1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Avenue to get £2.6m funding to 'restore and revitalise' the street

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 24, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Sadly, the iconic canopies aren't coming back, but here's what the money is for:
    I asked the Project manager of the project:
    The response:
    More info: http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/09/...funding-but-the-canopies-wont-be-coming-back/

Gramsci likes this.
  2. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Although it will be great to see the place done up and the buildings above used as homes, I can't help think this is another way to move out a whole bunch of shops tenants and those who live above the shops not necessarily because they want to get rid of the people but because they can make more money. It's all about making more money.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's what I fear too. I can easily imagine how lovely and investment-friendly the street will look once it's tarted up ("it's the new Brixton Village!"), and I can equally imagine the trendy little stores all moving in...

Greebo likes this.
  4. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

That outcome is possible - and undesirable. But the street could do with a tidy-up - trees growing out of houses!

Greebo likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think I'd prefer that to a nu-Brixton Village appearing.

6. leanderman

Surely there can't be the demand for a doubling of the number of restaurants etc

There must be some limit.

Lucy Fur and Greebo like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Trouble is, once you become a full-on, Time Out lauded 'destination' there seems to be very little limit to how many restaurants, quirky bars, trendy shops, crafty stores, hubs and creative industries a place can take.

Twenty years ago, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Hoxton and Shoreditch couldn't possibly need any more bars and restaurants.

ska invita, Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  8. leanderman

Of course. But it might not be the same.

Some parts of the East End, such as Bethnal Green rd and Whitechapel road/Mile End, are markedly unchanged.

Greebo likes this.
  9. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Shame the canopies aren't being reinstated,,,,

10. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

thinking more in the short term I wonder who the owners of all the premises down electric ave who will be copping for these 85% grants are, and whether the refurbished premises will command higher returns than presently. also wondering what will happen to the day to day activities of the market once these extensive works start along with influx of scaffolding, skips etc etc, it could get a bit hectic

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. leanderman

Probably the same kind of owner as the landlord on BBC R4 today bemoaning the fact that government energy grants had not been paid on his 17 buy-to-let properties that he 'cannot' afford to improve himself!

Gramsci and Greebo like this.
  13. leanderman

That's basically Shoreditch. From top of Brick Lane eastwards it has hardly changed since I left there in 2006.

Also, Brixton may be different to the inner East End in other ways: location, transport, access, housing, employment etc.

Brixton may go the same way. It may not

elmpp, Leo Chesterton and Greebo like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's loads more trendy stuff to be found east of Brick Lane, honest.

Greebo and SarfLondoner like this.
  15. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

that sounds suspiciously close to the thinking behind Oval Quarter :hmm:

Greebo likes this.
  16. SarfLondoner

SarfLondoner KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

Doe's lambeth own the flats above the shops?

17. leanderman

The property with the tree growing out of an upper wall was owned by a landlord, according to the shopkeeper below

Greebo likes this.
  18. SarfLondoner

People sitting on a goldmine!

19. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Where will the stinky meat shops go?

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. We live above one of the butchers, our flat is already what you would call "done up" however they are really nice (high ceilings, large rooms) so its a real shame to see that many of the places down the street seem to be empty. This news can only be a good thing, imo to say it should be left in its current declining state because there is a risk that doing it up could attract further investment is nonsense.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the decline shouldn't be addressed, but there are very real concerns about how this might be done. Several people have voiced their concerns that these improvements could see long term traders and residents being hoofed out.

I'm not sure where you stand on that, but I am very much against such an outcome.

Greebo likes this.
  22. SarfLondoner

I was wondering what restrictions if any will be imposed on the shops and stallholders once it becomes "residential"

23. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

It already is residential.

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  24. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

What steps do you think need to be taken to ensure that doesn't happen?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What I'd like to happen is never going to happen, so there's little point in listing them. Do you have any practical suggestions?

26. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I'm no expert in this area, I'm afraid. I suspect that there is very little that can be done to stop rents rising as an area is improved/gentrified (choose your preferred term). In terms of residential property I'd like to see the end of tax breaks for landlords and longer protected tenancies, but as you say that isn't likely to happen any time soon. I can't see that not making improvements to an area is a solution though.

elmpp and BigMoaner like this.
  27. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

should have eddy grant open the refurbished street with a rendition of his 1982 single, 'electric avenue'

equationgirl likes this.
  28. Pickman's model

shoreditch has always had well-defined borders, and everything east and south of st leonards is tower hamlets, as is everything south of hackney road and east of goldsmiths row.

29. SarfLondoner

I meant once it's re developed/gentrified,

30. Pickman's model

tbh councils are often confused about what they own. i am aware of several properties in dalston which hackney have bought twice and even three times in different decades.