1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elm Park Tavern, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

The guys running it seemed really nice. Very friendly, chatting to customers, open to suggestions on how to improve things

2. shakespearegirl

I forgot to print my discount coupon but the were happy to discount me anyway

3. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

turned up on my fb.

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  4. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Why did I read that as "...happy to dismount me anyway"? :facepalm:

shakespearegirl likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I want the thread title to be accurate, so how best should the thread be titled?

6. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

If I make it to the Dulwich game tomorrow (and forgive this basically repeating what I said on the weekend thread) I was planning to go home via Brixton, where I lived for a couple of years in the early 80s.

I have had a peek on Google Maps and it looks like both of my old haunts are gone. (The Old White Horse and The Railway.) Not sure it's worth the trip. :(:mad: Very sad.

7. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

...a backstreet pub in Brixton?

Sounds like it's settled down into being a decent half and half. Not the ragged and charming boozer of yore but not a soulless gentropub either.

shakespearegirl likes this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

How about just 'Elm Park Tavern'? Lose the rest...

9. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

Wow so interesting to see this. I used to live on Elm Park and we were in most evenings for a pint and review of the day.

10. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Especially as it is one of the last remaining examples of a pub pub in Brixton. i.e. has not become another impersonal destination club pub. Good luck to them.

11. shakespearegirl

I'm really happy to have a nice pub on my doorstep. The lovely food is a bonus.

Twattor likes this.
  12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I like the pet, and I think the days of a pub surviving for long without offering food have long gone - it’s either a bit posh and food or flats.

Alex

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A friend posted this on FB: "The Elm Park Tavern. New management same shit beer..."

24291678_10155987624263980_6596075454030237297_o.jpg

:eek:

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

One comment

"Looks like actual turds"

:D

15. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

Craft beer?

£20 a pint.....

ViolentPanda likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hmm. My friend wasn't impressed at all with the customer service after CloudyBeerGate. They management sounds like a right bunch of wankers (for the record, my mate is not the argumentative type at all. He just wanted a nice beer)

Another urbanite added:
    Oh, and it was £5.80 a pint.

17. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This is all very poor, what was the beer in question ?

Alex

18. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Unlikely to be bad if it is keg beer. A lot of craft beer (and particularly vegan beer) is unfined, so will be cloudy. I've had plenty of beers that look even worse that that in similar places, and it is how they are meant to be. I could show you beers from a can that look just like that. Sometimes it is more a case of educating the punters.

Of course it does depend on the pub - if you get a beer like that in Wetherspoons then DEFINITELY send it back.

I'd be very interested to know what it was.

19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

More concerned about management reaction than the cloudy beer.

It's a shame really, because there was ropey beer in there before, but Matt was a very good landlord.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My friends are full-on real ales drinkers, by the way. Even if the beer is supposed to look like a liquid turd, they way he was treated was a disgrace.

21. Twattor

I've spent a lot of years on both sides of the bar and a lot of the time it comes down to the how the customer raises the matter. I've had people bring perfectly fine beers back claiming they were off just because they didn't like them, and depending on how they'd go about it i may or may not change them. I've taken beers back myself when i couldn't tell whether the beer was off or just a nasty beer - i ask the staff to taste them and tell me if they are OK, and 9 times out of 10 they'll tip them away and change them rather than being put on the spot.

If a customer was to bring a perfectly fine pint back and insist it was off when it wasn't, then I'd expect the bar staff to explain that it was OK, for the benefit of others who might be drinking the same beer - the last thing you want is a whole pub returning their pints for no reason. As a gesture of goodwill I'd expect them to offer an alternative, but without obligation and on the basis that there was nothing wrong. If the customer wouldn't accept the explanation and got argumentative, then they might well expect to be asked to leave.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sorry are you trying to suggest it was my friend's fault here? You know, the person you absolutely nothing about?

There was plenty of people who were equally pissed off with how the staff dealt with this issue.

23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Turd soup !

editor likes this.
  24. Twattor

Surely it comes down to whether the beer was actually off. I had a pint in there on Sunday afternoon that looked very much like that but tasted as it should. It might have been Mondo's Hop Chowdah, which is a challenging pint, so someone ordering it expecting a standard IPA would be surprised. That is why pubs offer tasters. It doesn't mean the beer is off or the pub should have to throw money down the drain because someone didn't like the beer.

There are two sides to every story, and you have been quick to slate the pub on the basis of one side. Have you asked them for their side?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're being slagged off because of the way they treated a customer who was part of a large group of locals spending a lot of money there. A customer who is over 50 and knows his real ale. But if that's how you like to be treated as a customer go fill your boots. You keep on defending what you know nothing about.

26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Maybe everyone was just having a bad day and they can all make up and be friends again.

.....and then fall out again over the price of beer...

27. Twattor

Pubs can't re-sell booze people send back. It is just lost profit. A lot of people spend money there and if they were to give free beer to everyone because they don't like what they've ordered then they wouldn't be open for long.

If you search "elm park tavern Brixton" then this thread is high on the results returned. Is is not fair to a recently reopened pub to be posting one sided unsubstantiated complaints without giving the pub right to reply. You have a duty in that respect.

EPT, K&C and Beer Lab take pride in their beers. EPT actually have someone brew for them unlike other pubs that just buy and rebrand. They don't knowingly serve beer that's off. I've never had cause to return a beer to them but from what I know of their staff I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

This, and the fact that I think I drank the same beer on the same day is why I doubt your friend's account. If I ran the pub, and if someone came in and criticised perfectly good beer, demanded I replaced it at my expense, and then posted all over social media when I didn't give them a freebee then they wouldn't be welcome back.

28. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I was actually there and they googled the beer to check what it was supposed to look like before complaining.

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So there crumbles Twattor's pointless and ignorant defence of the pub.

30. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I went there yesterday for the first time after reopening. It's sad about the bar shelves removal. It actually just makes he whole place more reverberant. Wide selection of beers, kind of too many really but they were happy to let us taste some of them. With so many beers on tap I'm not surprised about variable quality.

Still it was busy and just about still a pub. Seems to have opened up a whole market for families and i'm glad the 2nd room is still there.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017