1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elm Park Tavern -no longer a proper boozer in Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

not it';) s true, really;) I know so cos someone told me in a pub so it's got to be true

2. sir.clip

sir.clip Well-Known Member

what pub ?

that one in streathamm, Whats the name MMmmmm?/*"*^MMmmm

The elm park tavern ?

3. twistedAM

Anmd lest we forget the two pubs on New Park Road (behind the BRIXTON Telegraph)

Haven't been in them for a year but used to enjoy the Sultan and it's fine beer garden. Never went in the Fist In face much but it has its fans.

4. twistedAM

yeah that's the one; i was completey and utterly drunk at the time so I believed them when they also told me I was in Streatham.

5. sir.clip

Thats the spirit i like.... the one that comes insult free. :)
    :) acid house:)

6. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

A friend of a friend of a friend in a pub ;)

7. sir.clip

I know him... hes well safe geezer innit... wicked sorted... wheres me dry roasteds.....

8. christonabike

christonabike Elm Park Bencher

If you liked this pub, then you may also like the Lorne on Dalyell Road

:)

ie. stay out of my local and go infest my mates local

:D

9. twistedAM

I got four fillet steaks, two packets of smoked salmon and a huge block of mature cheddar off him for a tenner;)

10. sir.clip

Remember them blokes that sold cheap meat cuts in pubs...?

Fucking horrid... big lumps of pork & beef robbed from some where...
    I'd never bye them meat cutz of geezers in rebok classics.. standard..!

11. Minnie_the_Minx

That's what stews are for

12. twistedAM

where have you two been of late?

the smackheads know their clientele and for the past couple of years have been robbing that Jamie Oliver matured for 21 days stuff that costs twice the price of Sainsburys normal meat..so successful were they at this art that the other week I noticed that Sainsburys now put an electronic tag on those packets

the shoplifter's fave before that was Mach III razors which have long since gone behind the counter in supermarkets

13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

In good times, in bad times
    I'll be on your side forever more
    Oh, that's what stews are for

14. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Referring back to SW2/SW9 Debate Sorry.... :D

Old Original Brixton way be in ye old 19th century was SW2. I believe one of the Central Tram landmarks was on the corner of Brixton Hill and Morrish Road right up at the top end of Brixton Hill. Can't remember where I found this out...may have been in the SLP or on the web somewhere.

15. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

:confused:

Neither the SW2 nor the SW9 postal district existed until 1917. And prior to 1868, the whole area was part of the Southern "S" district, before it was divided between SW and SE.

But "the Brixton Road" would definitely have been regarded as the road leading to Brixton, rather than being the centren of Brixton back then. :D

16. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Only part of it, surely. And Railton Rd does go all the way to Herne Hill. Most of my street is SE24, but one end is SW2 - and we've got too different parking zones as well. V. confusing.

17. Minnie_the_Minx

There's a separate thread about that ;)

18. twistedAM

yeah, this thread was about drinking before sir.clip stumbled in so drunk he thought he was in Croydon;)

19. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

20. sir.clip

I dont drink alcohol.. I havent for 5 years 9 months...
    I stopped drinking to try and stop making mistakes.. seems not to be working...

Anyway i'll be in the elm park tonight rocking out to Queen with my J20..

21. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

You've frequently mocked it and its drinkers fairly mercilessly in the past ...

Easy to take that high and mighty attitude if people don't give a shit what beer or 'beer' they're drinking, or who aren't beer drinkers at all. I'm actually jealous (to an extent! :eek: ) of drinkers of standard 'lager' in this country, they can drink what they want almost anywhere. The beer becomes far more important when you get to a pub where you can't find something you like ...

Call me fussy, but I'm not alone in this ...

I know atmosphere/clientele is pretty important too**, and the Elm Park does sound nice. I'd like to try it whatever the beer, but it would be nice to know what they serve and no-one's told me this ... unless I've missed a post ...

**My empirical experience over many years is that when in a new town, a pub recommended by the Good Beer Guide will often be friendly, and will generally be pretty unlikely to be troublesome ... exceptions in both directions, but as a rule of thumb it usually holds good. Honest!

22. Minnie_the_Minx

Anyway, in response to Orang's original post, I found this:

When you have lost your inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.

:(

23. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Indeed!!!! :eek:

It's all 'bars' nowadays .... :(

24. christonabike

Can't remember what the bitter was like last time I was in

It's Pride or IPA - and is usually ok

Some twat was in there on Sunday, wanting Staropramen, they didn't have it but he made the barman list all the beers they have, and then decided to have Carling - he was a Spurs fan, so I was glad they lost

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let's hope they lose again tonight!

26. christonabike

I'm shouting for yers........

27. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

I see no problem with this- surely you are allowed to select what you want to drink from the options available?

But to choose Carling?!!! Yep, you're right, he's a twat!!

28. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

I'm a local born and raised in the area.

Elm Park Tavern is in between Brixton Hill and Tulse Hill.

Streatham Hill does not come into it at all.

Postcodes mean nothing round here, areas are definitely not defined by them.

29. Minnie_the_Minx

and it's not only the old pub atmosphere that's disappearing, but the pub signs as well :(

Oi, I thought you were banning yourself :D

30. Sounds about right to me and the last sentence is definitely the most sensible approach to this stupid argument :cool: