1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England cricket 2017

Discussion in 'general sports' started by DrRingDing, Oct 6, 2016.

1. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Badgers likes this.
  2. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

This is 'to gain experience' for the Ashes day/night test isn't it?

Haven't the day/nighters all finished within 4 days so far?

3. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I don't hate the idea, but I don't really see the point in it here. Tests here are well-attended anyway, you still have to take the day off work to watch the full day, and it gets cold in the evenings here.

In Adelaide, yes, I could see the sense, and people flocked to watch Aus v NZ: 120,000 over three days! If you're only paying 20 quid to get in, which is about the price in Aus, you're less likely to mind missing the first session for work, as well. Perhaps they'll offer final-session only tickets, but given that tests here are nicely full anyway (Edgbaston this year for Pakistan was over 80,000 for the five days), what's the point in that?

JCB likes this.
  4. DrRingDing

Was this cooked up by the ECB or Edgbaston?

I'm sure the ground will approve of the extra bar sales.

Badgers likes this.
  5. DrRingDing

Playing in the evening is the way forward for all formats. Be that watching at home or in person it will get more spectators.

Badgers likes this.
  6. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Bump. Fist ODI vs South Africa. Solid enough so far...

7. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Well, England certainly aren't making a fist of the 3rd. Something beginning with 'F' but not a fist.

8. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

Dunno about London but it's certainly not batting weather here in the midlands. Still, 159 all out is pretty piss poor.

Three failures in three matches for Jason Roy too :(

9. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Champions Trophy then. Decent first innings score for Bangladesh. England should get it but...

10. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Should...

11. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I'm choosing to interpret this thread as cricket *in* England to include champions trophy talk...

NZ looking set to get out the long handle against Oz. 8 wickets in hand still. 199-2 with 14 overs remaining.

12. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Well they've made a total rick of it now.

13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Yep. Going to take something to get a defendable total.

14. Teaboy

I'm a bit depressed about the England team. Best English one day team I've ever seen and we're picking up injury after injury to key players. Or most consistent bowler (and useful lower order batsman) injured and out. Stokes looks about 70% at best and Root is hobbling around.

Our bowling was fragile to begin with, this does not bode well.

15. Teaboy

England v NZ today. I tell you what the weather is making a right mess of this tournament so far and today doesn't look much better. That being said a draw wouldn't be the worst result for us.

16. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

Have a look at Butlers shot at 40...:eek:

17. Teaboy

Around a par score probably but that last over was a waste. Also being bowled out is not going to do us any favours when the inevitable DL kicks in.

18. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

We looked well set at 118 for 1 off 20 overs but couldn't really push on in the way we've become accustomed. 95 or so from the last 10 overs though, so not too shabby. New Zealand got their tactics right - lots of shortish bowling and a few wide full pitched balls on a ground with wide square boundaries and short straight boundaries. Surprised they got through the innings without interruption as I thought it was going to piss down for most of the day.

19. Casual Observer

Comfortable victory in the end. First side through to the semis.

20. Teaboy

Yup. All confidence drains out of NZ batting as soon as Williamson gets out. Could really do with winning the group and avoiding India in the semi.

21. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Pretty sure we can't not top group now. Top spot being decided by number of wins rather than NRR if aus beat us.

22. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Pah forget about the CT, you off to the real game this Friday/weekend?

23. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Hoping to get down to friday and sunday - friday will depend on how thursday night went, sunday if we're still playing. Which, given our recent collapses is not guaranteed.

24. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Well I hope the weather/match is good for you

25. Teaboy

I see the Saffa's are taking a novel approach to the threat of rain later on. Get your innings over and done with as quick as possible.

26. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Come on Lanka! Big upset is close.

27. Casual Observer

Best game so far. Very controlled, well paced run chase from Sri Lanka with all batsmen chipping in. All up for grabs in group b now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Idaho and Badgers like this.
  28. Teaboy

Fun and games in the Bangladesh v NZ match. Pakistan v Bangladesh in the semi anyone?

29. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Really enjoyed the nz v Bangladesh game. Just watching the highlights. Iplayer highlights and tms coverage has been great for this tournament.

30. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

We seem to be going OK here. Oz aren't flying along.