1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephant and Castle shopping centre: an honorarium

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by IMR, Sep 29, 2010.

1. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

Good things about the Elephant and Castle shopping centre:

It's cheap to shop in.

You can get a good cup of coffee from the Colombian stall/hut on the upper gallery.

The bingo hall was opened by Jeffrey Daniel of Shalamar (true).

The market round it is scruffy-looking but ok, with a good range of little snack huts and stalls.

In fine weather, people set up tables in the market in the evening and play dominoes.

Obalende Suya Spot trailer had the best example of the signwriter's art in London, an enormous colourful sign with a bold-looking rooster brandishing a petrol pump under the words 'The Filling Station'.

It had two fairly decent secondhand bookshops, although sadly they're gone.

Crap things: too much traffic, subways smell of piss, Strata tower.

2. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I like the smell of the floor polish in the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre.

3. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

The pink outside colour scheme was better than the ugly dark red paint they must have got on the cheap, because no one else wanted it.

The unfortunately-named 'Butts' pub, also painted pink, now a Chinese buffet with signs inside saying 'Like This' (a drawing of a foil tray filled level to the top), and 'Not Like This!' (civil engineering feat with vast mound of food rising out of the tray).

4. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

It has what I believe to be the only milk bar in London (mamuska). And it has a bowling alley on top. Go to both on a Thursday and it'll only cost you a tenner.

I love me some E&C. It reminds me of childhood holidays in Poland.

5. Stoat Boy

Stoat Boy Banned Banned

I used to like the second hand bookshops.

And it can have a dystopian feel to the place although I often think you see more smiling faces in there than you do in some much smarter and affluent hell hole such as Bluewater.

6. southside

southside Banned

I don't really like the place, it sort of run down and there is a depressing elament to it's atmosphere that I cant put my finger on. I know it is an iconic marvel of post war britain, it seems a bit downtroden and has an air of improsperity and sadness that I find a little off putting.

And you can get fucked up and mugged there after a certain time in the evenings too.

7. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Slightly less surprising: The toilets adjacent to the station entrance were opened by Simon Hughes MP.

8. southside

southside Banned

Didn't he get done for cottaging ?

9. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

No never heard that.

10. cybertect

11. IMR

IMR well-meaning tosser

It's because its days are numbered.

12. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

The inside of the E&C complex feels like it is the set from the 1978 film 'Dawn of the Dead'.

13. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Honorarium, n., an ex gratia payment made to a person for their services in a volunteer capacity or for services for which fees are not traditionally required.

14. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

It was painted that colour for Red Nose Day way back in the mists of time.

15. miss minnie

16. miss minnie

17. miss minnie

18. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

That's :cool: In my mind it's green. Pizzeria Castello is still near, the coronet is still a cinema with rodents and broken seats. Is there still a swimming pool? Bowling was great. Better than streatham.

19. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

I went there for the first time in ages a few weeks back, albeit on the way through to the train station. Picked up some very nice veg, finger chillies and coriander for a pittance, checked out the Kaiteur Kabin Guyanese shack and initial thoughts were that they had some decent stuff at good prices in the market

Yep, it does feel a little run down and it's not where I'd personally be shopping for the more luxurious things in life, but it seemed a practical and cheap source of everyday groceries

20. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

I've never been inside. Suppose I should have a bit of a wander around it, really.

21. miss minnie

22. miss minnie

23. miss minnie

... and mushrooms growing in the foyer carpet!

Ah, Castellos, that takes me back. :)

24. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

I'm a little disturbed by the fact that, on the right hand side of the picture, that's clearly a real human hand, pressed against the glass :(

25. cybertect

26. miss minnie

27. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

I quite like the noodle joint, and the stalls are always good for some find or other. Most of all, however, I like the fact that the place seems to have some sort of character - it hasn't been homogenised to death

28. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

it has the worst toilets but otherwise a great place, always interesting things going, how many shopping centres have a theatre ? the royal court has been there over this year. Cheap food from the Castle Brasserie and it has a genuine polish cafe too. I'll be sad to see it go really. It's not perfect but people make the most of it and the surrounding market.

29. JWH

JWH Fnord Fiesta XR3i

I can't like it even ironically or as a gesture.

30. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

I love the tiling in the subways :)