Elm Park Tavern, Brixton - chat and news

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

It's even noisier now as there are no soft furnishings to absorb the noise, with the bar shelves gone the tiles behind the bar just make it worse. On the plus side the smell from the bogs of detol or whatever it was has gone!

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  2. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually know what the beer was ?

Alex

3. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Went for Sunday lunch, on Sunday obv. Pretty decent grub, beers ace, wine OK.
    Staff were lovely!
    Will go back and try mid week evening food.... soon

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Does it matter now? Ruby Toogood clearly said, "I was actually there and they googled the beer to check what it was supposed to look like before complaining."

5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

This is the problem with the internet: Individual opinions and experiences, which until the advent of the WWW had had a limited impact on the fortunes of a business, are now seen as carrying a potentially critical influence thanks to the power of the interwebs.

FFIW I’d like to think most people will still have the presence of mind to give a place a go regardless of what they might have read about it based on the experiences of one or two anonymous punters on the net. But I can’t blame the owners of the businesses in question for being apprehensive about what iymt’s published online about them.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're more than welcome to post their thoughts here without any censorship at all. As far as I can see almost all previous mentions of the place have been positive - in fact, many urbs used to go to the quiz there (myself included). So it's not a hostile forum at all.

But just to put the record straight about this instance: these weren't random internet people with an axe grind.

Some of them are long term urban posters and many in the group are people I know personally and almost all of them are long, long term Brixtonites. They're the kind of people who like to support pubs and that's why around 20 of them went along to the Elm Park Tavern. To piss them off so completely really is some achievement.

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Popped in yesterday (xmas day). Guy working behind the bar was a bit of a dick.

He left us stood there for five mins while he 'popped a bag across the road' (instead if just serving us then popping the bag across the road)

When he returned I asked to taste two IPAs and he said 'you're pushing your luck now'

I replied that if he wanted me to buy a drink then I wanted to try them out first, he said 'I'm only joking' and maybe he was, but it didn't feel like banter to me. Just cocky bollocks.

We only stayed for one drink, but during the time we were there he got into an argument with some bloke outside, then they both came inside and they carried on arguing quite openly.

He came off like some jack the lad hipster coke head....

ETA: He did give an old chap a replacement alternative pint for one that wasn't to his liking....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From recent reports, I'm finding it hard to find any reason to make the effort to visit this place.

9. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Really, don't bother. I was there the evening of CloudyBeerGate - I wrote a review on their Facebook page, and over the following days had a very involved (but polite and civil) email exchange with the owner about what had happened.

He asked the staff about what had happened. Yes the beer is supposed to be cloudy, but not as deeply cloudy as it was.

The real issue, however, is the rudeness of the the staff. Had they dealt with the situation in a good-hearted and cooperative manner, they wouldn't have lost the custom of the group of 20+ locals who were there, spending hundreds of pounds on food, and most of whom won't ever set foot in that pub again.

I'm going to stick to my friendly, welcoming local - The Hand In Hand.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    editor likes this.
  10. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I feel a bit sorry for the owner actually. He tried hard to do the right thing and find out what had happened. But if you have staff who have an attitude problem then you're going to alienate quite a large section of the community who care about these things. People who want a pub to be a community space, a Public House, not just a place where a transaction occurs.

blameless77 and editor like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If I lived closer, the Hand would be my local too. Top pub!

12. han

han brixton hill hobbit

I must clarify, I never post reviews up of anything unless my experience has been either very bad, or exceptionally good.

And I always make an effort to be very polite and friendly to bar staff , as I know what a hard job it can be. But it needs to be reciprocated.

13. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'm not sure who the geezer that served me is, but his pic is all over their promotional material...and I think he realised he was being a bit of a cock and did try to bring it back to a 'bit of banter'...