1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephant and Castle shopping centre: an honorarium

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by IMR, Sep 29, 2010.

1. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

It can be liked for what it is, which is somewhere a bit more interesting and different to how shopping centres usually end up.

2. JWH

JWH Fnord Fiesta XR3i

If you define the reason you like it in terms of what it's not compared to other things then that sounds like a gesture...

3. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

If something's held to be different for good reasons, then that amounts to appreciation, I'd have thought.

I like the place, maybe you don't. But so what?

4. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

coronet is the best place ever* for getting e'd up and listening to loud techno.

the dragon castle restaurant is quite grand and has very nice food.

*in my admittedly limited experience.

5. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

yeah ... i always thought it looked better pink

6. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

It's unique, horrific & interesting, but the place has a desperate charm....I'm quite fond of it for the reasons I've mentioned.

7. Spion

Spion I hear ya

Lived close by for 9 years so lots of memories from this thread. Is the Turkish barber still on the ground floor? Best barbers I ever went to, that was.

8. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

Yeah, Dragon Castle is a wicked restaurant, top scran.

9. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

There used to be a Nigerian food cabin at the bottom of the complex outside the Tesco's training centre. It was called Suya Spot II- The proprietor used to be a famous news anchor in Nigeria.

10. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

It's an odd and slightly depressing place, but I like that it's a bit of a time capsule. Somehow I'll miss it when it's gone.

11. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Love this I do :cool:

12. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Song is called Underpass. Sounds like its from the eighties.

13. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

yes Underpass by John Foxx, I remember it well..

14. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

They tried so hard with the Elephant and Castle underpasses. Coloured mosiacs and positive ideas and themes. Has it worked?

15. tbaldwin

tbaldwin the experts are morons R.I.P.

Really? I went there thought it was really overpriced crap....The best food is from the oriental van outside the shopping centre....the noodle bar is shit as well.....The area seems to be really changing i imagine it will all be very different in 5-10 years. It is so central and it seems money will be moving in and poor people moving out....

16. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'll be sad to see it go too. It's like a little bit of Eastern Europe shipped to London.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have been meaning for a while to make a point of going down there to take some more photos.

bimble likes this.
  17. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

18. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Anyone notice dragon castle in Party Wars? That was my brothers girlfriends mates birthday. :hmm:

19. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

roughly where I'm coming from, I guess

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's people handing out copies of the 'Elephant Echo' by Brixton tube. It's another of those fucking ghastly developer cod-newspapers for the TWO FIFTY ONE development. It's as smug as it is hateful.

Poi E and Pickman's model like this.
  21. Sea Star

Sea Star Not a cis person

I was working at South London house in 1999 - above the E&C LU station - and because I was living in a house with no floors, no kitchen and no bathroom I tended to hang around elephant and Castle after work to drink, eat and on one occasion went to see the new star wars film, which I believe was the last ever to be shown at the Coronet. I remember being the only person in there apart from an old homeless gentleman sitting near the front. I also noticed that there was a hole in the wall through which you could see the street.

Just before that I went to the offie opposite to get some cans of lager and the guy managed to get chicken grease all over my cans. I had to go somewhere to wipe off as much of the grease as possible before I could drink it and I've felt a bit sick walking past that shop ever since.

22. Sea Star

Sea Star Not a cis person

we used to sing along to it inserting 'Underpants' for the actual title.

23. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

looks like a shithole.

Sea Star likes this.
  24. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Whens it going? I used to love that shopping centre when I studied there. It was so weird.

25. Silas Loom

Silas Loom Mum's primitive, acidic pear crumble (7,7)

Honorarium? That's an upmarket tip. What is the thread meant to be about?

26. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Not seen this thread before. I worked around there in the 80s when the shopping centre was a dreary, bland, soulless mess. Since then it's become a splendidly wonderful slice of poor London. Love it.

And it's got the best living wall I know of

E&C.JPG

sealion likes this.
  27. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

An older one
    E&C 1969.jpg

28. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

The old Abc cinema
    abc cinema e&c.jpg