1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England Cricket 2016

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Santino, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

350 passed already and still 2 overs to go, Dhoni playing like a Titan...

upload_2017-1-19_11-47-29.png

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

Decent start from England...can they build on it?

upload_2017-1-19_13-51-7.png

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

The fat lady is limbering up...

upload_2017-1-19_15-49-20.png

...either that or Karlos Brathwaite might be needed for the last over...

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

...on the other hand.

Good hundred from Captain Morgan. Enough to win the match? Probably not especially as he's just been run out.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

Good over from Stokes. England might just do this...

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Banned Banned

Good win by England. Stokes and Woakes last 2 overs were top banana.

upload_2017-1-22_16-12-43.png

8. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Alastair Cook steps down. Probably good timing, I think.

Has to be Root as captain now? Only other even vaguely plausible option would be Broad.

If Root is made captain, that will mean all the big four 20-something batsmen will now be captains - Kohli, Smith and Williamson have coped with it well enough, I see no reason Root cannot.

9. littlebabyjesus

Highlights of Cook's reign all came abroad, I would say. Magnificent against the odds victories in India and Aus, with Cook himself in a starring role, and a gritty victory in South Africa last winter, which I think has been a little underappreciated.

10. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin

I agree that the SA series victory has been slightly under appreciated. Tremendous effort that.

India away was the crowning glory though. Strauss captained Eng during the 2010/11 Ashes win down under, unless I've missed a series (?)

I would hope he now goes on to smash all sorts of records at the top of the order with the pressure off. Root will need Chef's runs - esp if his own form drops as a result of the captaincy - as is so often the case....

11. littlebabyjesus

Ah yes, my mistake re Aus. India away was indeed the crowning glory.

12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

He wants to stay on as a test player. Hopefully this will help someone new to get themselves established as an opener before he leaves altogether. There's clearly nobody else you'd pick in his place at present.

13. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Well you could go Jennings and Hameed but it's clearly advantageous to have Cook in the team.

14. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

He was going to resign weeks ago, but in typical chef fashion hung on a a bit longer than need be before calling time on the innings :D

littlebabyjesus and SpookyFrank like this.
  15. littlebabyjesus

Pietersen keeping it classy as ever. Everything is always ALL ABOUT ME.

16. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

So it's Root then.

17. littlebabyjesus

No surprise, although I was starting to get a sneaky feeling it might be Broad. But bowlers don't get captaincy. Them's the rules.

18. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

19. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Yep, clearly cheating. TBF there's been a couple of commentators/writers here that have called Smith on it.

20. littlebabyjesus

Tricky one for me, Aus in India. I'm kind of bored of watching Ashwin take eight wickets a match and steamroller everyone in helpful conditions (he has a very ordinary record away from home, and despite astonishing stats, I'm not sure exactly how good he really is), but then again, it's Australia.

On balance, it is good to see Aus get thumped, especially when they manage to throw away a first innings lead and get caught cheating. :)

21. Josephsmith

Josephsmith New Member

nice review

22. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

2 England and Ireland 1 day internationals tomorrow and Sunday. Big deal for Irish cricket. I'm off to Lords Sunday for it. Can't wait. Anybody else going?

23. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Take a warm jacket and some soup. Cricket in early May is generally no fun.

24. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

Haha! Cheers for the tip. The forecast is quite good. (The optimism of the cricket fan)

25. squirrelp

squirrelp Well-Known Member

I don't see why sides can't have more reviews to be fair. In fact why not allow on the on pitch umpires to simply refer stuff themselves? It's not as if cricket is this free flowing frenzy where a pause is going to be awkward. The ball is live for something like ten minutes in a day's play. DRS decisions are the most exciting bit!