England cricket 2017

Discussion in 'general sports' started by DrRingDing, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yeah but Gerrard had been proper provoked, the dj wouldn't play his song ffs.

planetgeli, kabbes and Spymaster like this.
  2. Wilf

Wilf Cocksucking Angry Columbo

Yeah, but the universe had been provoked by Gerrard wanting Phil Collins. :(

Badgers likes this.
  3. Wilf

Hard to see how it will play out really. He hasn't quite got the establishment background to pull the same judicial heartstrings as the stabby Oxford student and, as you say, he carried it right to the point where it's just him twatting people. Might depend on things like how much time there was between the alleged homophobia and the twatting, whether there had been flare ups earlier in the night etc. Certainly doesn't look good for him, but my pure, pointless guess is that he avoids jail, just.

4. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

I assume once he’s sent down the papers will describe him as a kiwi thug rather than the British hero he was a matter of days ago. If it is true that he was kicking the shit out of some violent homophobes though then he’s gone up in my estimation if anything.

It does seem unlikely mind you.

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What makes you say that it seems unlikely?

6. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Gut feeling. Nothing else. Now that piers has put it out there though it’s going to look even worse if they can’t track down this gay couple.

7. Wilf

Who knows, recollections of pissed up fights with the possibility of prosecutions are always messy and one sided... even more so as it goes into celebrity news management. But my pure guess is that there were a gay couple and they took some abuse. It's a rather specific claim to be a complete fabrication. Whether he really did intervene on their behalf and how much time passed between the abuse and the video might well end up at the heart of the case. All pure speculation of course.

8. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

I'll happily bet that £200 that Stokes doesn't go to prison for this incident. Evens bet. Loser pays the money to the server fund. Only one bet, first come first served.

9. Wilf

"Feeling his life was threatened by the bottle weilder he'd already disarmed and twatted, my client had no option but to spark out another bloke..."

10. Teaboy

You'd hope that 'the most valuable player in the world' would have access to a slightly better brief than that.

11. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

IANAL, but if I were having to defend Stokes, I would go down the route of saying that he still believed himself to be under threat by the other parties who had kicked it off. Self-defence is justified if you have a bona fide belief that you are about to be attacked, regardless of whether or not you are right in that belief.

Wilf likes this.
  12. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Shite bet. He's unlikely to do time.

I'll have a tenner with you at 20/1 though.

13. Wilf

Yep, unless there are other elements to the story we haven't heard yet, that's probably the defence word for word.

14. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

The guy he knocked out cold was not the bottle wielder. Reasonable force will come into it as well. They were both surrendering at the sight of a massive raging ginger bull and he still 'finished it'.

15. kabbes

Yeah, I don't hugely fancy his chances of getting off. But he doesn't technically need the guy he knocked out to be the bottle wielder, he just needs to persuade a jury that he was in fear of his safety from the one he hit. A jury could go for that, potentially -- after all, he was not the original instigator, nor was he the one that escalated it with a weapon, and he could credibly claim that, in the moment, he was still fearful that these attackers would do something harmful.

16. Teaboy

I still think he's going to court either way though, unless he coughs for a lesser charge like affray or something.

ETA: The Gerrard thing is interesting though because that seems worse yet he still managed to get away with self-defence.

17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Both suspended on full pay until further notice.

18. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Only if they haven't seen the video.

kabbes likes this.
  19. butchersapron

Or are sympathetic to him and his actions.

20. Teaboy

It should be a fairly easy for a decent barrister to make the argument that in the heat he didn't know which of the two had attacked him with a weapon. I dunno if Gerrard can get away with punching a dj 3 times because he feared the other guy might do something you'd think this is an easier defence given he'd already been attacked with a weapon.

Yes this.

planetgeli, Spymaster and kabbes like this.
  21. Wilf

It was pretty obvious that he was at the point in a fight where the tide had turned, he'd twatted one of them and the others were backing off. He was on the victory rampage, Wealdstone raidering the rest of them. But it sounds like there's enough there for, as you say, a brief to tell it as self defence. 6/10 chance of making it to court, 8/10 not-guilty if it does.

Badgers, Teaboy and kabbes like this.
  22. kabbes

Lol, Wealdstone raider.

He should have Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkinsed them.

Badgers, Spymaster and Wilf like this.
  23. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

... and they overlook the law.

It could happen but I think you'd have a hard job convincing anyone who isn't his mum that that was self defence.

24. Teaboy

Yeah, quite right.

From the moment that guy failed to connect they were fucked and it was only going one way (with or without Hales's pathetic little cheap shots with his box fresh white trainers). The punch at the end was absolutely unnecessary and it could have done serious damage. As you say though there is enough there for one of Britain's best barristers to play with.

Badgers likes this.
  25. butchersapron

Juries doing just that is part of the game and has been for a v long time.

Badgers and Spymaster like this.
  26. Wilf

'M'lord, you can tell that my client was fearful for his life, in that he had to break the hand he'd previously damaged punching a locker. If it wasn't for the fortuitous presence of industrial amounts of pain dulling alcohol he would have just walked away from the fight. Oh, err..'

Badgers likes this.
  27. Teaboy

Gerrard did and he hadn't even been attacked just thought he was about to be (apparently).

Badgers and Spymaster like this.
  28. butchersapron

Simon harwood too.

Badgers likes this.
  29. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Apparently there's another video doing the rounds at the moment with Stokes taking the piss out Katie Price's disabled kid.

Blood in the water ...

Badgers likes this.
  30. Teaboy

Yeah and he killed someone.

I wonder if coppers come above millionaire sports stars in the 'getting away with it' stakes?

Badgers likes this.