England cricket 2017

Discussion in 'general sports' started by DrRingDing, Oct 6, 2016.

1. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Cheers Sun. That's probably fucked him for the ashes now.

Badgers likes this.
  2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Hasn't he thoroughly fucked the spirit of cricket, though? Isn't it right that cricket sanction him for doing so?

Just what is the spirit of cricket if it includes drunken brawling at 2:30am?

And isn't this the problem with building rules around something so esoteric and subjective in the first place?

Badgers likes this.
  3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Hales is not coming out of that very well if that's him kicking someone in the head after stokes has dropped him.

4. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Watching this I think he’s got bigger worries than missing out on a cricket tour. Pretty damning.

5. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yeah.

Its only slightly in his defence but it really doesn't look like a random and unprovoked attack. The other two were hardly looking to get away and kept getting back in his face. It looks like a genuine pub brawl, a one sided one but that's the risk you run if you're a fan of car park brawling. It's the last punch that'll do for him and yes Hales made little attempt to stop it, he clearly joins in for a bit, he's as guilty.

I thought it was a bit odd when last night England had scraped an unlikely (if a bit lucky) win and Morgan didn't make it to the ceremony for the presentation because of a teem meeting. They must have seen the video by then.

6. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Yes. This is entirely the Sun's fault!

What a twat. I'll be amazed if he ever plays for England again tbh.

Of all the times we've asked for some fighting spirit from an English cricketer...

7. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Not the first time somebody has played the role of pissed up idiot and emerged as a decent human, he might manage it. His trouble - as well as being caught on video which will force the ECB's hand - is that he has previous.

8. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

What are you wittering about?

9. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Just watched that again - i think it is Hales putting the boot in while the guy's on the ground. His claim of being uninvolved just went out the window. Custodial sentence for Stokes then. You can clearly hear someone saying 'you win you win' as Stokes goes on his rampage and before he knocks the guy out. Fucking idiot.

10. kabbes

Nice.

I'm saying that you can't have it both ways as regards this "spirit of cricket" thing. He's brought the game into disrepute. Far more so than some tiny village side taking advantage of a loophole in the way that points are accumulated, in my view. The fact that he has brought the game into disrepute really isn't the fault of the Sun, much as I'd like to blame them for everything.

11. Wilf

'A custodial sentence will destroy his hopes of becoming a successful surgeon ashes cricketer'.

12. squirrelp

squirrelp Banned Banned

I haven't seen the video, but read that one of the other parties went to throw a bottle?

I think that would give a case for self defence at least against the bottle thrower even if a great deal of force was used.

13. kabbes

It does up until the point that the bottle thrower is on the ground and out of action but you continue to put the boot in anyway. Self-defence isn't a carte blanche to beat somebody up as much as you want.

Spymaster likes this.
  14. butchersapron

Trying to disentangle two things which probably shouldn't be disentangled. First the non-cricket: we don't know what happened prior to the start of the filming and probably never will. Taking it from where it does start though, if you try to, or are with someone who tries to bottle someone then you can't complain if you come out worse. You have to expect some immediate justice - and it going beyond the initial kick off is a risk they have taken on. The cricket side: should stokes have been out pissed in the middle of the night (and in a students area ffs) whilst slap bang in the middle of a 5 game ODI series and being vice captain? And after being repeatedly warned about late night drinking whilst playing? Clearly not. Does it mean he should be stripped of the VC? Most def. Does it mean he can't control his emotions and aggression thus making him both a risk as a player? Possibly but i don't think this incident shows that at all - it shows him sticking up for a mate even at risk to himself. Remember when he was smacked in the face with a ball returned from the crowd in India - handled that v well. Does it mean he shouldn't be playing for England for now? Yes. Forever? No.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  15. Wilf

Aye, it's the existence of the Sun that's the problem, not so much what they've done with this video. I'd like to think I'd keep it private if I had the footage, but I can't really blame the person who sold it. And when if comes to the Sun, it's not really up there with hacking the voicemails of murder victims. If I had footage of a tory mp brawling, I'd certainly sell it( even if I'd give the money to charity).

16. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Besides being an international cricketer with a lot to lose on that front, wtf is a father of two young kids, whos getting married in a couple of weeks, doing out on the lash in a meatmarket at 2.30am in the morning? My wife wouldn't be too pleased at that alone let alone if it led to me getting sacked - which he surely will. The sponsors must be reviewing their contracts right now.

17. butchersapron

18. butchersapron

I think a lot of his current behaviour - on and off the pitch, good and bad - is coming from him being built up into an untouchable superman. That stuff can be rectified but usually comes at a high cost to the superhero in one way or another.

19. Teaboy

Its that last punch, quite frankly he could have killed the guy. He'll be extremely fortunate not to do time over it. Hales and is probably due a caution as well.

Bit of a mess to say the least. Least Ali is in good form.

20. strung out

strung out (",)

Guy with the bottle in his hand deserved it

21. Teaboy

Yeah but he's not the one who goes down at the end, it's his mate who's got the hands up 'alright, alright' gesture. If it hadn't been for that last punch he'd have probably got away with self-defence.

22. squirrelp

squirrelp Banned Banned

I've just watched the video.

I actually don't think Stokes has any problems if he has a half-decent defence lawyer with the ABH charge. One of the other guys launched a weaponised assault! You just can't do that. If you throw a bottle at someone and it so much as scratches their skin, that is GBH. That drunken people in clubs might not quite realise the implications of violently using the bottle they carried or picked up outside is their problem. I think the guy sparked out at the end was not the bottle thrower but as butchersapron points out, probably doesn't matter - they still were on the same side of the fight after the bottle was thrown. They started it, he finished it.

23. Wilf

Trouble is, however many pissed up fighters they have in front of them, judges don't understand how this stuff plays out. Judge will be giving it the 'you should have walked away' line. Probably he should have done, but that's not how it happens.

Badgers likes this.
  24. Teaboy

I tell you what though if I was one of the other two involved I'd give it the full no comment to the police. I'd just want the whole thing to go away rapidly.

Wilf likes this.
  25. butchersapron

Story now going round that stokes was preventing a homophobic attack. Piers morgan being fed and spreading the story. Obv no idea if truth or strategy:

26. butchersapron

Mail now running the story with input from other 'friends' supporting same line. Could be both true and strategy.

They should have added that stokes then finished it.

27. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Even if it were true I don't see how it'll make much difference. He had loads of opportunities to retreat, someone is clearly telling him multiple times "enough", and the bloke he ends up decking was trying to back down.

kabbes likes this.
  28. Teaboy

Well there was clearly something going off and it only got physical when that bloke started swinging with the bottle so all that fits.

29. Teaboy

This is the bottom line I think, it all comes back to that last punch. Whilst many will consider it street justice and just what happens I can't see how the law will turn a blind eye to that.

30. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

It's a bit convenient that isn't it.:hmm:

Still he can always try the Gerrard defence of 'it doesn't matter how plainly guilty you are if you're a wealthy high profile sportsman.'