1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England cricket 2017

Discussion in 'general sports' started by DrRingDing, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yup, a couple of counselling sessions and a nice cosy sit down interview with Atherton or someone and he'll be good to go.

2. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Wel in the late 90s Ponting had a fight outside a bar at Kings Cross back home, got suspended for three matches and at one stage looked like his career could have been over before it even started, he wasn't established in the test side then having just been dropped, but he came back from that and became a hellava player.

So even if Stokes gets convicted and is out of this series, I think he is too good a player not to come back and make a really good name for himself.

3. Teaboy

I know what you are saying but when did a million quid and good manners ever sit comfortably in the same statement? As long as he's not in jail he'll be at the IPL I reckon, the ECB will support it as 'he needs game time'. I more intrigued at whether he'll be at the Big Bash. The aussies won't care about what he's done if he's available one or more teams will be on the phone.

squirrelp likes this.
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Now that would be bad manners. BB is on during the Ashes, I think. No chance he can do that. No doubt he'd get offers, but he's centrally contracted - can only play anywhere with permission. You're probably right that permission would be granted for the IPL, though, although it shouldn't.

5. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Does Ben Stokes strike as the sort of character who would be concerned about manners? :D

Badgers likes this.
  6. Teaboy

No, but I imagine even he is feeling pretty chastened at the moment.

Badgers likes this.
  7. squirrelp

squirrelp Banned Banned

If I was Stokes I'd be hiring that lawyer now and also getting the best PR chap I could afford. And stick to soda water

8. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

squirrelp likes this.
  9. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

10. littlebabyjesus

Old news, and that's a very partial account of what happened. Overton has since expressed regret over the incident. Effectively asking the question 'should Overton be playing for England now?' more than two years later is pretty disingenuous and I would suggest that it relies on readers being new to this information. Was it out of order? Yes. Was it racially motivated? Certainly. Did he deserve a three-year ban for it, as this author appears to be suggesting?

Author himself isn't averse to crass racism, either. 'Great white hope'? Really? Fucking really?

11. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I think you’ve completely missed the heavy sarcasm and what he’s implying in that quote.

As far as Overton goes, I remember that incident (being a Sussex fan). And my recollection is that Overton didn’t do much in the way of regret at the time.

12. littlebabyjesus

If anything that just makes it worse, smearing England fans as racists who long for white heroes because they don't care about Overton's past. It's a fucking shit thing to say.

13. planetgeli

He’s not, at least I think not, smearing the fans. He’s smearing the selectors. That’s how I read it anyway.

14. littlebabyjesus

I remember reading it at the time and being very disappointed that he'd said that. And yes, he probably should have faced a slightly greater charge and a short ban, as Gale did. You could argue that Gale was much older and in a position of more responsibility and deserved a slightly harsher ban because of that. But it was over two years ago. The idea that this feeds into a wider racist agenda among England fans or selectors or anyone else is at best wild speculation that requires a lot of justification. Just reads to me like a cheap bit of opportunistic journalism, dragging up old news to get clicks. Just did a quick search, and this particular journalist was silent about the affair at the time.

15. planetgeli

Just to say, I’m not defending Liew, I think he’s largely a twat who will write for effect rather than from the heart. Which is exactly the sort of journalist I hate. And I might even be wrong about the great white hope interpretation I saw it as.

But I’m no fan of Overton for the way he abused Zaidi. And I’m not sure racist cunts turn over new leafs as easily as is being suggested he has.

16. littlebabyjesus

Here is a fuller account of the interview with Overton this year, which was cherry-picked by Liew.

I make no excuses whatever for his behaviour in 2015, and as he himself says, it wasn't just this match, but I do think he should be allowed to move on from it.

17. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Certainly, regardless of personal opinion, to not pick him three years later for something he didn’t even get a ban for at the time would be bizarre behaviour.

18. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Aside from the somerset vic marks all the latest feed news is that Ball will be playing not Overton.

On what Overton did i have two thoughts - 1) that he he hasn't addressed it beyond an anger management level/problem and 2) If we're pinging people forever for things done as kids and not giving them a chance to do what's required in 1) then we're denying part of what cricket is - part of that is developing (and i know that sounds wanky and is use in the widest possible sense of how non-proffresional clubs work)

So, not letting off, no hiding. He needs to face up to it and deal with it. Not deal with it as in learn how to deflect media mentions but as in apologise to ZA, recognise what he's saying sorry for and move on from them views. How to demonstrate that he has done the latter i don't know. Some wanky scheme isn't going to do it.

I don't expect any of this to actually happen.