell to the tabloids.

28. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

I thought it odd that video shown to the jury was released during the trial.. Im.probably wrong but i thought that kind of reporting wasn't allowed until after verdict?

29. butchersapron

The vid was released/sold well before any charges - no way to stop that once out there i suppose.

30. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

The police body cam one?