England Cricket 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Teaboy, May 24, 2018.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

He was dropped a few times, I remember, over the years. And he went to South Africa of course, the wanker. I think odis ruined Emburey a bit - he went very fast and flat later on. More entertaining watching him bat than bowl.

And tbf for all the stick Ali gets, he doesn't get it from the selectors. If anything he was selected too much last winter, to his own disservice. And he never gets stick from the fans.

2. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Also I'm not really sure its fair to compare spinners from before and after the review system. There is no shadow of a doubt that spinners are the biggest beneficiary, years gone by all you had to do was plant the front leg as far down the wicket as you could and you were generally safe.

Also people can't bat these days, not in tests anyway.

3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

He wasn’t dropped as such. He simply wasn’t England’s number one spinner (Phil Edmonds was) and he wasn’t the all-rounder Moeen is. He played fairly consistently between about 81-89 when two spinners were deemed to be called for.

And if Moeen doesn’t get stick from the fans I must have imagined a few posts in this thread.

I might add he’s also got about 150 wickets in 52 tests to Edmonds 125 in 51. And nearly 2000 runs more. (Which makes an interesting comparison both ways for ‘people can’t bat in tests anymore’).

4. littlebabyjesus

Do we give moeen stick on here? Not sure I've seen it.

5. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

I've given him stick. But in certain circumstances. ie down under. I think he's a lovely player. Bats beautifully at times. bowls a lovely bit of spin. Unfortunately he hasn't done well done well in Aus, but also at times when the rest of the team hasn't and it has exposed him a bit because of that. I think his bowling has come on a bit but he does need to be happy with the number one spinner label and does need a good away ashes tour to really cement his quality...with ball and bat. I would love to see it. Although i think he shouldn't have played quite a bit in that last ashes tour (as he lost form etc), he came back and has shown his right to be in the team

planetgeli likes this.
  6. littlebabyjesus

He was screwed on that Ashes tour. He wasn't fully fit but the selectors didn't trust Crane enough to play him (why the fuck did they pick him then???). So he shouldn't have played in the first test, let alone all five and one in NZ afterwards. And he definitely should have been dropped after the third test with the series gone. It affected all aspects of his game.

I was massively pleased to see him regain form with Worcs and come back fighting.

We all call for various things on here at various times. I've called for Stuart Broad to be dropped before now (wrongly, as it turned out - I have a knack for that). Doesn't mean I don't rate him or I want to give him stick. Just means I didn't think he was playing well enough at the time. We're allowed not to be glowing with praise all the time for everyone, surely. And it means that when the praise does come, it means something.

I dispute the idea that you have to do well in Aus to define your career though. Plenty of players have gaps in their CVs. Warne struggled in India. Sobers was hopeless in New Zealand. Ashwin has an awful record in Aus as well, iirc. Very very few players are great everywhere they play - Tendulkar was, and so were a few others, but not many.

7. Teaboy

Well barring a serious turn in the weather or some extraordinary happening this game looks like its in the bag and a good win it'll be. Still, it still feels that an England win raises as many questions as a loss.

Jennings on 98* at tea.

8. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Moeen has been almost ever-present since his debut: 52 Tests in just over four years. Emburey played 64 Tests over 17 years, probably not much more than one third of all Tests during that time.

Emburey's economy rate was a miserly 2.2 runs per over, compared to Moeen's 3.6. I was never a great fan of Emburey, who seemed something of a selectors' favourite to me, but he played in a different era so selectively comparing a few key stats doesn't tell the whole story. And of course there wasn't the prevalence of social media in Emburey's day, while even the television commentators an pundits were probably rather more reverential and forgiving; I'm sure all players of that era would attract their share of hysterical comment if they were in their prime now.

9. littlebabyjesus

Not sure I see too many questions at the moment tbf. I mean Moeen is not right at number 3. But that middle order remains as congested as ever. The only question for the next test will concern Bairstow if he's fit. I suspect that he won't play, fit or not. This team feels like the right one for this tour - the right combination of three spinners, three options for seam, and bat all the way down to 8, arguably 9.

Credit to Jennings. Certainly seems to like it in Asia.

10. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Not a criticism of Moeen or Leach but I'd like to see Rashid bowl more and earlier in an innings. I get the feeling Root doesn't rate him. The only bowler I've seen (apart from Warne) who can drift it one way then spin it the other.

11. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I think England captains always get miserly about giving away runs. Leg spinners will always get hit, but will usually take wickets.

Casual Observer likes this.
  12. Casual Observer

Plenty of runs to play with here so I hope he gets a fair crack at it. They pulled up a statistic on the telly saying the record successful 4th innings chase on this ground was not much more than 300 (I think).

Good point about finger spinner vs wrist spinner economy though.

13. littlebabyjesus

:hmm: Graeme Swann could do that. Surely any spinner who gives it a good rip can do it?

tbh I think they got it spot on in the first innings. Tomorrow could be where Rashid comes into his own. His possibly only five wicket haul was on a final day pitch in UAE.

14. strung out

strung out (",)

Highest successful run chase at Galle in tests is 99: Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

15. Casual Observer

To a lesser extent but I'll have to begrudgingly admit defeat on this one. Come to think of it, with a strong east to west wind, I could probably do it myself as well.

16. littlebabyjesus

John Emburey probably struggled to do it. ;)

planetgeli likes this.
  17. Casual Observer

18. littlebabyjesus

I think I was listening to that. iirc it was the highest 4th innings at Galle. In a defeat, I think it was.

19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Either the BBC or Cricinfo earlier said 300 was the highest fourth innings score ever in Galle, with 99 as the highest chase. Out of date stat now though.

20. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I can get pretty good drift, I just can't get much spin with my off breaks. With my leg spin, the opposite is true.

21. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Looks like an unassailable position, but why not bat into the fourth day anyway? Grind them down, wear out their bowlers.

22. Teaboy

Sounds like there is potentially rain around and they use a lot of tarp out there for covers and there is no drainage. An hour of rain could mean losing a sessions and more.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    SpookyFrank and Santino like this.
  23. planetgeli

I've been there. Most torrential downpour I've ever been in. You're right, but they wouldn't even need an hour of rain. Gorgeous place though, love that ground and the Fort behind.

Teaboy likes this.
  24. Teaboy

I was there earlier this year. No cricket sadly but there was a school sports day taking place on it which, in a way, made it even more lovely. Stunning setting, its very sad this might be the last test there.

planetgeli likes this.
  25. planetgeli

Good win then. Thought they’d clear it up in a day, SL do seem very weak batting and any good score is going to put them out of a game.

Heard Root on the radio being interviewed. Selection conundrums. Interesting in the clip I heard the interviewer put forward Moeen’s name and Root replied with praise for Leach. 16 wickets with spin away from home, can’t be bad.

It is lovely. I was there in 2014, saw a one dayer in Colombo (Moeen scored a century in a losing cause. Cook couldn’t hit the ball off the square, literally).

But in Galle there was no cricket though two security guards were on the gate. Because I was nosing in, they offered me a tour of the ground. They explained they needed to do this because whatever tip I would give them for doing so (it was quite a blatant monetary transaction) would be the difference between poverty and feeding their families that week. They did tell me what they were on for that job and though I can’t remember the figures, it was ridiculously low.

Tl;dr? I got a tour of Galle cricket ground, their families ate. Win/win but sad that it had to come to that.

26. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Mo and Adil don't need managing like that no more - Jack maybe. Either way, a SC team out twice to our spinners...can't complain.

27. littlebabyjesus

Next up Kandy, which apparently is normally pretty flat. I'd be tempted to take the same team into that. Each spinner offers something different, and between them they can either hold or attack. You could argue that two seamers would have been enough at Galle. SL only had one! But three at Kandy ought to be enough, imo, and this team bats deep.

Only question then is how you get Moeen back down the order.

28. planetgeli

FWIW, I remember Galle as being occasionally torrential, but with definite sunny intervals. Kandy? Grey skies and persistent rain. We’ll see.

29. Teaboy

Switch him and Buttler round seems to be the rumour.

30. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Nope, Stokes is going in at three apparently. Makes about as much sense as bumping Buttler up the order, ie none.