1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elm Park Tavern -no longer a proper boozer in Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thread title edited.

2. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

mid-week I've often found it pretty empty - certainly the back room is often deserted, except, as you say on quiz nights. Love the pub, love the beer, love the eclectic collection of beer snacks, love the graffiti'd album covers in the gents, and have always loved that you can get a takeaway delivered and eat in; but i've always felt there to be a bit of a "slaughtered lamb" vibe - the locals go quiet and turn to look at you as you walk in.

Winot likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

upload_2017-5-31_16-29-15.png

(((the albert)))

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Albert can hardly claim to be a 'proper boozer' anymore seeing as it has no comfy chairs or sofas. Or any regular chairs for that matter.

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

When I last attended the Albert (maybe last year) the Greene King ales were on CO2 which seems a bit weird. If the manufacturer can't be bothered to serve its ales correctly leaving one to seek out the nearest Wetherspoons, what is the Brixton pub world coming to?
    Apart from that it was also about £1 a pint more expensive.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No one can compete with Wetherspoons extra-cheap prices but the Albert is by far the cheapest DJ bar/pub in Brixton that stays open late. Boy, I miss the Grosvenor.

CH1 likes this.
  7. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes - the same guy manages both pubs, I understand they are putting in a small kitchen.

Alex

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's their menu for King & Co. Food for "striking tram workers" in a posh pub, ffs.

2017-06-01_150744.jpg

9. Pickman's model

field MUSHROOM :mad:
    pickled PEPPER :mad:

one mushroom :mad: one pepper :mad: fucking £8? :mad:

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Beef shin debris and bone marrow gravy sounds like something you'd scrape off the road after an accident.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. Pickman's model

13. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Hmmm. I always thought Po Boy was short for Poor Boy and was a packed lunch for low paid farm workers. Not as good a story though.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's what Wikipedia says:

15. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Elm Park Tavern re-opening this weekend. I've peeked in a few times going past and it looks like they've done a nice job on the renovation.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The key thing for me is:
    1. The Prices
    2. Does it still feel like a pub?

17. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

The Sunday roast menu is up on their Instagram page and I can't work out how to copy it! Mains are £16 and puddings £6. No drinks prices on there. Looked quite like a pub from what I could see, although a trendyish one..

18. Pickman's model

19. Pickman's model

upload_2017-11-6_16-9-31.png

20. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

21. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Weird , I went past and it still looks closed, will pass by later, last time I looked in they'd ripped out the bar architecture So dread to think what it looks like. It's a small corner pub so hard to see how it can work as a small food biz?

22. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

It used to be my dad's local. I can remember going with him to buy a couple of bottles of beer from the off-sales door when I was about six. This was in the late '50s. I don't think they did food then.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I imagine they're just positioning themselves to fit the new, well heeled demographic.

24. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Oh I get it now, this weekend :facepalm:

25. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Silly food prices, no doubt booze will be similarly ridiculous. one to avoid.

editor likes this.
  26. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the beer prices will change much - ownership hasn't changed, after all, and EPT wasn't exactly a cheap place to drink before the refurb. I expect that it will all be quite similar to K&C.

I've been told that EPT will have a permanent kitchen rather than the ever changing visiting chefs at K&C, which is a bit disappointing. I'd been looking forward to the same variety of food but without the long walk.

27. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Some of the beer pricing in the King and Co is beyond ludicrous, its down right hilarious and scandalous.

the food in there seems like quite a good deal in comparison, where a full meal is rarely a more than a tenner (a couple of quid more than some bottles of the beer they sell!)

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

£7.60 for a pint of American Amber Ale!

29. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Some are competitively priced and then others are more expensive.

It’s like a wine list

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Competitively priced compared to which pubs in the area?

alcopop likes this.