1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elm Park Tavern, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Read the relevant thread again, you loser!!! :p :D

2. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I'm an ex postman and know all of em, but that point is very, very true :cool: :)

3. Loupylou

Loupylou Well-Known Member

Oh fuck me not this - I live in the part of SW9 of Brixton.
    Had a row with someone in Scotland over the phone when I tried to correct the 'Stockwell' bit on the address they were writing to me on, it's because it came under the Post Office district or something.

4. OpalFruit

OpalFruit Well-Known Member

Estate agents are rapidly re-inventing the bit off Elm Park as Streatham Hill. I saw a house on Claverdale advertised as being in Streatham Hill.

Do they think it will sell better if they airbrush out any reference to Brixton or Tulse Hill? Even though house prices are higher in Brixton than Streatham Hill?

Madness.

5. Bob

Bob Rusesabagina for a nobel

:)

6. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Just spent a pleasant ten minutes talking to an old drayman whose beat this used to be in the late 60s/early 70s. Told me the Elm Park was well known throughout London as an actors and writers pub and was actually very plush compared to others in the area.

Even more interesting was that The Hand In Hand apparently used to have lock-ins for Osgood and the Chelsea players on Sundays.

was pretty amazing to hear how pubs on Brixton Hill have changed over the years.

7. christonabike

christonabike Elm Park Bencher

It's got fucking busy lately

I have no source other than Brixton tittle tattle but it's right up there for a re-fit

8. brixtonvilla

brixtonvilla should be Oslovilla, really

Can't see it happening - looking at where it is it's never going to be a destination pub, is it? It's a neighbourhood boozer, somewhere to watch the footy and eat crisps. I just wish they'd turn the lights down on the pumps in there - I go half blind whenever I order a drink...

9. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I love the EPT.. those quiz nights were fun. I had cake there on my 22nd birthday or something.

Best pub in Brixton by a gadzallawallion.

10. passpat2

passpat2 New Member

not been busy today then ?? ??

11. twistedAM

hee hee...they're a distraction to drivers on the way past..i always look in on the way past and those things are bright and the rest of the place look dark...it's all you can see from the outside

12. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

:eek: You mean they'll be wallpaper on the wall next to the door? :eek:

13. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

What's Elm Park like to live in then apart from having a proper pub? We've seen a flat there that we're thinking of moving to.

:)

14. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

It's nice!
    Only thing that's a bit annoying is that a number of drivers use it as a cut through between Tulse Hill and Brixton Hill and so you get a small amount of traffic going way to fast.
    Apart from that, I really like it. It's fairly quiet, 2 good shops with friendly shopkeepers and an excellent boozer :)

15. twistedAM

yeah it's a good cut-through between Tulse Hill and Brixton Hill..drivers esp cabbies use it cos you come out on Brixton Hill at a light which is recommended procedure for attempting to get out on the Brixton Hill raceway

it's not really somehwre i'd fancy walking around alone at night though...am sure Minnie has comments to make on this

16. Minnie_the_Minx

Nice enough road to live in, having lived there since 1985. Since the congestion charging and parking permits and the amount of churches that have sprung up though, parking places seem to be disappearing although this issue is being addressed.

There's a couple of local (expensive) shops halfway down, a launderette, a chippy, a post office, and of course the pub.

Unfortunately, it is a bit hit and miss safety-wise. Due to the way the road turns, if you're coming from Brixton Hill, it's a bit of a blind spot and I and others have been victims of attempted muggings. Having said that, I'm sure there's plenty of other people who HAVEN'T had any trouble, and you could have the same trouble in any road, anywhere, so I wouldn't let that bother you.

All in all, not a bad place to live, and only a few minutes to Brixton Hill and 8 bus routes and in the opposite direction a 5 min walk to Brocky

17. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Hmmmm. We haven't actually been to the flat yet, so it depends on how irresistably lovely it is, I suppose. I'm used to living in places that some people think are full of trouble but where I have seen none of it and feel safe. Haven't lived anywhere that anyone I know has had trouble... Hmmmm...

Thanks for the info :)

(and sorry for the derail!)

18. Minnie_the_Minx

there's some lovely big houses down there on the left-hand side opposite the shops.

I really wouldn't let a few attempted muggings affect your decision. It could happen anywhere.

Josephine Avenue's a beautiful road but there's no way I'd choose to live there unless they improved the lighting etc.

19. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins Trainee Kiwi

We've lived there for almost 4 years and haven't had any trouble and Minnie's right, there are some lovely houses.

20. Minnie_the_Minx

Exactly. I lived there for years before I had any trouble, whereas a guy I rentd my flat to temporarily was attacked within a couple of weeks :D

But that was just bad luck

21. brixtonvilla

Elm Park rocks - love it here. (Just round the corner acksherly, but wtf)

22. Minnie_the_Minx

Elm Park wannabe :rolleyes: :D

Which corner?

23. brixtonvilla

See PM, Miss Minx...

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Update from someone on FB:
    :mad::(

25. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Sad news.

Big respect to Matt the Landlord who left on Sunday.

He took my boy under his wing and taught him a lot about the pub game, and really looked out for him.

sealion and editor like this.
  26. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that EPT is part owned or linked in some other way to the people behind Brixton Beer lab, and also connected with King & Co on Clapham Park Road.

The King & Co model would work well there as they have virtually no kitchen - monthly residencies for up and coming chefs with a very limited menu.

27. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Weird because it's had a big exterior redecoration and some interior work done upstairs of late. They put some staircase in that made an already small pub tiny.

Hope it'll still work as a pub.

28. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

They've been renovating the flats upstairs for a while. A few years ago they applied to fill in the rear garden to enlarge the building - the enlargement would have been the full height of the existing building. From memory it was rejected due to blocking light from adjoining properties in Archbishops Place

29. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

They've clearly been working at this for a while - application in 2011 to create a self contained flat at third floor followed by an application to remove the restriction that it is ancillary to the pub, then an application for the infill which is claimed to be ancillary to the pub at ground floor only but which actually means just the kitchen as the residential aspect is wholly self contained.

The new consent shaves a bit off the pub to create a corridor serving the new flats above and contains no restrictions whatsoever about retaining the accommodation for staff; however, the third floor flat access is actually through the flat on ground and second floor (which i didn't realise was still permissible these days) and i would imagine would be detrimental to amenity and value as well as having implications for fire stopping.

link here: 000P5RBOBU000 | Elm Park Hotel 76 Elm Park London SW2 2UB

30. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I really like the pub but the last couple of times I've been in (mid-week) it's been pretty empty. Only time I've seen it packed is for the quiz evening. Is that representative or not?