1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elm Park Tavern, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Most pubs that aren't a JD Wetherspoons. A selection of keg lagers around £4.50-£5.00 for the volume drinkers, which i believe is pretty typical in london. Cask ales are likely to be cheaper, but they'll probably also have a selection of interesting keg beers which cost a bit more.

If i want a dozen pints for very little money i'll go to the Crown, but for a few halfs of something more interesting I'll go somewhere like K&C and pay a bit more. I've seldom seen people in K&C getting hammered smashing into multiple £10 pints - these are tasting drinks rather than session booze. People in K&C are more likely to be getting hammered from the modern horror that is the bottomless boozy brunch, which hopefully will not be coming to EPT.

alcopop likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The nearby Windmill is loads cheaper and the Albert down the road charges £3.70 for a pint of Amstel, and a fiver for a round of three shots.

3. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

The Windmill isnt much better tbh, as with all Youngs pubs!

The Alexandra, just up from the the King and Co on Clapham high street is reasonably priced.

4. technical

technical stripey

Had a peek on way home this evening as you can now see through the windows again. Looks like there's plenty to do if they're going to be open by the weekend, but the bar layout appears to be the same. I'd assumed there'd be more room for tables and chairs if they're focusing more on food - but i suppose they may have made the back room bigger.

So still looks like a boozer any road

editor likes this.
  5. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Think you might be talking about two different Windmills. I'm assuming editor means the Windmill in Brixton, whereas I guess you mean the Windmill on Clapham Common, as that's a Youngs pub.

The poor EPT hasn't had the best of luck. I have fond memories of it in its old backstreet boozer incarnation, but however it turns out, it'll be good to see it open again.

6. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Took a couple of pics on my way in. Not looking too awful.

Back room:

DSC_0869.jpg

Bar:

DSC_0867.jpg

7. clandestino

"Pint of cough mixture and two packets of aspirins please mate..."

twistedAM likes this.
  8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Boots the Boozer

clandestino likes this.
  9. clandestino

Still, I like it - looks good. Green flock wallpaper reminds me of the Canterbury.

10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Hopefully the walls don't crumble like they did in the Canterbury....

11. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

It's not a proper pub unless is serves jumbo sausage in a roll.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd take a crumbling wall over a nu-Brixton poshbar any day of the week!

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  13. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Last night they had brick brewery bitter for 3.80.

A pint of craft beer for less than 4 quid, in central
    Clapham, most of the other ales were less than 4.60

Alex

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, that's much better, although there's no reason why 'craft beer' should always be expected to be inherently expensive anyway.

15. Twattor

There is, simply because it is mostly brewed by tiny breweries who don't get the colossal economies of scale of the majors like AB InBev, Heineken International etc., who use far more expensive ingredients, and are more labour intensive. You get what you pay for.

Smick and Mr Retro like this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You can still brew beer in smallish quantities and sell it for a reasonable price - unless you're after the biggest profit. There's plenty of smallish breweries offering beer at prices that don't destroy the wallet. Producing your own beer has become much more affordable these days.

17. Twattor

Possibly if you're brewing English style cask ales with English hops and malts, or brewing at home for personal consumption. Most popular beers these days are brewed for keg rather than cask (a far more expensive brewing process) and with new world hops imported from the antipodes and the Americas. Expensive methods and expensive materials equals more expensive beers.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nope. There's plenty of small scale breweries who are happy to produce limited run beers and it's no longer the huge expense it was. I know this for a fact because I've done it in the past and I'm currently ordering another largish batch now. How about you? When was the last time you produced a beer?

19. Twattor

You're conveniently forgetting about product differentiation. You might just as well be saying: "Fiat cars are cheap, I don't understand why Ferraris are so expensive". There is a lot more to it than simply attributing the price to the brewer's greed.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*Actually, I can't be arsed. I've brewed many hundreds of bottles of 'craft beer' and know exactly how much it costs, and there's no point arguing with someone who hasn't and it's got little to do with this pub.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Offer for locals!

23415244_10210530526488374_6963353576071536424_o.jpg

22. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Sure, but are you saying that the only reason beers vary in price is margin ?

Because that’s blatantly rubbish, cost depends upon ingredients, scale, distribution cost, beer duty is charged at about 10p per pint per percent of alcohol, you pay vat on the final price AND then there is margin.

So the American beers price you quote above, can you think why that might cost more per pint than green king ipa ? ( ie ale at the Albert )

Alex

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:facepalm:

24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Two posts up

“I've brewed many hundreds of bottles of 'craft beer' and know exactly how much it costs,”

Alex

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, I know exactly how much the beer I brewed cost and for that reason I know that not all craft beer has to be inherently expensive. That's what I stated many posts ago and it seems a pretty uncontroversial statement to me. However, you seem determined to spin this into a dull argument but I'm sorry I'm out.

26. Twattor

That's a disappointing response. You've commissioned rather than brewed. You've used others' facilities and probably received a discount on costs as it was charitable.

Again you choose to ignore that beyond getting beer straight from the brewery it has to go through wholesalers to outlet, both of whom have overheads, office costs, bills, staff costs (and I'm sure there would be an outcry if you thought staff weren't getting LLW). Costs at the brewery aren't the same as costs in the pub.

I'd rather live on a world where pubs survive and you can get an interesting beer, even if I have to pay a bit more for it.

elmpp, alcopop and alex_ like this.
  27. Twattor

I can report that sadly the vinyl covers artwork is gone from the gents, although the dodgy drainpipe on the stairs remains.

In other respects I love the new pub. 6 handpumps, possibly 12 taps. Maybe 3 ciders and 5 lagers although none of the big brands. Loads of ales and even Brixton's latest sour if you like that sort of thing.

I'm uncertain about prices as I'm buying halfs but most expensive pair of halfs has been £4.40 (beer not lager), which I don't think is bad for London.

alcopop, billythefish and Winot like this.
  28. technical

technical stripey

Went in for a drink on Saturday afternoon. It’s actually changed very little bar redecoration. Even seems to be pretty much the same choice of beer (cheapest pint is £4.30). Suppose the big change is they’re doing food, but didn’t see anyone eating. Menu was short but looked good (there were several veggie options).

So definitely still a proper boozer to me.

Twattor likes this.
  29. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Had lunch there today. Food was lovely. Not really a beer drinker but there seemed to be a good range. Was packed, turning over tables rapidly.

clandestino likes this.
  30. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Not a surprise it’s in an big gap between pubs - the white horse, the crown and sceptre and the hootenanny - all of which are at about half a mile away.

Alex