Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

End of windows 7 support, time to upgrade to Win 10

MrCurry

Invandrare
I’ve clung onto windows 7 on my 8 year old (I think) laptop, but now they are ending OS patches so I think I have to migrate to win 10.

What’s the recommended sequence? Back up files (any good bargains on cloud services out there for this?) and then what?
Is there a Microsoft website I can browse to, pay a fee and just download and install the new OS, or do I have to go to a shop and buy some CDs?

Or are there dodgy free options for obtaining working (non spyware) Win 10, or is that a bad question to ask? My computer knowledge is at least ten years out of date, as I do everything on iPad these days. Just need a laptop for spreadsheets, Ross-tech VCDS software and word processing.

MrCurry

Invandrare
Thanks, I’ll check the machine specs and post back here later, maybe someone can advise further on whether it will run win 10 :thumbs:

cybershot

The minimum specs for win10 are hardly any different from win7. Odds are it will run it.

For home users the upgrade paths are officially no longer free but it’s still possible. Assuming your windows 7 license isn’t dodgy of course.

try this.

dessiato

Proudly European.
I have Win10, Mrs D has Windows 7. Both similar machines bought at the same time. Mine is a source of constant problems. Nothing major, just irritating and annoying small things.

Mrs D has no problems with hers. It just works.

I wish I'd never got 10.

cybershot

For those happy with 7. Seriously after this month there are no more security updates. The OS is over 10 years and it’s time to move on.
If you really want to keep 7 then I’d seriously consider disconnecting it from the internet and use it for offline things only if that’s possible. It sounds drastic but trust me. All the nasty people that haven’t disclosed security holes will be waiting in the wings.

Don’t be one of those ‘it will never happen to me’ types.

two sheds

Least noticed poster 2007
I only use Windows (7) for editing complicated Word documents, mainly with a lot of comments or track changes. The rest of the time I'm on Linux Mint/Ubuntu and LibreOffice. I wonder whether to keep with 7 and just not connect to the web, copying Word documents across from Linux to edit them and then copying them back.

How can you still get W10 free cybershot ?

I presume there's also still a fair amount of setting up so that it doesn't leak unnecessary information back to Microsoft.

cybershot

I only use Windows (7) for editing complicated Word documents, mainly with a lot of comments or track changes. The rest of the time I'm on Linux Mint/Ubuntu and LibreOffice. I wonder whether to keep with 7 and just not connect to the web, copying Word documents across from Linux to edit them and then copying them back.

How can you still get W10 free cybershot ?

I presume there's also still a fair amount of setting up so that it doesn't leak unnecessary information back to Microsoft.
The link is posted above.
When you go through setup you can choose what is and isn’t sent back to Microsoft, and further refine it in settings. There will be articles out there for the super paranoid.

majority of it is just telemetry data so they can get information about your computers make/model and application stack and pass it as ‘compatible’

at work you have a ‘network administrator’ aka a team in charge of looking after your windows devices and ensuring they work well. For millions of home users that network administrator is Microsoft.By collecting the data it helps them know your machine is ok and if it’s in a position to accept the next feature updates etc. If it isn’t. Then it doesn’t offer the update to your machine.
Not saying they get this right 100% of the time because they don’t.

I know I’d rather trust Microsoft/Apple with a bit of data about me rather than google/facebook, but that’s another topic.

a_chap

When the world came apart, where were you?
I upgraded my PCs from Win 7 to Win 10 when it was a free upgrade and found I really disliked using Windows 10 (even on a laptop with a touchscreen) so I re-installed Win 7. Have been a happy camper ever since.

Now I find I'm being forced to upgrade I'm not a happy camper and have been putting it off for as long as possible.

Is it possible to run a virtual Win 7 inside Win 10...? Is that even sensible?

MrCurry

Invandrare
Ok, I checked the specs and the machine is a Samsung np300e5a from October 2011 and the specs are at this link:

It has a genuine windows 7 license which came with the machine. Thanks for your link above for a free win 10 upgrade cybershot - I will try it, but should I not do some backups first?

a_chap

...should I not do some backups first?
Yes!

