1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Avenue to get £2.6m funding to 'restore and revitalise' the street

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Is this connected possibly with the dedicated Officers required as part of the funding? From memory it was two. Lambeth have just 'relocated' one of the dedicated Brockwell officers to manage all parks in the north of the borough.

Seems like one step up, two steps back if this is the case with the funding.

2. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

If you remember this woman's old TV catch phrase
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

"Lambeth are a dodgy bunch of sharks"?

jakejb79 likes this.
  4. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Well I was up the market today and thought I'd ask a couple of my regular stall holders about this
    one was dealing with a stream of customers so I didnt bother
    the other was well happy with the proposals

5. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

That's encouraging. Any other stall holders commented do we know?

6. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

.....however he was not sure what the rent rises would be
    and he said the thinning out of the stalls is part of an ongoing process

editor likes this.
  7. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Fair enough. You would have thought if there were any rent changes, they would have been given ball park figures before a firm decision was taken.

8. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I really took notice of how many empty pitches there are down there - there are so many. Its the only thing thing thats makes enough space for all the shoppers at the moment.

Veg stall holders too busy for me to ask when I went there today.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I spoke to one of fruit & veg traders there. He declared himself none too happy with the proposals.

10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you still have illusions in the council :(

editor likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The traders are not happy at all with the 'gazebo' plans

Trader comment:
    Brixton Market traders' anger at £1m 'gazebo' plan

And a friend of Facebook adds:

12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Tricky Skills likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Tricky's Buzz post showed the idealised picture below, but they were moaning at the time they didn't have the money to pay for the gazebos.
    Maybe that has now been found?
    electric_avenue2.jpg

Tricky Skills likes this.
  16. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

The imposition of the Colchester gazebos led to the market losing four stalls. They were in danger of being hit by buses, being placed so close to a tight corner along the High Street.

They look charming, btw :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They sort of look like a bus. A flappy, cheap plastic bus.

Greebo likes this.
  18. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I don't mind then running down the middle. It's the cheap plastic institutional look of those particular tents which I think is awful. It's the execution rather than the general idea.

Meant to be a reply to you, CH1, rather than to myself :)

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Quite. It's like a new Channel 4 programme. OCD Cleaners Brixton Market Makeover.

Greebo and Rushy like this.
  20. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

Walked up Electric avenue today, the paving looks great and the wide open road to walk in was fantastic. Well done Lambeth for obtaining the grant, this will look spectacular and inviting when completed.

21. friendofdorothy

Have they finished part of the paving at last? This make over seems to have taken forever and the crush and rubbish as the market is squeezed into half of Electric ave have been really irratating.

22. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

Finished the first half, then traders will move into the completed area while the other half is being paved, they are doing a great job it looks fantastic, oh and so much less rubbish on the street.

23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

innit, friendofdorothy and thatguyhex like this.
  24. friendofdorothy

I know the opening was today, but have they actually finished the resurfacing yet? It looked a way off last friday.

I was speaking to one of the stall holders about the gazebos a couple of weeks ago - thought they were ridulously flimsy and wouldn't survive long in the wind and weather. His metal and wood construction had survived the bombing in 99 - he just needed a new canvas over it afterwards. I hope they haven't been forced to use them.

How was Eddy Grant? - did he rock down to...

Gramsci likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He wasn't there long but gave a good account for himself. Lib Peck was roundly booed by a large chunk of the crowd.

26. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Oh Wow, I was deeply moved, never did I ever think I'd be standing in Electric Avenue watching Eddy Grant sing his famous tune.

The lyrics were from another time talkin bout the 'dark side of town.' The markets are what make London great.

27. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

The bloke from the toilets was epic. Top turn.

colacubes, Greebo, CH1 and 1 other person like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yeah. He's a lovely chap too.

colacubes and Greebo like this.
  29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

At least Eddy Grant gave a nod to the late Norman Beaton - who was a resident of the Tulse Hill Estate (apart from being, like Eddy, Guyanese). Eddy also referenced the BCA (Black Cultural Archives) which someone near me needed explaining - as did one of the policemen.

Can'r remember all of what Lib Pick said - except she introduced Sadiq Khan, who got cheers as opposed to her own mixed greeting, and he introduced Eddy Grant. I think she said that the revamp was courtesy of Lambeth Council and the National Lottery.

No doubt Lambeth Democrazy will shortly Tweet a transcript of la Peck's speech.

Surely it is a unique experience to hear "Electric Avenue" live in Electric Avenue - with a glancing reference to the Mayor in the lyric.

Greebo likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

bimble and Greebo like this.