England Cricket 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Teaboy, May 24, 2018.

1. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Well the summer is up and running at Lords and England are batting and Stoneman is already out. In fairness it looked like a belter of a delivery, the sort you get as an opener in May. His bat came down a bit crooked but even if it had come down straight he'd probably just nicked off.

Batting first seems an odd choice given its May and there's been lots of rain around this morning. I guess they think batting last is going to be tricky, we'll see.

2. Teaboy

43-3.

Batting first in England, in May with a team who can't bat. Good choice skip.

3. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

My three stream options have packed up. Probably for the best.

4. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Google reddit cricketstreams. always reliable, scroll down to the free ones.

Casual Observer likes this.
  5. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

It’s a green pitch so fuck knows what root was thinking.

6. Teaboy

I like this quote from the BBC ticker

7. Teaboy

Its been overcast all day in London but is getting increasingly muggy. The decision to bat still looks very strange.

8. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Looks a whole lot worse than strange now

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Fucking nonsense. Green top, humid, shit batting line-up against the best swing bowler in the world and we bat. Ffs.

Sprocket. likes this.
  10. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

184 all out.

Wank.

a_chap likes this.
  11. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Dreadful. Expected. Nearly had my first bet in over a year when I saw Pakistan were 5-1 before play started. Probably should have done.

12. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Those are crazy odds considering England just got absolutely hammered by NZ. They should just give up on test cricket. Or at least bring in a dedicated Test coach - it's a shambles.

13. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Let's have a think what could the ECB do to improve Test Match performances.

I know! How about 100 ball matches?

:mad:

14. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

The Pakistan bowlers showed good discipline and control and it would appear that England underestimated them and didn't believe they could do much damage to their own powerful (on paper) batting line up. It will be interesting to see if the Pakistan batsmen can manage to build a decent first innings lead or if they will collapse and the pendulum swing back in England's favour.

15. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

You're ignoring that it was a bonkers decision to bat first on that wicket and in those conditions. The Pakistan captain looked a bit baffled but pretty pleased when the decision was made. The brains trust in that side is anything but. Root's not a test quality captain imo.

16. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

When you win the toss you need to think very carefully - then bat. In conditions that appear to favour the bowlers, you need to really consider the possibilities, then bat. Especially at Lords. If it was Trent bridge and it was damp and overcast, then you might consider bowling.

kabbes likes this.
  17. PaoloSanchez

Maybe it was a "bonkers" decision and maybe it wasn't, I guess we'll know for sure with the benefit of hindsight by the end of the test.
    Regardless the decision, England simply didn't bat well enough (except for Cook), and Pakistan batting in not great conditions in the evening managed to get to 50-1 against a good England attack. Apparently there were concerns about how the pitch would play on the last day which was one of the reasons they chose to bat first.

18. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

A green pitch. Against a quality pace attack. Overcast conditions. A fragile batting lineup. Nope, don't bat.

Spymaster likes this.
  19. PaoloSanchez

It's quite easy to be an armchair captain. I don't think England rated Pakistan that highly and maybe felt that apart from one or two individuals ( eg M Amir ) the Pakistan bowling attack wasn't strong enough to do much damage. Pakistan also batted in overcast conditions against good bowlers. If Pakistan can capitalise on their fairly solid start they England might struggle to win, however if their batsmen can show the same sort of discipline that their bowlers showed yesterday then they should be in with a shout of at least getting a draw. From what I saw, even though the pitch was green, it wasn't unplayable and the low England score had more to do with poor shots than anything else.

20. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

They've taken the Rajasthan Royals middle order and put them out in a 5 day match at Lords with nothing in between. That in itself is pretty fucking stupid. Of course they're going to be playing 'poor' shots. They've just come from bashing it to all corners in India and getting applauded off the ground for lasting 30 balls.

21. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Stoneman, Root, Bairstow and Malan don't really have that excuse. Too many poor shots from the top five was the initial problem. Then the lower middle order couldn't bail them out. Only Cook batted well yesterday. So yes, the decision to bat looks bad now, but Pakistan might have made a much better fist of things batting yesterday, and that could have made the decision to bowl first look bad. The toss decision wasn't the real problem yesterday. The real problem was bad shots from the top order leading, yet again, to a score of 50-3. You can't always get away with that.

22. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's business as usual. There was a brief year or two when our batting was very strong. Trott blunted the attack, Cook carried the bat and Pieterson and Prior were hugely destructive.

23. littlebabyjesus

There was a period when the entire top 7 was very experienced and averaging over 40. But yes, you're right that such times are not the norm.

24. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Even Bell wasn't shit for a while!

25. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I can't begin to tell you how much I'm kicking myself right now.

5 to fucking 1.

26. PaoloSanchez

So, with a score of 350-8 (effectively 9), Pakistan already have a decent first innings lead. Assuming England get the last remaining wicked relatively quickly. They will need a similar 350 score to put Pakistan under pressure in the 4th innings. I'm not sure that the decision to bat first really made that much difference tbh, Pakistan batted in similar conditions but applied themselves better. England's batting and fielding has been poor and in contrast Pakistan have been for the most part controlled and disciplined, not traits normally associated with a Pakistan team.

27. littlebabyjesus

Mark Stoneman's final test innings?

28. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

How can the likes of Sri Lanka, NZ etc keep coming up with decent test batsmen yet the ECB can’t? It’s insane. Tom fucking Latham would walk into this side and he’s mediocre at best.

29. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Turns on radio 4, TMS.

:facepalm:

Turns off radio.

30. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Comment on cricinfo there, quite agree. England might as well go into t20 mode now with the resources at their disposal. Smash a hundred or two with conservative test field placements.