Irrespective of upgrading the OS you should backup your files and/or your system disk. Hard drives (and SSDs) do and will fail. I used to keep a stack of failed hard drives as a reminder.

You can get free backup software and free cloud storage so there's no excuse not to keep your data backed up.

I use BackBlaze (paid for) and I also have an external 5Tb hard drive that I backup data to.

:thumbs:

cybershot

Ok, I checked the specs and the machine is a Samsung np300e5a from October 2011 and the specs are at this link:

It has a genuine windows 7 license which came with the machine. Thanks for your link above for a free win 10 upgrade cybershot - I will try it, but should I not do some backups first?
yeah backup any data that isn’t already backed up. You can use an external drive or a cloud service.
With win10 onedrive comes with it baked in so it may make life easier to go with onedrive which is Microsoft’s own offering.

Any problems with in place upgrades give me a mention. Windows lifecycle is part of my roles for a 15,000 windows device estate. Windows 7 to windows 10 has been a major pain in my backside and I’ve learnt a lot about why machines fail to upgrade and where to look.

because we started the roll up project too late we’re going to miss the deadline for about 2,000 devices so we’re having to buy extended support for those at £11 a pop per machine. Extended support is only available to enterprise customers though and not home users.
Now onto updating the 8,000 windows 10 1709 devices we’ve got that go out of support in April. 🤦‍♂️

for an org that was used to just doing ‘gold images’ every 3 years the whole windows 10 lifecycle thing has been catching is out so my project is to currently get that under control with a yearly process for feature updates and bare metal deployments. Although I’ve put a spanner in the works by going and getting myself a promotionin December which now means two sections of IT are fighting over when my start date for the new position should be. 😁😂

Last edited:

a_chap

You can also use OneDrive on Win7 to backup your files.

However the free option for OneDrive is limited to 5Gb. You can pay for more storage (e.g. £1.99 / month gives you 100Gb) however if you need more than 100Gb then one option is to sign up for an Office 365 Business Essentials licence. This is £4.50 per month (no annual commitment) and gives you 1Tb of OneDrive storage. You also get nearly all of Office 365 as well! :thumbs:

two sheds

I also have an external 5Tb hard drive that I backup data to.

:thumbs:
You've just reminded me that I've got an external drive that I'd forgotten about :facepalm:

I presume that the upgrade is from within Windows 7 iyswim, so hopefully upgrading a dual-boot Linux/Windows puter won't be a problem?

Gimigimi

leaky cyborg
If you're planning on making any hardware changes or upgrades do them before you upgrade to windows 10 if you can, it ties its license to your hardware and if it "detects a change of hardware" in the future it deactivates the license that you get when you upgrade.

I learned this during the course of an entire day i wasted screwing around with restoring backups and various other nonsense while upgrading my computer recently. Long story short, you can't boot windows 7 with a Ryzen APU so you can't upgrade it with that hardware installed, and if you upgrade windows on your old hardware that you can boot with, the license gets dumped when you put the new motherboard in. As usual, the solution is piracy, but it was a little irritating since I did have a legit windows 7 license. I mean, not on that computer, but somewhere in a closet I have a case for an old Dell I pillaged for parts and it has a windows 7 license sticker on the side so as far as I'm concerned that makes every windows 7 install I do legit.

cybershot

If you're planning on making any hardware changes or upgrades do them before you upgrade to windows 10 if you can, it ties its license to your hardware and if it "detects a change of hardware" in the future it deactivates the license that you get when you upgrade.

I learned this during the course of an entire day i wasted screwing around with restoring backups and various other nonsense while upgrading my computer recently. Long story short, you can't boot windows 7 with a Ryzen APU so you can't upgrade it with that hardware installed, and if you upgrade windows on your old hardware that you can boot with, the license gets dumped when you put the new motherboard in. As usual, the solution is piracy, but it was a little irritating since I did have a legit windows 7 license. I mean, not on that computer, but somewhere in a closet I have a case for an old Dell I pillaged for parts and it has a windows 7 license sticker on the side so as far as I'm concerned that makes every windows 7 install I do legit.
Incorrect. the license the for Dell would have been OEM. Meaning it lives and dies with that machine and that machine only.

MrCurry

Invandrare
It took me a good while to get all my backups done, but finally today I was ready to try the free win 10 upgrade link which cybershot kindly provided higher up in the thread. So far seems to be going to plan, with no error messages, just a few inconsequential applications which needed uninstalling because they would not be compatible with win 10.

I assume I’m benefiting from leaving this upgrade somewhat late in win 10’s lifecycle and that the bumps in the road in the upgrade tool have long since been smoothed over.

Will report back when I have a successful outcome. Right now it’s doing updates.

49E09386-4B49-4DF3-A270-BCB9A4B2519B.jpeg

cybershot

You’re past the compatibility checks at this stage. It still might blow out at the second reboot stage (at 80-100%) Fingers crossed it don’t and you get to the out of box experience (set up questions)

MickiQ

I upgraded my PCs from Win 7 to Win 10 when it was a free upgrade and found I really disliked using Windows 10 (even on a laptop with a touchscreen) so I re-installed Win 7. Have been a happy camper ever since.

Now I find I'm being forced to upgrade I'm not a happy camper and have been putting it off for as long as possible.

Is it possible to run a virtual Win 7 inside Win 10...? Is that even sensible?
You can install Virtualbox on Windows 10 and run other operating systems as VM's using it, I've managed it with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 along with several flavours of Linux and Solaris. So long as you have enough memory on the host box (>16Gb) and a modern CPU(s) then you can run WIndows 7 inside Windows 10 with no problem at all (long as you have a pukka copy)
I still have an active Window XP guest since I have a couple of programs that won't run on anything else.

MrCurry

Invandrare
All completed without problems yesterday. Just a few Qs about whether I want to enable my mic so I can ask Cortina (I don’t), whether to send diagnostics data, etc. Overall by far the easiest transition from one OS to another I’ve ever experienced, and it’s even preserved my Win 7 desktop (I was expecting win 10 to look “weird”!)

Recommended to anyone running win 7, because you know the way the world is now; After Microsoft end OS updates there’s going to be malware/ransomware coming out to take over unpatched machines. I put off this upgrade for ages, thinking it was going to cause me hassle & cost money to buy a new upgrade license. Really pleased I asked on this forum about how to approach it and I appreciate everyone’s advice, particularly @cybershot’s useful tip on free update tool :thumbs:

Last edited:

a_chap

So, I ended up doing the upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

The good news is that the upgrade went fine and I was relieved to discover that Microsoft have clearly improved the user experience of Windows 10; it no longer fills me with rage.

On the downside:
  • it is noticeable slower than Win7
  • Chrome crashes repeatedly (i.e. about every two hours)
  • Windows Explorer crashes
  • neither Word nor Excel will load, they crash immediately
😖

two sheds

The good news is that the upgrade went fine and I was relieved to discover that Microsoft have clearly improved the user experience of Windows 10; it no longer fills me with rage.

On the downside:
😖
Interesting - let us know how getting Word and Excel to work go. They're about the only things I run on Windows.

On the downside:
😖
mum-tat has a reconditioned computer than was new to her with W10, and hasn't experienced any of this.

i also use W10 at work and likewise don't have any problems like that.

have you done the upgrade in a way that left your existing programs there? i'm hoping to have the time and energy to do an upgrade from 7 to 10 some time soon (i missed out on the free version, as the only people i knew who did it at the time had loads of problems), but was working on the assumption it would be better if i reinstall all programs after i do it.

two sheds

mum-tat has a reconditioned computer than was new to her with W10, and hasn't experienced any of this.

i also use W10 at work and likewise don't have any problems like that.

have you done the upgrade in a way that left your existing programs there? i'm hoping to have the time and energy to do an upgrade from 7 to 10 some time soon (i missed out on the free version, as the only people i knew who did it at the time had loads of problems), but was working on the assumption it would be better if i reinstall all programs after i do it.
<takes notes>